• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 new aftermarket radios

Dougxox

Has anyone installed or has any experence with any of the new "vintage" looking aftermarket radios in their cars? Was looking at some of the USA ones for the Mustangs and just looking for some input.

66hcs-conv

Hi Gang,

I recently purchased and installed a Custom Auto Sound USA66 in our 1966 Mustang.

The radio picks up a LOT of stations, but is somewhat hard to tune to a certain station. Back in my USAF electronics days, it was refered to as good sensitivity, but not so good selectivity.

I also use it with my XM radio, and that sounds excellent.

My mistake in installation was not refering to a Mustang wiring diagram. I found what I thought was a good ground with my ohmmeter, when in fact I was reading thru the instrument lamps to ground! That will blow the fuse for the instrument lights real quick! Don't use the blue/red wire for ground, its the instrument panel lights!

I did buy a new front speaker, one with 2 small speakers in the same space as the old 1 speaker. You really can't tell left from right using the front speaker alone, since they are so close together. But with a convertible I don't need a good radio, just one that's loud!

Have fun! Dave

PFSlim

No way. Can't beat the great sound from an original AM Philco radio with the massive 6 inch speaker in the center of the dash!!:)

Just kidding of course. Never turn it on. Love the sound of the 289 Hipo running.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang477.JPG
    Stang477.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 24

PFSlim

Hi Gang,

I recently purchased and installed a Custom Auto Sound USA66 in our 1966 Mustang.

The radio picks up a LOT of stations, but is somewhat hard to tune to a certain station. Back in my USAF electronics days, it was refered to as good sensitivity, but not so good selectivity.

I also use it with my XM radio, and that sounds excellent.

My mistake in installation was not refering to a Mustang wiring diagram. I found what I thought was a good ground with my ohmmeter, when in fact I was reading thru the instrument lamps to ground! That will blow the fuse for the instrument lights real quick! Don't use the blue/red wire for ground, its the instrument panel lights!

I did buy a new front speaker, one with 2 small speakers in the same space as the old 1 speaker. You really can't tell left from right using the front speaker alone, since they are so close together. But with a convertible I don't need a good radio, just one that's loud!

Have fun! Dave

Dave

We missed coming out ot Estes this year for Christmas. Typically, we stay at the YMCA at a cabin and have done that for several years. Decided to stay in KC this year and have really missed it as we really love to spend Christmas there. Instead, I have a link to the Estes Park cams and check it every day to see how much snow is there. You live in a great place!!

Paul