• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

ebay 390 gt/cs UPDATE!!

Diesel Donna

BroadwayBlue said:
Heck Donna you are classy lady, you're more than third class. Give yourself some credit :grin:

Awwww shucks....(looking at ground and scuffing toe in dirt)
Thanks Rich! :smile:

x-codegtcs

Sounds like you have a great car to start with.

The welding does sound weird on the tower - probably the prodcution line stopped and the guy that is supposed to weld the two sides of the plate onto the shock tower got bored (?) and left his "signature". I have found things like that in my cars as I have restored them, not to metion bit-o-honey wrappers - vintage 1968 - under the carpet.

The engine is highly unlikely (never say never with ford) a 360 from a Cougar. The Cougars all had the 390's (bigblocks that is). The other "evidence" is that the 360 heads did not have the cross bolt pattern on the exhaust ports -so you could not bolt the correct headers onto the engine and the truck headers won't tuck into the compartment on the mustang.

Lastly, why is it that everyone else has numbers stamped on their engine and tranny! :( Of the two that I have with original motors when I bought them, neither have the numbers. I guess they were too busy signing shock towers with arc welders....;)

I would keep it drivable. That is where the fun is...

Happy stangin'

Bryce

mca

8r01s159387

There is a yellow grease pencil number "6" on the passenger side floorpan seat riser. The 390GT heads are dated November 24, and November 28, and are from a 390 GT Cougar. The block was too far gone. Purchased another "390" that turned out to be a "360", so I used the crank and rods from the 390GT block. The blocks are the same bore and have the same size crank journals. The intake is dated March 15, 1968. The exhaust manifolds are dated left side April 28, 1968, right side April 19, 1968. No build sheet was found. Why do you want to throw away the original doors and hood? They are the originals and have the factory date codes stamped in them. They are artifacts to the history of this car. You are throwing away your investment value of this car in those parts. Those items certainly were not in any way damaged or had any rust through. You cannot claim matching numbers, that hurts a little bit, but ok, many collectors can deal with that, but now you cannot claim "original body sheetmetal" either. The two most important factors in musclecar valuation.

Last edited:

68gt390

mca said:
You cannot claim matching numbers, that hurts a little bit, but ok, many collectors can deal with that, but now you cannot claim "original body sheetmetal" either. The two most important factors in musclecar valuation.

How many cars out there can still claim original sheet metal in the first place. I don't think changing sheet metal (if done properly) hurts the value myself. I have two San Jose Cars, a GT Coupe (original sheet metal and 390 engine) and my CS (sheet metal replaced, 390 replaced with 428 CJ) and neither has hurt the price of my CS to date. The FE cars will continue to appreciate with or without original sheet metal. That's my take on it.

Don :rolleyes:

390cs68rcode

some people will pay more for original sheetmetal and original drivetrains. You just have to find that person. I know a few people like this.

390cs68rcode

just trying to discuss your statement Don.

How do you know know what you have done has changed up or down the value of your car? The only way to know this is if you have sold it.

All the cars that are increasing in value are only doing that on paper. You do not truly know what your car is worth until it is sold. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

again, I am not trying to cause anything negative here but rather talk about car values in general.

68gt390

Jason;

It's a hypothetical question anyway you look at it. Granted I have not sold my car and don't plan on selling it. I'm basing my statement from comments I have already received at several show's I have attended since replacing my engine and from 2 local restoration shops in my area. As you say - there has to be 2 parties willing to deal. There is a buyer out there for everything. It's putting those 2 folks together at the same time and place that matters. One of the judges who looked at my CS this past weekend asked me what kind of price I would put on my car now that it has the 428 CJ versus the 390. My answer was what ever someone is willing to pay. He estimated somewhere around 50K. Even the write-up I have on my car states it is an original "S" code car. Let's also throw-into the mix the fact that both my cars have been used to make a diecast model from and are authenticated as such with a letter from the model maker. What type of mark-up does that put on the cars? Again, hypothetical. It's whatever someone is willing to pay. My point was, replacing sheet metal doesn't hurt the selling price of the car. I know there are folks out there that feel different. That's fine.

Don

390cs68rcode

I agree the die cast models of your cars adds value. It would if I were buying your cars from you.

good conversation on the subject.

68gt390

390cs68rcode said:
I agree the die cast models of your cars adds value. It would if I were buying your cars from you.

good conversation on the subject.

Jason;
That is the main reason why I don't think I will ever sell either of my cars. They will go to my son and my girlfriend. How many folks can actually say their car had a model made after it. Not to many.

Don

mca

As with other subjects I have commented on in this forum, all we can do is agree to disagree. Let me put it in a hypothetical situation. Two Shelby GT-500's at auction, identical in condition, color, and options. One is all original matching number drivetrain and original sheetmetal, the other non-matching with replaced quarter panels and floorpans. Which one will sell for more? Let say you have 250K to spend on one, and the guy has these two for sale in the garage at the same price - are you going to say that you don't care which one he delivers to you??

Mustanglvr

If he`s selling them for the same price, does`nt that tell you something?

Mosesatm

mca said:
As with other subjects I have commented on in this forum, all we can do is agree to disagree. Let me put it in a hypothetical situation. Two Shelby GT-500's at auction, identical in condition, color, and options. One is all original matching number drivetrain and original sheetmetal, the other non-matching with replaced quarter panels and floorpans. Which one will sell for more? Let say you have 250K to spend on one, and the guy has these two for sale in the garage at the same price - are you going to say that you don't care which one he delivers to you??
I think there are at least 2 factors that may throw a wrench into your example. First, these are not $250,000 cars so a GT-500 may not be the best car to use as an example. Second, you are correct that there are some people who will pay more money for an original sheetmetal car, so in the strictest sense you are correct, but I think that the majority of buyers for cars in this price-range are not concerned about such details, and waiting for that one buyer who wants an all original car may not be the best option.

GTCSMustang

Gosh, I hope original/matching number cars are worth more than non-original/non-matching number cars. If they aren't, let's just all build GT/CS clones...I mean RECREATIONS.

Arlie, I called you a couple of nights ago and left a message. Did you get my message?

Scott

GTCSMustang

OK. Give me a call if you are still interested in talking about my GT/CS. I have someone coming to look at it tomorrow, but don't know how interested they are.

Scott

Perkchiro

Just an observation I've made on this subject. As many of you have done, I've watched Overhaulin, Wrecks to Riches and the Barrett-Jackson auction. It seems to me that an original car, with original sheet metal brings a far higher value at a sale or auction. That being said, I've also observed elevated and often outrageous prices for clones and restored rust buckets. I really think that there's "muscle car fever" out there and people will buy what's pleasing to their eye. So, I think replaced sheet metal may matter to a few, but to the many, I don't think they give a hoot. Just my observations and 2 cents.

Steve

Mustanger

Perkchiro said:
Just an observation I've made on this subject. As many of you have done, I've watched Overhaulin, Wrecks to Riches and the Barrett-Jackson auction. It seems to me that an original car, with original sheet metal brings a far higher value at a sale or auction. That being said, I've also observed elevated and often outrageous prices for clones and restored rust buckets. I really think that there's "muscle car fever" out there and people will buy what's pleasing to their eye. So, I think replaced sheet metal may matter to a few, but to the many, I don't think they give a hoot. Just my observations and 2 cents.

Steve

... I think you may be right ...

Mosesatm

This may sound a little odd, but all of you should be used to that by now, but I'd rather have a car with new or repaired rear quarters, floors, and door skins. An original sheetmetal car is most likely going to rust in those areas and I'd rather not spend a ton of money for a car that is going to surprise me some day.

68gt390

Mosesatm said:
This may sound a little odd, but all of you should be used to that by now, but I'd rather have a car with new or repaired rear quarters, floors, and door skins. An original sheetmetal car is most likely going to rust in those areas and I'd rather not spend a ton of money for a car that is going to surprise me some day.

Arlie;
That was my whole point.

Don

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:

you would rather have new repro body panels over original panels?