• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

"X" 390 GT/CS for sale (black on black)

ahainline

how about a thread on a California Special website? :rolleyes:

thank you for your "advice". I have already spoken to a few members here about this topic and havent really gotten a straight answer. IMO people emotions get in the way of determining the real value of a car.. say you for example, I could ask you what the value of a 390 CS would be and you may be biased since you own one yourself, so you could wish/assume that the value is more than it really should be for you own selfish reasons. OR so that you feel like you have something great that someone else cant... like say... a Ferrari? Not to judge anyones character though. :rolleyes:

And just a side note, I know a highly optioned 289 isnt worth the same as a low optioned 390. That was me sarcastically bashing NADA.. sarcasm doesnt translate well over the interwebs :icon_no:

390cs68rcode

OR so that you feel like you have something great that someone else cant... like say... a Ferrari?

You can have a Ferrari too if you put your mind and hard work into a business and it becomes successful. It's called the American Dream. Good luck in your pursuit of it. :flag:

OP
OP
M

Magnum

and if I didn't already say it......

if I were looking for a 390 CS this one would already be in my garage.

Thanks for all of your kind words guys! I really hope that someone from this site will come along and buy this car and get some great enjoyment out of it.

Thanks again,

David

OP
OP
M

Magnum

Clearing some possible confusion

Just in case there is some confusion. The car will be put back together before the new owner takes possession. This means the front end will be back on the car with new chrome and new front bumper. Lucas foglights will be mounted, new hood turn signal wiring installed, etc... The inside of the doors will be painted the appropriate black and new door handles, window cranks, etc... will be installed. The car is not being sold in pieces where someone has to finish putting it back together.

Thanks,

David

68gt390

Please keep in mind that the "X" code engine is the same as a "S" code engine but with a 2 barrel intake and carburetor. Thanks for your interest!

As a side note, I will post a copy of the Marti report shortly

First off let me say this - Very nice car but, your comments above I have to disagree with. The two engines are not the same. The 390 GT engine first appeared in the 1966 Comet and Fairlane and then in the 1967 Cougar and Mustang. The 390 GT uses the same block and oil pump as the standard 390. Oil pans were stamped steel and some even had the windage tray. Cam shafts were the same as the 428 CJ from 1966 thru 1968 (the 1969 being different). All used a single point distributor. The crankshaft, rods and pistions were also the same for all 390's. The heads were different from the standard 390. The GT heads were machined and cast to accept the 14 bolt hole (per side) exhaust manifolds while the 390 "X" code used only the 2 bolt exhaust manifolds. The GT exhaust manifold was also taller than the "X" code. On the "X" code, swap out the heads, exhaust manifold, intake and carb and you have the "S" code motor. Based on these changes I would not say the motor's were the same.

Don

RedGTvert

First off let me say this - Very nice car but, your comments above I have to disagree with. The two engines are not the same. The 390 GT engine first appeared in the 1966 Comet and Fairlane and then in the 1967 Cougar and Mustang. The 390 GT uses the same block and oil pump as the standard 390. Oil pans were stamped steel and some even had the windage tray. Cam shafts were the same as the 428 CJ from 1966 thru 1968 (the 1969 being different). All used a single point distributor. The crankshaft, rods and pistions were also the same for all 390's. The heads were different from the standard 390. The GT heads were machined and cast to accept the 14 bolt hole (per side) exhaust manifolds while the 390 "X" code used only the 2 bolt exhaust manifolds. The GT exhaust manifold was also taller than the "X" code. On the "X" code, swap out the heads, exhaust manifold, intake and carb and you have the "S" code motor. Based on these changes I would not say the motor's were the same.

Don

428CJ in '66 or '67? I may be incorrect, but if memory serves me right the CJ did not come out till 68.5.

OP
OP
M

Magnum

Verbal Verbal

Guys -

This has all been great stuff and during the night I received a verbal "sold" on the car. From all indications, I feel the deal will take place. Thanks again for your interest.

David

68gt390

428CJ in '66 or '67? I may be incorrect, but if memory serves me right the CJ did not come out till 68.5.

Miss wording on my part. What I should of said is that the "camshafts" used in the 390's were the same as those used in the 428CJ. I know the CJ's didn't appear until 68.5.

Don

ahainline

Guys -

This has all been great stuff and during the night I received a verbal "sold" on the car. From all indications, I feel the deal will take place. Thanks again for your interest.

David
David, congrats on the sale, hope everything goes through for ya!! Its a very sharp car :grin:

Don
Don, great bits of knowledge there. Posts like that are exactly why I come to the site!

OP
OP
M

Magnum

Everyone -

Thanks very much for all of the refreshing posts regarding my car. This has been a fun and informative process for me as the seller. I feel that I know more about this car than when I started and that is a good thing.

The buyer and I am playing phone tag but I am confident everything will flow smoothly once we talk. He was in contact with me early on and made the final decision last evening.

Thanks,

David

PS - These cars are some of the best and I have enjoyed owning and playing with this car.

classicsguy

Everyone -

Thanks very much for all of the refreshing posts regarding my car. This has been a fun and informative process for me as the seller. I feel that I know more about this car than when I started and that is a good thing.

The buyer and I am playing phone tag but I am confident everything will flow smoothly once we talk. He was in contact with me early on and made the final decision last evening.

Thanks,

David

PS - These cars are some of the best and I have enjoyed owning and playing with this car.

IS the buyer from this site? I REALLY hope it is!!!

aemoo28

Look here, I'm listening with my ears open.

I thought I'd found my black CS and purchased it. It's not really black per Marti- but it's black now. I'm still looking, I guess, for a real black CS, but for now I have in my possession a car more rare than any black GT/CS.

Anyone ever seen a Pebble Beige GT/CS? Hmmm??