• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Dumb steering question with picture.

bassman2

Does this look like an original steering set up to you??? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 71

rvrtrash

It's hard to tell from the pictures (or maybe it's because I just woke up) but it looks like original power steering.

Steve

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Thats what has me a bit puzzled... I've got a marti report on the car and it says nothing about power steering.

I emailed the last owner to see if he had any knowledge about it!

somethingspecial

I agree with Marty, it looks like a big block set up with the hoses routed underneath the motor mount. The power ram bracket to the frame looks like an extended mount (not stock) used with headers. Did your car have a big block with headers? Mike

OP
OP
B

bassman2

The car is a C code - 289 - I just pulled the engine and it's a built 289 with headman headers, Edelbrock manifold, etc...

I just heard from the previous owner and he said it doesn't look right, but didn't know what it was or who replaced it.

I guess the real question is - Should I replace it? And if so what should I replace it with?

I'm not going concourse - I'm going to do front disc brakes for sure and maybe rears too!

Brakes are a question for another thread.

somethingspecial

The car is a C code - 289 - I just pulled the engine and it's a built 289 with headman headers, Edelbrock manifold, etc...

I just heard from the previous owner and he said it doesn't look right, but didn't know what it was or who replaced it.

I guess the real question is - Should I replace it? And if so what should I replace it with?

I'm not going concourse - I'm going to do front disc brakes for sure and maybe rears too!

Brakes are a question for another thread.

If you are NOT going Concours and building a driver, leave it alone. The extended mount will not hurt anything and if you are going to still run headers you will need it. The big block routing will not matter either. If you start changing things it will cut into your rebuild budget. Again, I would leave it as is. JMHO. Mike

franklinair

The current issue of MM has an article about PS upgrade with a 16:1 steering box. Looks good, but no mention of cost.

Neil

rvrtrash

Mine is a 302 and I installed the lower ram mount and rerouted the hoses when I put headers on it.

Steve