• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Ouch! Again!

robert campbell

Ok, the GNS is parked! First the dent… Scoop is fixed, and hope to get dent gone late next week… Bad stuff comes in three’s right?

I have been fighting a steering problem. Ever since I installed new upper and lower control arms and roller spring perches the car has had a bad pull to the right just as you go over center of the steering. Tracks perfectly and steers to the left perfectly. But start a slow steer to the right and….. not … much… and move it just a slight more and ZAP you are in the right lane. Almost like a mind of its own.

During the front-end refurbish I also rebuilt the control valve and ram. No leaks, was very careful. Car has been down to my trusted front end place.

Sooooo much talking with Mustangs Plus and we decided that it must be the control valve. So a new one arrived yesterday. It is on, but my car is a very early 1968 so it had the ¼ inch fitting for the pressure hose. So Rob’s hose no workee. Get you mind out of the gutter please. So off to Napa and a new hose with a 5/16 inch fitting to match new control valve. New hose is much “stiffer” (stop it) and Rob had Val assist with numerous turns lock to lock to ensure hoses did not hit headers nor bind. At least I thought I did.

Took it for a test drive and I think old control vale was better. Still kind “jerked” to the right, but the steering was noticeably heavier. But still ok… I had recentered the steering with the steeering box, so took her for a ride to recenter the steering wheel.

Got a mile away and turned made a nice lopping left hand turn to come back……

BLAMO!! Fire leaps out the back of my cowl induction hood!!!! Rob soils his pants!!! Turns car off and leaps out. Fire had stopped (I think) but she be smoking!! Rob is in his area and starts scanning the closest house for a water hose. Fire Extinguisher is back at the house of course. Shakes turd out of shorts!! Back to car….. less smoke….. fire I hope is out….. Finally work up guts to lift hood and let more air in….. fire is out. Turning engine off removed the misting fuel source.

Pressure hose broke and spewed over hot headers. Brief 5 to 10 second flame, then it quit.

Rob is counting lucky stars and thanking the lord!!

Finally got hose from trusting citizen. Washed down engine. All looks ok. Take knife to power steering belt…. Not easy to take off due to blower belt….

But that is only two bad instances…..

Start home with no power steering. School bus pulls out in front of me. Rob is in a little hurry and a bit distracted with his soiled shorts and all. Looks up and bus be stopping!! Hit the brakes which do little as the plastic valve in the vacuum assist booster gives up the ghost and the hose breaks off….. Rob has big legs, so in the mood of a 400 pound dead lift he pushes the brake pedal like the mighty Thor!! Car stops. Hit nothing.

Shorts are soiled again!! Fetch me my brown pants so it is not so obvious! Finally get home! Park car. A little soot on the hood, but it will clean.

Boy do these beers taste good. Hope that was number three for this series of fun…

Now to take a shower… Left a nice pond of ATF on street… Maybe BP can come up and clean it up! Power steering may go bye bye!!! Just uses up horse power anyway!

Rob

teamlo

Rob, I feel your pain. Similar story I have. Last summer after installation of a new engine, new exhaust system and various other bits, we take the car out for a shakedown. Running great. No worries. Get about a mile from the house and "get on it".......you know, just to see. KABOOM!! Power steering hose meets exhaust manifold. Nasty fire. Luckily, Hagerty is willing to play. Underdash and underhood wiring all new now. Going to pick it up in Maryland next week and bring it home. Or so is the plan for now.

Best of luck!

Terry

somethingspecial

Have a few skid marks myself.

Rob, It sounds like it is time to rethink and inspect everything. First find out why the steering is binding. Is the steering box moving smoothly or is it binding in the new suspension? Why did the new hose blow? Brake booster is a different problem in itself. Hope all works out well. Enjoy those beers and just take a step back and regroup. Mike

CougarCJ

Rob must have a bad moon rising on the cusp of Taurus. LOL

Glad that you and the car are fine, too bad about the laundry.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Rob, It sounds like it is time to rethink and inspect everything. First find out why the steering is binding. Is the steering box moving smoothly or is it binding in the new suspension? Why did the new hose blow? Brake booster is a different problem in itself. Hope all works out well. Enjoy those beers and just take a step back and regroup. Mike

Me and some beers are regrouping.......

Tomorrow is another day! First I will check my "horror-scope".

Rob

Midnight Special

Well Rob, count yourself "lucky"... There have been worse cases of Mustangs with no power, steering or brakes... 'Glad you at least made a safe landing!

Attachments

• p-51_crash_2.jpg
    p-51_crash_2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

My brother came over and we are putting electronic ignition on the Suzuki....... He will perform the test rides. I will sit and watch. Have not reopened the hood tonight. Got some cleaning to do... Not tonight!

Rob

PonyGal

Rob,

I am sorry to read about your "adventure", but at the same time I must admit that I am laughing so hard "I may need to do laundry"! I almost wet myself :-\ You are so great at telling your stories!!

Thank God nobody was hurt! And just think, now you have a project to keep you busy and out of trouble :wink:

CougarCJ

Rob, I sure hope that you run out of bad luck before you run out of Mustangs.:grin:

rvrtrash

I have to say Rob, the incident wasn't humorous, but the story was. When I read about your brother coming over to test ride the motorcycle, the first thing that popped into my head was "Here, hold my beer and watch this". Sorry, but that's just the kind of twisted soul I am. :icon_evil

Steve

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Steve,
You are my twin separated at birth!! I don't want to operate anything that runs on gas!!

Rob

Midnight Special

Rob,
I am sorry to read about your "adventure", but at the same time I must admit that I am laughing so hard "I may need to do laundry"! I almost wet myself :-\ You are so great at telling your stories!!
:wink:

Boy, you're not kidding Renee! I'm not much of a drinker, but I sure wanted to down a few after reading this thread! Talk about stories that make you laugh while you cry. Brother Rob ought to audition with those redneck comedians... Put a little southern "twang" to his story, read it again & you'll know what I mean ;-)

68 special

Oh My God, Rob. I'm still wiping away the tears. Glad your ok and the car will be too. Just toss the shorts, Bad Memories. I'm getting a clearer vision of how the BBQ is going to go. Can't wait for more Rob stories.

Bret

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Got up the desire and fortitude to wash out the engine compartment. Soot cleaned up off underside of hood easily. Most of the fluid "burned" up. Wiped down the topside. Bottom is drip drying. Time to dive under and get back to "binness".

Do you feel like someone is boring you to death on "twitter"? What next Rob, "tweets" while you are in the library.....

Rob