• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How much did you pay for your Special?

007bluto

I've paid more than I should have, but thats life. Currently I have spent more money restoring it, than I originally shelled out for purchasing it. I'll be posting new pictures in the gallery, it's one of the finest GT/CS around. Bluto..... :p

hookedtrout

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=774;start=15#msg4292 date=1074641004]
I tell people that I've been "everywhere twice" in my GT/CS, from Canada, to Mt. St. Helens, to Oregon, and ALL of California! From the snow of Donner Pass and Lake Tahoe to the beach at the Hotel Del in Coronado, to the Craters of the Moon Natl park and Yellowstone!

Paul.
[/quote]

Craters of the Moon, now you're in my back yard. Drive through Craters pretty regularly to go Fly Fish Silver Creek near Sun Valley in Picabo Idaho. Picabo Streets home town. Wave next time you go through.

66 Dearborn HCS

I paid $1200, non running with a trashed interior, incorrect 302 motor laying on the crossmember. 2 bbl intake laying between the heads, sans carb. No motor mounts, no exhaust, no brakes, no clutch pedal. Six cylinder 4 lug rearend, 3-spd manual tranny is the only remaining part of the original driveline. dash gutted with original wiring harness hacked off and destroyed at the gauge pod. Original paint, minimal rust, nothing hidden except for the blown heater core damage.

Of course this is a '66 HCS with HCS "status" questions, and not a '68 GT/CS. But I still think the car was worth it.

P

PNewitt

But you know....

Whether you spent $400 or $14,000, how do you put a price on having something so rare and truly 'special"? This is the best year ('68) of the first gen Mustang, had the most safety features, shares the roofline with the '56 Lincoln Mark II, and was made for the California car culture. It's the best of all Mustang worlds!

EVERY OWNER I've spoken to LOVES their car. I have never seen such an allegiance to a car like this. I know how you love to wash these cars...spray the hose up the spoiler..and know every nook and cranny of the body....and you LOVE to see that spoiler in your rear view mirror, right?? This is rolling sculpture, and it's STILL a head turner--after all these years (why do you think Ford is coming back to 1968 for 2005??)

You can't put a price on enjoyment, and appreciation. If you felt you spent too much, then enjoy it all that much more, because you'd lose more in depreciation in a late model Mustang than the diff in this car....

BTW--I went through Craters on a Geology field trip to Yellowstone (circa 1978). I lost a rear seal on the C-4, and went through about 10 cans of tranny fluid crossing Nevada back home. Ever see a thick layer of hot red fluid on the backside--with a layer of dirt??

Also--we drove through a dinky little town in eastern Nevada...I'm thinking "ah, I bet they've never seen a GT/CS here!! And sure enough, right in my mirror is this ratty red CS with two local kids right on my tail! Dang!

Paul.

mike williams

Just bought it this Dec. in Ca. It's now in Ga. 302 - 4 speed with factory air and a rust free body. Love the car and intend to sell it soon. Mike

spork25

I just bought a '68 HCS for $1000. At the time I didn't know exactly what I got because many of the distinguishing features had been replaced. She's in pretty bad shape - rusty body, original 289 motor with who-knows-how-many miles doesn't run, interior trashed, and was a home for mice for several years.

Only one of the side scoops remains, and the body striping has been painted over in something close to the original lime-gold. It apparently has been rear-ended as the trunk lid, tail lights have been replaced with standard mustang parts.

Will probably submit some pictures soon, and ask (beg) for help in finding parts to bring this car back from the dead.

MArndt2001

In 1990, we paid $4,200.00 from a guy who bought it from the original owner (30 days earlier) and never titiled it. I guess that makes us the second owner. It's a 200 six cylinder and the only thing I am looking for is the small clip on top of the valve cover that holds the hard lines in place.

AZ68

I paid $3000 in 1995. We found it included in a classified ad for a Model A. The "GTCS Mustang also for sale" was just an add in and it cought our eye. It was growing weeds in the back yard of a 25 year old guy who owned the car for 13 years and cried when we drove it away. He had really built up a 302 and the car was drivable (barely). My dad ended up driving it home for me, but the rest of it was stripped down pretty good. Dusty had all the parts (door handles, side scoops, lucas fog lights, all original stuff) but it just wasn't on the car. It took a few trips to get everything home, but over the years it's been put back together and I think the price I paid with all original parts was pretty good. (Not including the original motor).

BrandonB

I paid a whoppng 13,000 BUT it had just gotten a fresh paint job only about 2 years old. It has original engine and tranny. It also appears SO FAR to have all original parts. Minus the carb and distributor. Interior is in great condition also the only thing wrong is a small tear as long as your thumb and my dome light was shattered but thats fixed now (dome light is).

J.Bart

I PAID $700.00 IN 2001 FOR A 302 4SPD POSI GT/CS, BUT ALL I GOT WAS A ROLLING CHASSIS WITH MOST OF THE FIBERGLASS, NO INTERIOR , FRONT CLIP, OR DRIVETRAIN.

Kahuna

Paid about $2,700 for her in 1968. From Paul Johnson Ford in Fresno. Move to Hawaii in 1971 and she has lived her ever since. I have had her painted (Once) and the front seats re-covered, new rug and Headliner. everything else on her is original, she has never had her valve covers off. Yes She runs great. Abot 60,000 Miles give or take.

68gt390

Recent purchase Feb 04 out of Seattle, WA. Paid $16,500. Car was completely stripped down in 97 with needed body work and new paint. Engine rebuilt even though odometer shows a little over 54,000 miles. Some may think I paid too much but, if it makes you happy than how can you pay too much. It's a true GT optioned car with 390 ("S" code) and 4 speed (code 5).
As evidenced by pictures I have posted to site, paint is in excellent condition along with exterior chrome. Interior needs some work (dash panles and carpet), and a few trim items are missing from engine area (Fan Shroud, Auxillary Air Inlet Vacume Motor, and original manifold). Other than that car has all original parts back on it. Plus, it looks great sitting next to my 68 GT 390 Coupe. Besides, I've wanted one from the day I first saw them in Calif in 1968 while a Junior in High School. ;D

Diesel Donna

The car was for sale for $1,600.00 but I thought that was a fortune so I said no. Then the guy said..okay $800.00. I still thought that was high, lol but my mom said okay and she bought it for me but she kept the pink slip til I paid her back.

I stumbled across the car accidently because we had taken a <gasp> Camaro to mom's mechanic to check it out for me. Lucky for me he said it was a bucket of bolts...and then "how about that Mustang over there?"

WOW!

lupaa

I paid too much, but she has no rust (not even the battery tray). she has been hit in the front drivers fender. It will take about 2 years to complete the restoration. To be continued........

CalPaul

This will make folks happy here. I paid over $20K for mine. It basically exceeded all of my requirements. 50K miles on car at purchase, a true GT, rebuilt 302 motor, rebuilt C-4 tranny, 3.25 gears, new exhaust system, and as near as I can determine all original except for a new Holley carb. Interior looks great (no cutting ever done); exterior is very nice except for the requisite paint chip here/there. I spent more than I had planned but rationalized (don't we all?) that it needed no further $$ infusion. So there you have it. I'm thinking of of adding some "go-faster" equip but nothing that can't be reversed later.
I like Don's post up above!! I think you scored with your true GT 390 4-spd!!!

CalPaul

to give you a timeline perspective, I purchased my car in June '04.

Diesel Donna

CalPaul-

But a lot of people had to put 20k to make them look nice! So it all balances out huh!

Mine was bought in January 1974 and it was jacked up in the back with mismatched rims, lil chrome splash guards and tall hood pins with padlocks. Hmmm ..he had also cut holes in the kick panels to mount stereo speakers and added a wood steering wheel. But that was pretty much it, it was rust free. When I started to put it back to stock I went up to Burch Ford in La Habra, Ca. every paycheck and bought one part at a time with the discount from my employer. A lot of the stuff wasn't available yet so I had to buy a red and a blue kick panel and paint them green. Finally some suppliers came out with some green things! Not too bad a car for 800 bucks.
~~~~Donna

meadowsdk28

I paid #3500 in 1993. I've said it before but the guy I bought it from said his wife gave him the old "either the car goes or I go". I saw her and never understood that! Such a pretty car....

CalPaul

I've gotten the "either the car goes or I go" look B4, but nothing verbal yet.......Or maybe I need it in writing?? But then I'd probably just go stash it in a friends garage! ;D