• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

ebay 390 gt/cs UPDATE!!

68gt390

390cs68rcode said:
you would rather have new repro body panels over original panels?

If those original body panels are starting to rust through or need extensive repair, you betcha.

Don

Mosesatm

68gt390 said:
If those original body panels are starting to rust through or need extensive repair, you betcha.

Don
Ditto, as long as the repros look right.

Mosesatm

Wait a minute.

When we say "original sheetmetal car" are we talking about original, never been touched, or are we talking about being repaired with NOS?

Of course, I'd rather make the repairs with Ford parts over repros but I'd rather have repaired-with-repros over never-been-touched.

390cs68rcode

for me I would like to have a all original sheetmetal car with original paint if possible. I probably would not buy a car that needed sheetmetal work. If I happen to buy one that needed metal work I would find NOS metal to replace the bad stuff.

GTCSMustang

There's really no reason to buy a rusty GT/CS. There are plenty of rust-free ones around. A HCS is different because most of them went to Colorado. But most of the GT/CSs are still in California and remain rust-free. If the car was in a wreck, then you have a choice to make...whether to repair it with repro, NOS, or original (used) sheet metal. If you're looking at a big block GT/CS you could find yourself in a situation where you have to buy one that needs some work. They're obviously much harder to find. But if you are looking for a 289 GT/CS just buy a rust-free one out of California and save yourself the hassle of replacing panels.

Perkchiro

For me, I would restore a car that needed metal work and replace those rusted pieces with new metal so that that car could live on and be enjoyed for many years. That's exactly what I did with my car, and I expect to pass it down to my son, because it will outlive me. I don't think it detracts from the car, because its worth more restored than it was in the original condition. Sheet metal is sheet metal. I don't get hung up on NOS vs aftermarket. I've found that Ford tooling does fit better. I would challenge anyone to tell where metal work was replaced by just looking. It's very well hidden and I don't think the average Joe could tell the difference or would really care.

Steve

PFSlim

I am going to have to agree with Steve on this one. We could have let our GTCS go to the junk yard but instead decided to restore it. I am not sure I could have afforded the NOS sheetmetal with the amount we had to replace. As it is, we have quite a bit of money in the car. Considering we had to replace rear quarter panels, decklid, rear quarter extensions, one door, front fenders, front valence, rear valence, and hood. Not to mention the underside of replacing the floor pans and rear frame rails. These were all repo's. Did we have to work harder to ensure the lines were straight? Yes!! Afterall, I think the main difference between NOS and repo's are that the lines will actually line up better.

Our rear quarters were so far gone (pitted and rusted) that even if we replaced the metal where the cancer was, it would have came back in other places. Thus, our decision to replace the entire rear quarter.

Our car is one of about 100 that was delivered to the midwest. All of these cars will have rust on them.

I am very proud we restored the car to the present condition with the repo's and kept the car on the road. I look forward to leaving it to one of my kids in the future.

Paul

68gt390

PFSlim said:
I am going to have to agree with Steve on this one. We could have let our GTCS go to the junk yard but instead decided to restore it. I am not sure I could have afforded the NOS sheetmetal with the amount we had to replace. As it is, we have quite a bit of money in the car. Considering we had to replace rear quarter panels, decklid, rear quarter extensions, one door, front fenders, front valence, rear valence, and hood. Not to mention the underside of replacing the floor pans and rear frame rails. These were all repo's. Did we have to work harder to ensure the lines were straight? Yes!! Afterall, I think the main difference between NOS and repo's are that the lines will actually line up better.

Our rear quarters were so far gone (pitted and rusted) that even if we replaced the metal where the cancer was, it would have came back in other places. Thus, our decision to replace the entire rear quarter.

Our car is one of about 100 that was delivered to the midwest. All of these cars will have rust on them.

I am very proud we restored the car to the present condition with the repo's and kept the car on the road. I look forward to leaving it to one of my kids in the future.

Paul

Very well said Paul. My car also having been in the state of Washington had extensive panel rust and floor pan rust. As I have stated in the past had the car been a small block I might have passed on it but, being a big block car my mind was already made up. I have had folks look my entire car over and they can't even tell where the panel replacements were made. The bottom line as we've stated here on the site before is - It's your car so you do what you want and build it the way you want it. I'm sure if I decided to sell my car today or next week, I'd have no problem selling it, replacement panels or not.

Don :cool:

lwlw

How many of us in Illinois now?

Me = Chicago
Casey - you're in Crystal Lake - right?
and now Naperville

Who Else?

Just Wondering?

PS - Anyone going to the Chi-Town Kruze tomorrow?

case12

lwlw said:
How many of us in Illinois now?

Me = Chicago
Casey - you're in Crystal Lake - right?
and now Naperville

Who Else?

Just Wondering?

PS - Anyone going to the Chi-Town Kruze tomorrow?

Yes, I am in Crystal Lake. Steve in Naperville has two GT/CS's. I know of another Gold one, Green one and White one- But they are not on this site. I am going to the Shelby show in Volo tmmrw. Unfortunately Carroll will not be there, as he is sick again. Casey