• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Which aftermarket AC & Top end kit

Batgirl89

I know this is a winter project, I really need AC. I cant drive my C code GT/CS if its over 80 outside, Im not comfortable lol
Which AC kit is best and easiest for me to install?
Best place to purchase?

Topend Kit?
where to purchase kit or the parts?

I am reluctant to mess w/the motor she runs so well and always starts (but have smoke out of 1 tail pipe) now nicknamed "smokey" :sad:

franklinair

www.classicautoair.com
They make an after market system for'67 & '68 that has very good reviews. I've used their products and was very pleased with their products and tech support. I think you'll be pleased with them. So easy, even a girl can do it.:grin: (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Here's a photo of their rotary compressor installation, using R 134 Freon.

As for 'Smokey'- how many miles on the engine? Have you done a compression test?
It may be leaky valve guide seals, which would indicate pulling the heads and having a valve job done (by a trusted engine shop).
It could be worn piston rings, which would mean (to me) an engine overhaul.

Neil

Attachments

• DSC00757.jpg
    DSC00757.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 48

dalorzo_f

It would depend on what your goals are. Modern or "correct" OEM kits are available, and do work well. But theya re far more difficult to install than most of the after market systems. Big an bulky and barely fit under the dash.

Have seen good reviews for the kits from the company Neil notes above. Vintage Air and Old Air also get good reviews.

http://www.vintageair.com/

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/

If your motor smokes (dark or white?, assuming dark from the comment and name) its most likely oil. If the engine is blowing that out the rear a partial rebuild may not be the best plan. It could be a valve guide, or something more.

Would suggest tearing it down and seeing what you have before making a decision on top end only. As an upgrade there on a suspect bottom end may result in redoing the bottom not too far down the track. Once you get the head and oil pan off you can do some easy assessment without disassembling the bottom end. Bore condition and size, crank/rod play, sludge buildup, etc.

CougarCJ

If you proceed with the A/C conversion, I would suggest also upgrading to the 24 inch radiator (3 core) and 7 blade fan with clutch.

franklinair

Definitely a 24" 3 row radiator + brackets, with a fan shroud, optimum fan, and fan clutch. You're probably looking at $400+/- for these necessary upgrades for adding A/C.
Adding A/C puts additional load on your engine. The engine condition should be addressed prior to adding A/C.

Neil

Last edited:

Tequila

Did the factory AC cars come with a 24" 3 row radiators? Also, how many blade fan?

franklinair

Factory A/C cars came with the 24" radiator & fan shroud. And IIRC, a 5 bladed flex fan.

Neil

OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

Oh thats perfect Neil! "easy enough for a girl to do", Thats what I want to hear! (my kind of project) Your engine is beautiful.

Ok, Ill check out the systems, so I can figured out if I want correct or modern. And thank you for telling me to upgrade the radiator, fan, shroud, ect. I dont want the motor to overheat.

Havent done a compression test. Car has 125k, PO said engine was "rebuilt" 50k ago when I bought it. (so hard telling) dalorzo thanks for the heads up!

h20cycle

I suspect you have already done this install but if not and still curious, I bought my GT/CS mid June (So Cal) and installed "classic auto air" by July 1. It was suprisingly easy and blows colder than my 2010 daily driver. Slight overheating at slow traffic speeds. Radiator upgrade pending, now that it is cooler out.

OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

I suspect you have already done this install but if not and still curious, I bought my GT/CS mid June (So Cal) and installed "classic auto air" by July 1. It was suprisingly easy and blows colder than my 2010 daily driver. Slight overheating at slow traffic speeds. Radiator upgrade pending, now that it is cooler out.

I haven't done it yet! Figured we would do the top end and A/C at the same time. But your post is getting me motivated again!