• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Engine painting - Items to be Ford Corporate Blue

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'm getting ready to paint my 289-2v after getting it back from the machine shop. I just want to confirm that everything currently installed in these photos is supposed to be painted Ford Corporate Blue.

I know the valve cover bolts should be cadmium plated, so I'll remove those before painting.

And I have the thermostat housing and air cleaner set aside to also be painted blue.

Anything I'm missing or shouldn't be painted blue in these photos? I'm not doing a concours restoration by any means, but as long as I'm painting it, I might as well get it as accurate as I can.

Thanks... and Happy New Year everyone!!!

2023-12-31 15.15.30.jpg
2023-12-31 15.16.29.jpg

2023-12-31 15.17.28.jpg
2023-12-31 15.16.59.jpg

Mosesatm

I thought the engine was painted with the valve covers installed. Aren’t they blue?

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I thought the engine was painted with the valve covers installed. Aren’t they blue?
The valve cover bolts? I could be wrong, but I thought I saw a post by @J_Speegle about those bolts not being installed when painting, so not blue. I'll check my notes and see if I can find the source.

I don't see anything in the MCA rules about them one way or the other, but I think I have an abbreviated PDF of the rules.

The only personal photos I've taken of cars I truly trust to be concours correct (Bob Teets & Mike Jewell) are big block cars with chrome valve covers, so obviously those bolts aren't blue. :)

This site lists the valve cover bolts as cadmium plated, but it's also specific to Shelbys. https://www.nvsaac.com/Details/shelby_detail_main.htm

1704082004796.png

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Here's a photo of one of Marty's cars.

Attachments

• Engine.JPG
    Engine.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 33

Ruppstang

It looks like you still need to have the T-stat housing and bypass hose and clamps on before painting Also carb spacer.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Marty. I knew about the t-stat housing and will paint it separately. I left it off the engine so I can spray more easily behind it.

But are you saying the short bypass hose and clamps also get painted blue?

And thanks for confirming the carb spacer is blue. I couldn't find anything saying one way or the other.

Ruppstang

The T stat housing and Bypass hose with claps are assembled on the engine and then painted. The exhaust manifolds were also installed prepainting but I would paint the engine then put a light spray of blue across the top of them then install them. Do not use exhaust gaskets, Ford did not use them.

Barn Find engine 2.jpeg

Russ

Herre is another engine in my lime gold GT/CS. I hope this helps, Russ Furstnow

Attachments

• 519.JPG
    519.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 22
  • 521.JPG
    521.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 531.JPG
    531.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 25

Ruppstang

Hi Russ, it has been a while.
Do you have a 68 non-GT J code? I am looking for the drive shaft stripe colors on one.

Marty

Russ

Hi Marty, Yes, I haven't been too involved with the MCA for a while. My GT/CS is a non-GT J code car. The strips are white, pink, and green (white being toward the front of the car) with a crayon X behind the green stripe. The stripes are generally in the middle of the driveshaft. I hope these photos help. Let me know if you need anything else. You have judged this car, and it has won numerous Concourse Gold Trailered awards. I hope to see you in the future. Russ

Attachments

• 634.JPG
    634.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 635.JPG
    635.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 636.JPG
    636.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited: