• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Gap between console and gear selector indicator plate

murf104

Noticed on so many images of consoles that many (most?) have a gap between the indicator plate and the console itself. The gear selector indicator sits on little "feet" and doesn't seem to have a direct connection with the console itself, so what is the fix for this malady. Ours fits poorly and would like to rectify the gap but see no way to make it better. Unable to post an image of this problem but if you have a console in a 68 you probably can see what is happening. Maybe someone with this situation can post an image so others will grasp the opening. Would love to hear your fixes for this! Those things must have fit when the cars were new.

6t8-390gt

The shift plate was originally screwed to the console in addition to being positioned into the locating holes. It's a PIA and seems like the brackets were discarded the first time the console came out. Send me a PM with your e-mail or phone # and I'll forward you a picture of the brackets.

Danny

68sunlitgold

Murf,
I think your problem is not the connection of the indicator to the console but the top pad and metal plate to the console. The indicator is directly connected to the console with screws and square washers. However the top pad is only connected to the console at the back near he ash tray and front near the console sliding door along with 2 clips just behind the indicator (these clips are often gone if the top pad has been removed). The pad and metal plate tend to not 'connect' with the console very well if the clips are missing. Try to push down on the pad to see if the gap lessons, if it does that is the issue. Other than replacing the clips there is really nothing I think you can do.

Doug

Attachments

• console 4.jpg
    console 4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 37
  • da_12_sb.jpeg
    da_12_sb.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 7b_1_s.jpg
    7b_1_s.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

murf104

Will take a close look at this soon. Thanks for the suggestions - that gap has irritated me for several years and the console is out of the car right now so will take this opportunity to get it right. Will let you know what is happening.

68sunlitgold

I was trying to find a picture of the clips on a mustang console pad but I had not luck and all I could find was ones on a cougar

Doug

Attachments

• console clips.jpg
    console clips.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
M

murf104

You guys are exactly correct - the little clips are missing! Look as if they are the same as the door panel clips? Also see that the light diffuser ( little flat plastic arch shaped with a white lens that goes over the hole for the light indicating which gear one has selected) is missing on mine. Remains were found but not enough to repair. Is it important? Thanks for the help with this problem - would never have connected the dots on those little missing clips. There are also clips on the section covering the radio 2 of them. So is four the correct number of clips or are there others I am missing? In other words how many clips are found in the entire console? Thank you!

franklinair

6 clips: 4 on the radio bezel, 2 on the console for the pad. IIRC, NPD used to carry the indicator light assembly.

Neil

OP
OP
M

murf104

I found a place for two clips on the radio console part - don't see locations for the other two? I assume the clips are the same as door panel clips?

68sunlitgold

Murf,
pic of location of the 4 clips on the radio pad and coordinating places in the bezel

Doug

Attachments

• console clip location.jpg
    console clip location.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 14
  • console bezel clip area.jpg
    console bezel clip area.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

68sunlitgold

One of the bezel locations

Doug

Attachments

• console bezel clip area.jpg
    console bezel clip area.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
M

murf104

Thanks, Doug. Put the console back in yesterday and it is rock solid. I very much appreciate the help!