• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

The Future of Education

p51

For those of you with children or grandchildren or are teachers or maybe just someone who wants a refresher on some high school/college classwork I would strongly recommend looking at this (non-profit) website...

http://www.khanacademy.org/

The ideas proposed by this method of teaching/learning have the possibility of revolutionizing education. If you are familiar with the yearly TED (Technology Entertainment and Design) 2011 conference - the idea was presented there and it was endorsed by Bill Gates (at the end of video)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM95HHI4gLk&feature=player_embedded

CougarCJ

Thanks, I sent that link to my Home School teacher friend.

hookedtrout

Wow that really looks awesome! I will be spending some more time looking into this.

OP
OP
p51

p51

Wow that really looks awesome! I will be spending some more time looking into this.

It is awesome, especially considering that Khan left a hedgefund to do this - all pro-bono. And he is an excellent teacher.

I found this site about 2yrs ago when I was trying to understand Geithner's - our illustrious secretary of treasury - plan to bailout the banks by having the govt (meaning, we, the taxpayers) buy their toxic mortgage backed securities. The US financial press, as usual, were completely confused in trying to explain exactly what he was trying to do. In doing a search for info I found Khan's website. His explanation of the "plan" (and its major faults) was incredibly clear - so clear that Geithner himself would have learned something from it :wink:

Not only is the site great for kids - Sal Khan started the site originally to tutor his cousins in elementary math - but its a great place to go to get a refresh on higher-level concepts one may have learned in high school/university.