• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

dont want to sound dumb but

john

I have a 68 mustang 200 inline six all the numbers match and the car is in great shape looks runs and drives like new (it almost is). Im learning more and more all the time about the many differant styles,what makes the
GT/CS and HCS stand out ? I have posted a few pics of my car in the gallery
thanks John

marie68csmustangs

The reason why the GT/CS and the HCS stand out is they are rare. Also, they have some Shelby parts to them. which make them kind of stand out even more.

Marie

Mustanglvr

The HCS`s (High Country Special`s) were produced for 3 years in a row. 66, 67 and 68. There were only 251 68 models made and they looked exactly like the GT/CS`s except for the HCS badging and the DSO number has to be 51 for Denver. When you see that only 4118 GT/CS`s were made that includes the 251 HCS`S. The number of GT/CS`s is actually 3867 and they were only made for one year. The GT/CS`s and the HCS`S were produced with all the same engines that were available to regular Mustangs. The 200 inline 6 cylinder with a 1V carb, the 289 2V, 302 2V, 302 4V, 390 2V and 4V, and the 428 4V Cobra Jet. 68 Shelby ( which are also 1965 T-Bird) tail lights were added along with side scoops, Marchal or Lucas fog lights, blacked out grill, hood locks, hood blinker lights, GT/CS striping,the California Special script and the fiberglass trunk lid and quarter extensions. The HCS does`nt have the script, obviously. Interestingly enough, nowhere on these cars is the name Ford except for the name FoMoCo on many of the individual parts. I saw a story on tv when I was a kid about the California Special and I always knew that it was one of the most rare and sought after limited edition Mustangs. I always kept looking for them but had never seen one until the day a friend of mine said he had one fresh off a truck from Texas. I just happened to have $8000.00 cash in my pocket and I raced off and bought it on the spot. I`ve never had that much money before in my life. It was quite the coincidence that I would have the money and the opportunity at the same time in my life. That will never happen again I`m sure. I honestly knew pretty much nothing about these cars until I found this site. Buying my car and finding this site has been great for me body and soul. Driving my car with a manual trans and manual steering is always a workout for me since I am only 5 foot 1 inches tall. I have nerve damage in my left leg from a bad back and driving the car with the clutch is theraputic for me. Steering it actually helps me keep the strength in my arms. Anyway, the GT/CS and HCS stand out because they are so rare and desirable. The prices of these don`t reflect that yet, but it will I feel. Someday these cars will be worth as much as the Shelby`s. Some people tend to think that the ones with the big blocks are the ones that will be dictating those high prices, but I tend to disagree. I think eventually they will all be just as desirable and worth the investment.

Last edited:

p51

john said:
...what makes the GT/CS and HCS stand out ? ...
thanks John
Couple of things...

(1) They are best looking, best styled car, ever (opinion)
(2) They are more rare than Shelby Mustangs. Fewer '68 GT/CSs (+HCSs) were made than '68 Shelbys (fact)

OP
OP
J

john

thanks for the info all of you are very helpfull,
and thanks alot Rhonda for the info on the site ,you guys are great
John