• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS purchase info

kbarnes68

I recently found a GT/CS for sale in Tucson, but I'm looking for information as to its worth. It is a 289 automatic car that is in fair condition and is currently a daily driver. The numbers all match, but it needs interior and paint, along with minor body work. The asking price is $7,000. I know without looking at the car it is hard to value it, but does this seem reasonable?

Additionally, the car is green and was originally green with green interior. If I change the colors, will it reduce the resale value of the car?

Any information would help

Midnight Special

I recently found a GT/CS for sale in Tucson, but I'm looking for information as to its worth. It is a 289 automatic car that is in fair condition and is currently a daily driver. The numbers all match, but it needs interior and paint, along with minor body work. The asking price is $7,000. I know without looking at the car it is hard to value it, but does this seem reasonable?

Additionally, the car is green and was originally green with green interior. If I change the colors, will it reduce the resale value of the car?

Any information would help

Welcome to the site.

On the surface, $7K seems extremely reasonable for a driver. Check for rust, rust, rust including pouring water into the cowl vents (as Neil suggests) to make sure water doesn't enter the interior behind the dash.

IMO since all numbers match; it will reduce the collector value if you change the colors...

Diesel Donna

Well well! Just a coincidence but I bought my Lime Gold CS with green interior and 289 in Tucson, circa 1974 for 800 bucks. I kept the colors as is.

franklinair

$7K sounds very good IF:

Verified C/S (Marti Report)
The cowls don't leak.
No serious rust issues.
Engine OK (O/H=$1500+/-)
Trans OK (O/H= $700+/-)
Your brief description sounds like you may have a good one. To re-do the interior is not too difficult or expensive. Paint & body depends on condition, and what level of quality you desire. If you're able to some of the work, you can save a lot of $$$.
Keep us posted as to more info on condition, (photos would help) and there's a lot of info & advice on this site.

Neil Hoppe

OP
OP
K

kbarnes68

Thanks Tim.

The info helps, this car was a fluke and simply showed up at work. I was really looking for a 66 "A" Code, but the GT/CS is really cool. It has always been an Arizona car and there is no rust that I can see. Where is the crowl? and what is the best way to look for rust?

The car is missing the right 1/4 panel extension, but has the left one. On the GT/CS these are non-functional correct? they are simply for looks.

The women who is selling it says she has a report on the car and I believe it is a GT/CS car.

OP
OP
K

kbarnes68

Neil-

Thank you for the response. This is probably going to sound like a dumb question and I asked Tim the same thing. How do I check if the crowl is leaking? I inspected to exterior of the car and didn't find any rust and the floor pans are original. The owner's son did cut the dash and back deck for stereo components, but other than that the interior just needs to be redone.

franklinair

The cowl is the louvered area in front of the windshield (where fresh air flows into the car). Simply pour a cup of water (6 to 8 ounces) into the louvered areas and see where it runs out. It Should exit at the lower rear corner of the front fenders (do the left & right sides). If the water runs inside the car (where your feet would be), the fresh air cowl vent is rusted through. A fairly common problem with all Mustangs. Fixable, but a bit of a job.
The quarter panel extension is for looks, and they are available.

Neil

Midnight Special

...Neil's your guy! Plus alot of others here if you stand by!

At any rate, it's sounding more like a fantastic score. Please see if you can get photos sent to be posted here and that the documentation she has for you is hopefully a Marti report. No other documentation save for the original window sticker will verify it is a GT/CS.

franklinair

kbarnes68;
In ref: to the dash & rear shelf being cut to accomodate stereo equip:
The rear shelf piece is easily replaced. I'd have to see if the dash was badly butchered as far as where the radio fits. One alternative would be to cover the area with the console piece (which would also require installing a console). They are available used.
Keep us posted with any additional info. Photos are worth a 1,000 words.

Neil Hoppe

mmarsalone

The dash on a 67 and 68 Mustang should not have to be cut to accomodate a stereo. Only the radio bezel, and I'm sure they're available aftermarket. Should be a real easy fix. And original radios are available on Ebay all of the time. There's a difference between 67 and 68 radios though most people will say their radio is for either year. The correct 68 will have black push buttons while the 67 will have chrome. Plus the 68 will say PHILCO on the dial and the 67 will say FORD. I usually pour a pitcher of water down each side vent to check for leaks. It shouldn't matter how mych you pour, but like was said, none should fall on the floor boards.

franklinair

I agree with what you say about the '67 & '68 radios - BUT - kbarnes said the dash was cut. I'd have to see to what extent in order to come up with a definitive fix.

Neil

CALIF GIRL

Maybe the bezel is missing, that would make it appear that the dash was cut.

OP
OP
K

kbarnes68

I'm assuming everyone who has resonded to the original posting can read this, so I want to say thank you for all the responses! The car was not at work today, so I couldn't look at it further. I have my digital camara, so if it shows I will post pictures tomorrow night.

As to the dash, I was told by the seller that her son cut it, and when I sat in it there was a very wide deck in it, but I couldn't tell the extent it was cut. The car does not have a console presently, is there any way to determine if it had one from the factory?

Like I said, thank you to everyone who replied and I will post pictures as soon as I can. Are there any pictures or angles that are most helpful in evaluating the cars condition?

@Holmes

Get a basic 25 buck Marti report faxed to you. All you need is the vin - its worht it before spending any dough. It will list all the options and even if it did not have a console you can still add it. As for the color IMO that any color / motor chage will hurt the resale value. A properly 2v shoots out of the hole faster than anything else. 7K??? its a steal.

dpheyes

What part of Tucson is it in? My Dad, (former '68 GTCS owner (now it's mine) and current '07 GTCS owner) lives and works in SE Tucson and could possibly provide some expertise.

If you need body and or interior work done, we know a great Mustang body guy in Tucson who will be available as soon as he finishes mine !)