• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How much did you pay for your Special?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Just curious what people paid for their cars originally. Obviously car condition and when it was purchased will have a huge impact on value, so this won't really help determine what they're worth. It's just a fun statistic to see what others have paid.

Feel free to elaborate on your purchase story if you like. :)

68sunlitgold

$3500 I guess I got a great deal since it has no rust and all the original parts, except hood-locks and grille which I was able to pick up original parts (front end accident). And all that with only 84,000 original miles.
I actually used this website to find my car, thanks Jon. But always looking for others sleeping in some barn or garage.

hookedtrout

$5,600 with somewhere just over 80,000 miles, a new paint job, and rust free as well. Still don't have any rust issues but the paint is no longer fresh, the interior needs a fresh set of upholstery, and the miles aren't in the 80's anymore. Old man time just seems to take his toll on things. The important part is the car runs great and no matter what state the car gets in, it is still in my possesion and it's stored inside my garage out of the elements. All the time taking toll elements are pretty much reversable with a little tender loving care and the near future holds that for mine. It will be fresh again someday soon.

Cory

Talan423

i paid $5700 for mine 3 yrs ago. all of the fiberglass was there and tail lights. had been hit on the L/F side ,so was missing the fender, grille was crunched, hood locks missing, no fog lamps, valance, stone shield. no rust at all!! underside still has original red oxide primer. was re-painted red (bad paint job). 86,000 miles on odometer. 8k tach. wish there was a way to find the original owners. sold in los angeles, found its way to arizona, now in michigan.

L8GR868

Hi
I paid $450.00 14 years ago. I did a title search and in Oklahoma on the old titles it shows the delivery price of $2687.41.

66joej

I have owned 6 GTCS cars over the last 14 years and have paid from US$1500 to US$12000 for them. The current one was most expensive but is a true factory GT car with no rust, a great thing for us here in Canada.

68 special

I paid $3500.00 3 years ago in Tacoma,Wa.. Ithas a little over 89K on her. It had the usual rust on top of the fender aprons and the battery box and one spot in front of the drivers side rear wheel. They were asking $6000 and I offered them $3500.00 and they took it. I;m restoring her to suit my likes and tastes. All stock with a few options.

gtcsjcode

I paid 20000, but she is a true GT and has options, I have the Marchals on her now. She's rust free and a constant show winner. Best investment I made. My family and I have alot of memories and still do alot of things in this car that keep giving us great memories.

Original California Car, Sold in California, and still resides in California.

rvrtrash

I starting to feel like I paid to much. It's a good thing I like the car. I paid $5,000 a year ago, the car was complete but it had been hit in the back end and wasn't running (Sitting since 1981). No rust except battery apron and top of shock towers, 302-4V numbers matching, has air, AM/FM with deluxe door panels, console. I've stripped the front completely down and am restoring it now, fixing the rust, replacing or rebuilding the susp. and steering, then it gets an engine/tranny rebuild and off to the paint shop. I want it running by April 19th, this year.
Steve

PB gtcs

Folks,

My brother Paul and I paid 3300 bucks, car was stripped, we have gotten some parts from previous owner. Expect to get more, its a 289 auto car, we have a 302 c4 to put in included in price. The previous owner is working with us to get the parts we need. will have to buy a hood, deck lid and rear fender extentions. Anybody got those??

have done from frame rail work, had rear quarters taken off today, will get rocker skins off tomorrow. In short, a real restoration.

Brian

Bluestang

I paid $10500. It is a 390 GT. Had been stored for 15 years. Missing console (anyone have a blue one they would like to get rid of ?). Did place in shows ,but after sitting for so long , has to be slowly brought back to life.70,000 miles. Has all parts except smog pump.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I guess I'll throw mine in there too. :)

In '96 I paid $2000 for my HCS as seen here. Original owner car with all the "special" parts still untouched. Original, but very faded paint. Straight body, although quite a bit of rust in spots including surface rust over most of the hood and top. It's not a GT or a big block and doesn't have much in the way of options, but I was happy to find it. :)

P

PNewitt

I paid $995 for my Special in April 1974 (it's the cover car for my first book). It had some Dodge Charger magnum type wheels on it back then, and some funny round yellow foglights bolted to the grille brackets. The couple that owned it (second owners) wanted to pay off their '73 Torino. My Special had 30K miles on it then...(it now has 430,000 on it, still with the original maroon paint). It also had a '65 auto console in it, and one of those '66 A/C units in it, which was taken out in '76. It wasn't until about 1979 that I found out it was a 390 car! When I bought it, the first owner put a Cougar 2bbl 302, and C-4 in it (because of the gas shortage), and the 390 from it was put in a boat! :eek:

Calspecialdreamer

PNewitt,

Have you had to rebuild the engine many times? What has gone out on it in all those miles? I would think with that many miles you would have rebuilt the engine a couple times!

P

PNewitt

The '68 Cougar (same engine as the Mustang one) 302 ran until the block cracked one night when I lived in San Diego at 217,000. Sludge on the dipstick!! This was back in 1982. Being a "starving artist" back then, I got a junkyard used 289, and put it in all by myself at a friends house (they should make a patch for that), and that lasted for about 120,000. The current motor was a rebuild 1965 289 ci. from Jim's Mustangs I've had since about 1984. It has the same Cobra intake and Holley 600, and runs strong. I religiously change the oil at 3K miles and use Castrol 10-40.

I also once "fried" a C-4 tranny going up the grapevine (Hiway 5 going south to L.A.)--a 6% grade for miles....and when they opened it up in San Diego, they said that it only had 10 miles left on it. I HATE HATE HATE the smell of burnt tranny fluid!!

I tell people that I've been "everywhere twice" in my GT/CS, from Canada, to Mt. St. Helens, to Oregon, and ALL of California! From the snow of Donner Pass and Lake Tahoe to the beach at the Hotel Del in Coronado, to the Craters of the Moon Natl park and Yellowstone!

Paul.

bigskygt

I paid 3800.00 in Sept of 01, complete car [some assembly required] with the complete orig. 289 in the front seat, it had a Maverick 302 in place, with a tag along car tow included. Asking price was 4900.00 in a car trader mag.
I ran the 302 for most of her restoration, now have the 289 back in, and running sweet. I think 3800.00 was a good deal, but the cost of restoration as you know, can be large, Love those mustangs.