• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

coberly ford engine paint

bindiman99

hey there just wanted to share some photos and see if anyone else has come across anything like it

thanx john

OP
OP
B

bindiman99

ok here it is

Attachments

• coberly_ford.jpg
    coberly_ford.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 25

quicknick

I have seen these before from other New car dealerships of the era.
It was supposedly a sales ploy to drum up business in the service department.
When you are broke down on the side of the road and opened your hood...... right there in front of you is the name and number of the dealership for you or the tow truck driver to see, and hopefully have it sent to.( a mind suggestion trick)
You don't see this much now since too many customers complained about it's unsightlyness and the developement of Nationwide Roadside Assistance. Nicholas

Calspecialdreamer

Happy Bday Bindi

QuickNick,

I have also heard that, but I have never seen it until now. Thanks for the info...

OP
OP
B

bindiman99

I was wondering if this is something that I should duplicate during my restoration or just leave it out. Thanx for the bday greeting. Merry Xmas to all.

John

Calspecialdreamer

Totally up to you. I would leave it off. Probably get a lot of questions about it at car shows or anytime you have the hood up!

darb

I would leave it! Just think, back in 1968 an original ford dealer painted that on there...it's a piece of that cars history. If you're a crazy stock buff like me, it's unique.

I think at car shows it would make a great conversation starter. "What's Coberly Ford?" - - People really get a kick out of seeing more than just an original car, but they also love learning about some things that dealers and owners used to do back in the day.

Brad

hookedtrout

I think I'd add it back into the restoration as well. I'd make sure and take plenty of pictures (looks like you have) and take the pictures with you to car shows if you show the car so you can help explain when the judges question it if they do.

Cory

OP
OP
B

bindiman99

I have tried to recreate the letters but no success. Its not turning out the same way so Im stuck. It looks like it was a stencil then spray painted or something like that. Please give me your thoughts so I can try different methods whatever they may be. After thinking about it I definatly want to recreate it. Thanx JOHN