• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Don's 390 GT For Sale

68gt390

Actually, I got rid of the car about 5 months ago. The person who picked-up the car from me now has it for sale. Hopefully it goes to a good home. I know I enjoyed owning it. The attached photo is my new project I picked-up when I got rid of the GT. Considering the amount of work I put into the car this is actually a very reasonable price to say the least. I had not driven the car for almost 4 years and really had no need for 2 68's sitting in my garage.

Don

Attachments

• Dons 93 LX 2.jpg
    Dons 93 LX 2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

robert campbell

Don,
What a beautiful and rare 68 GT Coupe. Wish I had the money, that is a great buy in my mind!

Date code of 30 H. That decodes to August 30th 1967. A very early San Jose car. Unit number of 102106. My car is 123143 out of San Jose. 21,000 units in between. My date code decodes to 2 January 1968. Both these cars have the early recessed reflectors. Certainly the 21,000 units are all types of Fords down the line, but this low number, IMO, is indicative of the strike at Ford in the late fall of 1967 I would guess. Or mayber 21,000 units in 4 months is normal production?

I would love to get close to this car to see how many oddities are present due to the early build. My car has a bracket that attaches to the roof and holds the mirror and sun visors vice the glue on mirror. And the mirror was (I replaced it) different that most 68 cars. I saved it, but everthing makes me think it came with a 67 mirror assembly

What a great buy!!!

Rob

68gt390

Rob;
You are correct. The car was sitting on the line during the strike. It actually has the knee knocker pads on the dash and the piller post pads on it. Although the Marti report shows a 3:25 open rear gear the car actually came with a 3:50 open rear gear and I had it coverted to a Detroit Locker posi. Plus as you can see in the photo's on ebay, it has the rear defroster which is very rare. I can't remember off the top of my head but, I think the car was delayed until Sept sometime.

Don

robert campbell

Don,
My car has a rear window defroster also. Marti verified. And it actually does a great job!!

My car does not have the knee knocker pads. Do you remember the rear view mirror as to whther it was a "glue on"? That strike made alot of early 1968 cars come out way different than people thought they would. And I think it had an effect on early GT/CS cars. I noticed thei coupe had a GT gas cap. As it was a GT, it should. My car was not GT optioned, and has a 67 GT cap on it vice the GT/CS running horse. It was has been said that a few early GT/CS cars may have come with GT caps.

I think there are lots of oddities due to the strike that may contradict Marti reports.

Rob

Perkchiro

Rob;
You are correct. The car was sitting on the line during the strike. It actually has the knee knocker pads on the dash and the piller post pads on it. Although the Marti report shows a 3:25 open rear gear the car actually came with a 3:50 open rear gear and I had it coverted to a Detroit Locker posi. Plus as you can see in the photo's on ebay, it has the rear defroster which is very rare. I can't remember off the top of my head but, I think the car was delayed until Sept sometime.

Don

Hey Don: Was wondering about your Detroit Locker. I'm really wanting to change out the gears and go with a posi. I've got an 8" rearend with 3:00 gears and it's a little slow off the line. Any suggestions? I'm open to ideas.

Ruppstang

I restored a 68 fastback for a orginal owner who ordered the car and it sat on the line during the strike as well. I was one of most poorly constructed cars I have ever worked on. The rear cabin area was so out of square the fiberglass panels did not fit properly. He told me when he took delivery of the car there was glass in back seat, he was told that someone tossed a bag of bolts through the rear window and the had not even cleaned up all the glass. They put the wrong speedo gear on and he was off by 15 mph. The Ford dealer also had to change the rear axel because the tubes were welded in the pumpkin at a angle and the car tracked funny. He told the dealer he did not want the car and the dealer discounted the car $400.00 and fixed the things so he took it. Not a great frist new car experance. I think there were a lot of unhappy worker at Ford at that time. I'll try to find a picture of it and post it latter Marty

Attachments

• DSC02227-1.JPG
    DSC02227-1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC02228-1.JPG
    DSC02228-1.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

68gt390

Hey Don: Was wondering about your Detroit Locker. I'm really wanting to change out the gears and go with a posi. I've got an 8" rearend with 3:00 gears and it's a little slow off the line. Any suggestions? I'm open to ideas.

Steve;
I'll send you a PM on the posi setup.

Don

68gt390

Don,
My car has a rear window defroster also. Marti verified. And it actually does a great job!!

My car does not have the knee knocker pads. Do you remember the rear view mirror as to whther it was a "glue on"? That strike made alot of early 1968 cars come out way different than people thought they would. And I think it had an effect on early GT/CS cars. I noticed thei coupe had a GT gas cap. As it was a GT, it should. My car was not GT optioned, and has a 67 GT cap on it vice the GT/CS running horse. It was has been said that a few early GT/CS cars may have come with GT caps.

I think there are lots of oddities due to the strike that may contradict Marti reports.

Rob

Rob;
The mirror was the correct glue on type. I would tend to agree with you about a lot of oddities in the cars that were on the line during the strike. You may recall that one of the items they deleted due to the strike were the knee knocker pads and piller post pads to help cover pay increases that came about with the strike.

Don