• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New Purchase - CJ Mustang

Russ

Last week I was able to purchase a 1973 Mustang 351 CJ convertible from the original owner, Jim Babbitt of Flagstaff. Jim Babbitt also owns the Ford dealership in town, and he stored this Mustang in his dealer warehouse since 1982. The car was special ordered for his daughter as a graduation present in 1973 and came equipped with the 351 CJ motor, 4 speed transmission, AC, PS, PB, outside racing mirrors and a clock. The color is typically 1970's: the paint is Ivy Bronze Metallic, the interior is Avocado comfort weave vinyl and the top is white!! Fortunately, the car never saw any salt, is rust free, has only 73,500 original miles, and hasn't seen the light of day for 23 years!!

Upon inspecting the car through the dust, I noted the car had all its original factory parts, including the exhaust system and mufflers, factory shocks, original carburetor and alternator. Even the original Motorcraft fanbelts remained on the car. The interior and top are like new and the paint is in exceptional condition, although, I believe the car has been repainted one time. About the only flaw I can find is the plastic dash has cracked from the sun. This car is a true SURVIVOR!

Once I got the car home, I began cleaning it up and changed all the fluids so I could get the car running. One week after purchasing the car, I took it back to the Jim Babbitt Ford, and the salesmen were impressed with its condition. I also recharged the A/C, and it works perfectly. The car drives like a dream, and has a much softer ride than any of my 1968 Mustangs.

The best part of all was when I checked the Marti Report. I found that only 293 convertibles (of 11,300 convertibles produced in 1973) came with the 351 CJ motor and 4 speed trans, and just under 1000 came with the avocado interior (While I wouldn't pick this color interior, it does stand out with the paint color). This is a neat car that I'm going to just maintain and never restore....it's just too nice! I thought many of you would enjoy the car.

Russ

Attachments

• 100_1526.jpg
    100_1526.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_1527.jpg
    100_1527.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_1528.jpg
    100_1528.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

68gt390

Russ;
Congrats on your purchase. Very nice looking car. I do have to say it is an interesting color combination. Try not to have to much fun.

Don :cool:

still looking for one

That's a great catch. Provenance and originality in a very nice car to start with. That will fit in real nice in your collection. '73 was the very last of the original collectible Mustangs!

Mustanger

Russ said:
... I found that only 293 convertibles (of 11,300 convertibles produced in 1973) came with the 351 CJ motor and 4 speed trans, and just under 1000 came with the avocado interior (While I wouldn't pick this color interior, it does stand out with the paint color). This is a neat car that I'm going to just maintain and never restore....it's just too nice! I thought many of you would enjoy the car.

Russ

Russ,

It looks like you got yourself a fun car ... hope you not only cruise with the top down, but also push that Cleveland and row through the gears!!!

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Rich,
I had purchased the wheels for my 1968 GT a few years ago, but I think they fit better on the convertible. The wheels are original (not the repros) American Racing Equipment torque thrust, 14X7" with a 1/2" positive offset. The tires are 235/60X14 T/A's. The original convertible wheels are 14X6" steel with dog dish hubcaps and beauty rims and GR78X14 thin whitewall tires. They are stored in my barn. Since the tires were 30 years old, I thought it prudent to install new tires so the car could be driven, plus the torque thrusts look SO much better.

Russ

BroadwayBlue

Russ said:
Rich,
I had purchased the wheels for my 1968 GT a few years ago, but I think they fit better on the convertible. The wheels are original (not the repros) American Racing Equipment torque thrust, 14X7" with a 1/2" positive offset. The tires are 235/60X14 T/A's. The original convertible wheels are 14X6" steel with dog dish hubcaps and beauty rims and GR78X14 thin whitewall tires. They are stored in my barn. Since the tires were 30 years old, I thought it prudent to install new tires so the car could be driven, plus the torque thrusts look SO much better.

Russ

They look good! I like them!!