• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

"X" 390 GT/CS for sale (black on black)

ahainline

Is the X Code a 265HP engine or the 315HP engine? Looking on NADA and couldnt figure it out. Either way I guess my 289 w/ AC is technically worth the same as a lower option big block according to NADA.

OP
OP
M

Magnum

Tony -

I don't think NADA really has a place for the "X" code but I don't know. Regardless, the "X" code engine (as I am told) is identical to the GT engine except it has a 2 barrel intake and carburetor. That is the only difference. It even has the GT exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust like the GT engine will have.

Thanks,

David

RedGTvert

Is the X Code a 265HP engine or the 315HP engine? Looking on NADA and couldnt figure it out. Either way I guess my 289 w/ AC is technically worth the same as a lower option big block according to NADA.

The X-code for '68 was rated at 280hp, the S-code is rated at 325hp.

ahainline

The X-code for '68 was rated at 280hp, the S-code is rated at 325hp.

OK, I was just going by what NADA was saying. b/c according to NADA a 289 with AC is valued higher than a 390 X Code with nothing. Debating on whether it would be smarter to keep a higher optioned 289 or spend a lot more a get a lower optioned 390... opinions? I know it would be easier to sell a 390 just b/c it is a big block and in the real world that is what true muscle car people want.

calspcl

Seams like a no brainer - 4000 or so GT/CS's, only 300 or so with the 390 engine option. X or S code, its still a big block.

franklinair

Big blocks in general, are turning into gold. Couple that with a C/S option, and you've got a quinella. The C6 makes it a trifecta!! As an investment for future value, its a winner.

Neil

franklinair

Tony -
You buy it, and I'll make the ULTIMATE SACRIFICE, and drive it up to OH for you.:icon_ecst

Neil

OP
OP
M

Magnum

Hey guys -

I am enjoying reading all of this about my car. I think some good spirited fun is a good thing. While I may not raise the price of the car, here in the south it might cost the buyer an extra RC Cola and Moon Pie! Thanks for the kind words and the additional information regarding the BB cars. 76 "X" cars is very interesting.

Thanks again,

David

Doug

Just reading these posts today "made me" take my 390 4V auto out for a spin to the gas station; well okay just a spin around town. If my wife would let me I'd buy another one. But if I do that my son going to want it and that can't happen.

Good luck in selling your car - black is such a great color.

OP
OP
M

Magnum

Thanks Doug!

These old cars are so fun and refreshing to drive. Before this car was ever painted I took it to a local cruise-in and it was the talk of the event because most had never seen a GT/CS in these parts. Their jaws really dropped when they heard it crank and they saw what was under the hood. You just cannot beat a big block for eye appeal when people open the hood.

David

Midnight Special

...I commuted my S-code (auto) all last week. The "4-speed" S only comes out for special events.

How I would love to add an X, but that would be too XS'ive. So I hope she gets a good home w/ one of you soon :)

P.S. oh yes - the sound! :)

Attachments

• vbpgimage-1.jpg
    vbpgimage-1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 30
  • vbpgimage.jpg
    vbpgimage.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 39

390cs68rcode

OK, I was just going by what NADA was saying. b/c according to NADA a 289 with AC is valued higher than a 390 X Code with nothing. Debating on whether it would be smarter to keep a higher optioned 289 or spend a lot more a get a lower optioned 390... opinions? I know it would be easier to sell a 390 just b/c it is a big block and in the real world that is what true muscle car people want.

please stop using NADA for pricing on California Specials.

RedGTvert

please stop using NADA for pricing on California Specials.

Not just for CS's but for all cars. NADA is a joke and people should only use NADA for insurance purposes, and nothing more.

Contrary to popular belief, Big Blocks are not gold. Just look at the market and see what is going on. All cars, whether it be small block or big block are way off in sales and prices.

The only cars that seem to be holding thier own are resto-mods and clones, and they are still not bringing anywhere near what people have put into them.

DeadStang

Seams like a no brainer - 4000 or so GT/CS's, only 300 or so with the 390 engine option. X or S code, its still a big block.

Yep!

Hmmm, 289/decked out CS vs. low/no optioned big block CS...which to chose? #3 guesses and the 1st 2 don't count!