• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Rear seatbak Gap-osis

dalorzo_f

No way the padding or tightness is the issue. Vinyl will not shrink steel! The steel frame is not padded that much on the sides... as noted swapping from the 67 to 68 inner panel fixed mine without changing anything on the back... it was about 1" on each side...

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I'm going to try switching the rear quarter trim panels. I have a pair of '68 Deluxe panels somewhere in my archives. They're black, but I can dye or recover them, and I'll see how that goes. NPD sells rear seat cushions ($100+/-).

Neil

Ruppstang

No way the padding or tightness is the issue. Vinyl will not shrink steel! The steel frame is not padded that much on the sides... as noted swapping from the 67 to 68 inner panel fixed mine without changing anything on the back... it was about 1" on each side...

You are right, today after getting out a 67 and a 68 seat backs I can see no way that is the problem. Unless it was droped and bent the steel. Both seat backs measured 42 1/4 so no difference there. The only difference in the quarter covers is at the top back the 67 gos under the package tray and the 68 gos over it. There is a screw near the top that the seat covers. Measure between the two quarters there and see if it is the same dimention at the bottem. It could be that the quarters covers have gotten bent. Marty

Mosesatm

The quarters are semi-adjustable in that you can place a shim (I used a window roller) between the panel and the inner fender at the screw hole. It won't pick up an inch but it may help a little.