• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Future Values............BJ cometh

Canuck CSter

While waiting with frosted mug in the freezer and the cupboard stocked with fav snacks for this years BJ event...

I couldn't help but to ponder where are cars will be in values and in classic car market in general, in say 10-20 yrs out....

Any of CS'er nation ( 07 & 08 also ) have any thoughts. Feel free to use the crystal ball if you have one....

Wishing everyone and safe and happy New Years....

DR in Ottawa

somethingspecial

As much as us GT/CS owners want our cars to be worth loads of cash, I have seen a trend indicating the general public still views it as a "COUPE", and not the "Special Edition" is was intended to be. People are drawn more to the fastback and droptop cars before the coupes. With FB and Conv. going out of sight $$$ wise, the coupes are starting to line up on the launching pad. Six banger coupes are as high as 12K+. I recently watched a rusted swiss cheese BB fastback that had no floors left go for 7K+ on EBay.
Be Patient, our time will come, so in the mean time, buy up the cars now before they are out of sight and can't be touched. LOL Mike

wally05

I bought an all original 66 fastback 4 speed, rally pac, c-code 289 numbers matching for $16,000. It was Gold on the exterior and black interior. I sold it for $16,000 after putting some moeny into it. I should have got more, but I didn't have the space to let it sit. Some guy tried to say that it was only worth $11k, I laughed at him and was on my way. I had several people say I could have received $19k for it in it's current condition with frame rot. It's interesting to watch the market. Coupes are definitely on the rise in price since I first started looking at them on ebay about 5 years ago. You could buy a v8 coupe in great shape, matching numbers for $4k.... now it's upwards $8k for one... our time will come.

I had to have a police officer come check the vin of my car yesterday b/c I was going register it. He really liked it. He took a few extra seconds to just look it over b4 he called the VIN in. He didn't even know it was a mustang for a few minutes until he saw the script. He never saw anything quite like it. Once Paul's next book comes out and the MCA articles go out, we'll see more interest. :)

case12

Here is an interesting observation. I have noticed that if I keep my hood and trunk closed at shows, I get more lookers and questions. They can "see" the difference between the CS and a coupe. With the hood and trunk up, it is just another in the line-up and the engines are all the same. My son made this observation - he said people just passed by and looked at my 289 like all the others, but when I shut the hood, they stopped - the 'lines' of the car look different from the coupe.

Might be worth a try some time to see if it works for you. Casey

Mosesatm

I was looking at Craigs List last night. When I searched for "California Special" I came across an ad for a newer Ford truck. At the end of the ad the guy said he would Might consider partial trade for 1967 or 1968 Mustang Fastback or Convertible no coupes except California Special.

I saw that as a good sign.

Last edited:

Diesel Donna

Here is an interesting observation. I have noticed that if I keep my hood and trunk closed at shows, I get more lookers and questions. They can "see" the difference between the CS and a coupe. With the hood and trunk up, it is just another in the line-up and the engines are all the same. My son made this observation - he said people just passed by and looked at my 289 like all the others, but when I shut the hood, they stopped - the 'lines' of the car look different from the coupe.

Might be worth a try some time to see if it works for you. Casey

I have always shown my car with the hood and trunk closed. I just think it looks better that way. I know at some shows they deduct points for not having those open, but I really don't care! I'm not into this hobby because I want to win all the time. If anyone asks me to open the hood, then I do!

~~~~Donna

Midnight Special

I believe if the CSs at BJ command a higher than market price, we'll see a temporary $pike upward followed by small flooding of the market, then prices drop again as we saw before (Remember the Seafoam Green that lived on e-bay in '06?).

As for 10 to 20 years, I think the value will skyrocket based on the following:
* Simplicity and ease of "do it yourself" maintenance.
* No smog cert. required
* No life limits due to planned obsoleting of computers and other
revised (complicated) systems.
* Increased rarity and unique…
*40 years (and counting) of NOS and after-market parts
production.

etc...etc...

Most importantly; I think their value will be based on your own individual showmanship, enthusiasm, documentation and disclosure at that future time of sale.

Personally, I hope to pass that worry on to my kids ;-)

68gt390

Most importantly; I think their value will be based on your own individual showmanship, enthusiasm, documentation and disclosure at that future time of sale.

Personally, I hope to pass that worry on to my kids ;-)

Tim;
I totally agree with you. Heck in 20 years I just hope I'm still able to drive mine. If not I'm sure my son will enjoy it.

Don :cool:

rvrtrash

OK, just to poke a stick in the hornets nest, I think in 20 years, all gasoline powered vehicles will be museum pieces, or converted over to fuel cell/electric propulsion and our cars will have gone the way of the Model T, with people only seeing them rarely on Sundays, driven by old men in hats on their way to have coffee and donuts with other old men in hats. Let the flogging begin! :eek: :icon_pani

Steve

joedls

OK, just to poke a stick in the hornets nest, I think in 20 years, all gasoline powered vehicles will be museum pieces, or converted over to fuel cell/electric propulsion and our cars will have gone the way of the Model T, with people only seeing them rarely on Sundays, driven by old men in hats on their way to have coffee and donuts with other old men in hats. Let the flogging begin! :eek: :icon_pani

Steve

Hey Dad,

You can't help it. Idaho brings out the "doom and gloom in you". :wink:

Now I'll just go to my room. No need to send me.

Joe

rvrtrash

Hey Dad,

You can't help it. Idaho brings out the "doom and gloom in you". :wink:

Now I'll just go to my room. No need to send me.

Joe

Actually I had a great day skiing yesterday.:thumb: Having a 3' high pile of snow in front of the gate to the shop (where all the "toys" are stored) is kind of a bummer, but other than that, life's good. Your punishment for being so insolent is to shovel my driveway.:wink: Oh, and the Christmas lights are frozen to the roof. You have to take them down without destroying anything. When you're done, I'll give you some hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps. :cheesy:

Dad

joedls

Actually I had a great day skiing yesterday.:thumb: Having a 3' high pile of snow in front of the gate to the shop (where all the "toys" are stored) is kind of a bummer, but other than that, life's good. Your punishment for being so insolent is to shovel my driveway.:wink: Oh, and the Christmas lights are frozen to the roof. You have to take them down without destroying anything. When you're done, I'll give you some hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps. :cheesy:

Dad

Sorry Pop,

I don't have time. I'm going for a drive in my GT/CS on this beautiful sunny Southern California day.

The Insolent One,
Joe

P.S. You probably don't want me drinking any of that schnapps. The last time I had an alcoholic beverage, it wasn't pretty.

P

PNewitt

In 20 years, the '68 GT/CS will be "THE" prized collectible in the garage for those who have had their 2007-2008 GT/CS for that long. There may be about 500 of the '68's left by 2028...

About hoods at car shows -- you might like to crack open the hood, about 4-5 inches to let folks see the engine, valve covers, etc... OR have some photos of the engine set up on the dash for guests to see.

Paul N.

Don, your avatars never cease to amaze me! LOL!!
Let's hope for animated avatars!? uh-oh!!

rvrtrash

P.S. You probably don't want me drinking any of that schnapps. The last time I had an alcoholic beverage, it wasn't pretty.

Probably like a Tequila story I could tell. :icon_dead

Steve

di81977

Steve

This is something I have thought about also, probably less than 20 years. (should we start a thread about "corn fed" E85 conversions??) Just bought a new car and spent way to much time thinking about gas milage.

Not sure what the issue is with Mustang Coupes. I am a big Camaro lover (my very first car was a 68 and also have owned a 69 Z28). Now that I have had my HCS for a few years, I think I actually like the lines of this car more than the Camaro.

david

robert campbell

E85 is hotter fuel than the stuff we burn now!!! All the carb companies are offering E85 carb conversions....

Long live corn and old geezers!!! Good for our cars, good for our intestines....

Rob

Duker

I agree with all of you...Time will tell. But in the meantime I am trying to expose my 68 GT/CS to some local Movie and TV people up here.

Here is an idea:

I had a friend years ago that dealt with antique cars, the cars were used in TV and in Movies shoots around Toronto, On Canada. It was great to go down with him one time on the set, park the car and then get to meet the stars on the set. One time my friend Bob got to play as an extra playing a guy from the 40's shooting Craps in an alley, Bob looked the part. He had about 7 cars being used, heck half of them were towed to the location but it was worth the money. I hope to get my car used to get it exposed to the public.

There is a new movie out right now called "The Kite Runner" it shows a late 60's Mustang Coupe. We all know what happens when a make of vehicle is shown in a movie or popular show on TV, people start opening their eyes to that make of car.

We should hope this happens for us with this movie. Yes, we have something a little more "Special" in our garages, but I think we can get out there and help promote our 68 GT/CS's. It is just like going to a show or a cruise night. Heck, you might even get paid for your time.

Duker

Mosesatm

Good plan, Duker.

I think you are correct that more and more movies will showcase muscle cars. The Bucket List has what looks like a red '66 Shelby. After seeing the trailer I hope it's a clone.

Hope to see yours soon!