• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Rear seatbak Gap-osis

franklinair

Put the rear seatback in place today:mad:
There's a good 1" to 2" gap on each side. I'd had the seats re-upholstered some time ago, but just now got to the point of putting things back together. The rear quarter panels fit fine, but the seatback has an obvious gap on each side. Re-upholster & side padding?
The dash is going back together: applied 15"hg to the system, and all valves/doors work properly. (Marty- painted A/C Control Panel as you advised. Looks good.) I now have the A/C upgrade kit from ClassicAir, that will be next (plus the P/B Booster).

Neil

Last edited:

rvrtrash

They didn't give you a back frame for a convertible did they? I don't know how much narrower they are, but have heard they are narrower. Is there enough material in the back where they hog ringed it to just loosen the sides and slip some foam in?

Steve

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I'm going to pull the seatback out, and get a closer look at it. I thought about the 'narrowness' of the seatback and had the same thought about a convertible seat, but when you order upholstery they do not differentiate between coupe or convertible.

Neil

di81977

I can pull and measure my convertible rear seat later tonight, if that helps.

Glad to see you keeping busy Neil.

David

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

That would be great. I'd appreciate the info. You don't really need to PULL the seatback- just measure the width.

Neil

di81977

Convertible rear seat is 43" measuring side to side from the back and 46" measuring from the front. I also noticed that a convertible rear seat has a much more pronounced hump in the middle compared to a coupe seat.

Hope this helps.
David

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I'll measure my coupe's seatback, and compare measurements.
Options:
1.) Cover exposed gap area (trunk divider board) with Nugget Gold vinyl.
2.) Add padding to the sides & re-cover.
3.) Purchase new seatpads & re-cover.

Current status is not acceptable.

Neil

CougarCJ

Convertible rear seat is 43" measuring side to side from the back and 46" measuring from the front. I also noticed that a convertible rear seat has a much more pronounced hump in the middle compared to a coupe seat.

Hope this helps.
David

They would be much thinner in thickness, too, at least on 1969-73 convertible seat backs. 1967-68 are they fairly thin too?

dalorzo_f

but when you order upholstery they do not differentiate between coupe or convertible.

Find a better vendor! They are VERY different!

I had a similar problem on my 68 S GT coupe. I found I had 67 rear 1/4 panels, when I went back to the originals (saved as in Oz you have to cut panels to mount seat belts and I wanted to keep the originals untouched) they fit fine.

As the fit with the 67's was so bad I also did not screw the panels to the body steel at the sides, which lets them "flex" inwards a bit more...

So are you sure they are the correct panels and seat, as the upholstery will not shrink steel by 1"!

dalorzo_f

Here's a pic of 68 convertible and coupe seatbacks side-by-side. Seat bottoms are equally diferent in dimensions...

007.jpg

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Very interesting, which raises more questions:
Are '67 & '68 quarter trim panels different? (P/N?, Dimensions?)
What is the width comparison, Coupe versus Convertible seatbacks & seatbottoms?

I will try to contact TMI (most popular manufacturer) and ask of any difference in coupe/convertible upholstery. The retail vendors' catalogs (NPD, MU) do not differentiate between the two.
As for my specific problem, I don't know if the PO mixed/matched seat parts when they re-did the interior. It wouldn't surprise me if they did. I'm finding a myriad of mistakes pertaining to 1968 models in general. Luckily, they are all relatively minor, but still require attention to make the car 'correct'.
Admittedly, I am taking some liberties in changing a few things from the original status of the car: I'm upgrading the interior to Deluxe, adding a Power Brake booster, and converting the A/C to the Sanden compressor & 134 freon, and I added the Mini-tach in place of the clock.

Neil

dalorzo_f

Are '67 & '68 quarter trim panels different?

Yes. 67 is part C6ZB-6531012/3. 68 is C8ZB-6531012/3. At least per the FAM drawing.

The main difference, as far as I can tell, is the 67 has a lip on the part that sits by the package tray that slips under the package tray that has an oval hole for a screw. On 68 this is not there, but a small "L" tab is on the inner side of the upper edge of the panel, this screws to the seatback near the clips that hold the tray down. Screws go horizontal into the seat back support on '68, where as on '67 they go vertically down. There may be other differences, but based on my pair that's what I recall when fixing my similar issue.

dalorzo_f

On NPD, their on line catalog clearly allows selection of coupe, convertible or fasback complete kits. If you look at how you order it is US-Y-SS-C.

The old e-paper pops up a note to call NPD for help, and as I don't have hard copy I'd guess if you call or mail in the order they gat back to you with clarification.

Where

US = Upholstery set
Y = year ,5,6,7,8
SS = body style, 63, 65, 76 (for 68)
C = color (alpha code)

dalorzo_f

Just a note, the FAM also calls out a different seat bottom as well from 67 to 68. I posted on VMF trying to see if anyone knew the year-to-year differences, and pretty much got laughed at. Most there don't seem too interested in correct anymore, as many of the "experienced" folks moved on to Concours forum, Stangfix and others after Bob sold it...

Been trying to document all convertible specific changes, and the seat back/bottom was one I could not get details on. I'd think one would need one of each side-by-side to do a detailed comparison as I'd bet its a subtle difference.

dalorzo_f

Yep. Smaller overall too... height and width. The convertible seat base is also not as wide or deep as the coupe. No way a coupe kit will fit on a convetible or the other way around...

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

The seatback in my coupe is like the coupe version in the photo. Just too narrow in overall width.

Neil

Ruppstang

Most likely the pading was lost or damaged. Possibly pulled the sides too tight. At any rate it need to come apart and be repaired. Marty