• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Any opinions on the value of my GT/CS

Mosesatm

The top brackets are missing but they can be purchased from the Mustang parts houses.

BroadwayBlue

Diesel Donna said:
Rich...what are the requirements for NY state historical plates? I have them on my old ambulance......my brother got them for me before I got to NY to drive the car west, so I didn't even know there were stipulations! Are they the same as you stated above?
Thanks~~~~Donna

I know we're getting way off topic here so I'll try to keep it short. (I know that's tough for me :cool: )

Here is a link to the full FAQs but here are the highlights below
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/cpl8faqs.htm#Historical

NY has Historic and Vintage plates that you can put on Antique or Vintage Cars.
Historic are standard type plates that display either a five-digit number followed by the letters HX (for example, 99999HX), or the letters HX followed by a five-digit number (for example, HX22222). They also have the word HISTORICAL on them.
Vintage plates are defined as the authentic vehicle plates that were issued in NYS during the model year of the vehicle. You can put vintage plates on a historical vehicle instead of historical plates. For example, you can use a set of authentic vehicle plates that the DMV issued in 1963 on a vehicle of model year 1963...

Is a historical registration different from a standard registration?

Yes. You cannot use a historical vehicle for daily transportation. An automobile collector normally registers a historical vehicle or a vintage vehicle to use it for exhibits, club activities, tours, and parades.

Here is what is on the form you sign (this if for Vintage but Historical is basically the same minus the year info)

I certify that the vehicle I want to register with vintage plates is owned and operated as an exhibition piece or collector's item and is used for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses, but is not used for general daily transportation ... I also certify that the plates in the accompanying photograph are original NY State license plates that have not been repainted, and are not a manufactured facsimile. The plates are readable, and the year of the plates corresponds to the model year of the vehicle.

I have heard that people often paint them after they send in the pics. Unless you got pulled over and they could tell you painted them I don't know they would know. Anyway - hopefully that answered it for you.
Rich

hookedtrout

390cs68rcode said:
they also limit you to 2500 miles a year. This is the reason why I did not choose them. Grundy does not have these limits.

I'd have to beg to differ, I'm with Hagarty and I have no mileage restrictions at all.

Cory

BroadwayBlue

390cs68rcode said:
they DID tell me I was limited to 2500 miles a year. That's why I use Grundy.

I don't think we were doubting that's what they told you :smile:
We're just surprised since both Cory and I weren't given any restrictions.
Could it be based on state maybe or something else?

I called both Haggerty and Grundy and went with Haggerty because they gave me a better quote - interesting though you were given the limitation.

I was actually surprised when they told me no limits and double checked with them.

Rich

rvrtrash

I have had Haggerty's for a number of years and have several cars insured with them. I seem to recall when I first called them I was told they limited the cars to 2,000 miles per year for pleasure and 2,000 miles per year for shows, cruises, etc.- a total of 4,000 miles PER CAR. However my policy, which I just received for 2006, doesn't have any notation about mileage on it at all. How would they even enforce a restriction like that? Maybe they just say something on the phone about mileage to weed out the people that use their car all the time, to minimize their exposure. Just thinking out loud here.
Steve

Diesel Donna

My current insurance company has always 'allowed' me to drive my car only 2500 miles a year , but I can never begin to put that mileage on the car so I didn't have a problem with that (kinda). But they required that I write down the mileage on the renewal form every year. But what are they gonna do...come and look at the odometer themselves? I figure the only time I could get in trouble was if I had an accident and a representative of the insurance company came to see the car.
When I lost my old El Camino in a fire recently, they just took my word for it and sent me a tow truck and a check. No pictures, no fire dept. report, nothing.

~~~~Donna

BroadwayBlue

Yeah I feel the same way - I don't think I'd ever put that kind of mileage on my CS. I barely put that many miles on my 96 GT Convert for that matter :grin:
I have around 29,000 on that and I'm going to have it 10 years this year.

My policy says nothing either but I also assume they might question the mileage if you all of a sudden added 10,000 miles on our renewal.
It's understandable - It cost me less to insure this car for a whole year then one monthly payment on my regular cars. They can give these kind of rates because of the type of use most classic car owners have and the fact we pamper these cars for the most part.

Of course Donna - if, God forbid, you had an accident that's when you need them most :wink:

Hey could you post or send me a pic of your Ambulance - would love to check it out.

Rich

Diesel Donna

Absolutely Rich. I'm not sure how to post it here so I will email you. Let me know your email address please.

~~~~Donna

Mosesatm

Donna, here are the buttons to click on to load pictures.

Manage Attachments
Browse - find the picture on your computer and click on it
Open
Upload
Close this window

The pictures must be less than 1000 pixels wide or tall and the file must be less than 253K, I think.

Diesel Donna

Thanks Arlie, I'll give it a try! I am probably the most technically disadvantaged person on earth.

Diesel Donna

HOT DOG!! I did it!

Thanks again Arlie...hahahhaaaaa, it's just the little things that make me happy! :grin:

BroadwayBlue

Thanks Donna!
Great car!!
My brother-in-law wants to buy and antique fire engine and keeps asking me to go in on it with him.

Do you drive it to shows, parades? ...

You said it was from NY, was it in service here? Do you know where?

Man this thread is all over the place :grin:

Diesel Donna

BroadwayBlue said:
Thanks Donna!
Great car!!
My brother-in-law wants to buy and antique fire engine and keeps asking me to go in on it with him.

Do you drive it to shows, parades? ...

You said it was from NY, was it in service here? Do you know where?

Man this thread is all over the place :grin:

Rich,
Yes I drive it to shows and have gotten several trophy's already. The first one was in Joplin, MO. as I was driving it cross country last June and stopped to see my sister...and she had signed me up for a local show. No parades yet but it has been in them in Rochester , NY with the previous owner.
The car was originally ordered by the Deal, New Jersey Volunteer fire dept. I just happened to find it in my hometown in western New York. I put it in a barn and then a year later I drove it from western NY to the Deal, NJ fire department. (Right below NYC) . They even gave me two pictures of it on the day they took delivery of it. I had a blast there!
Just today I took her out for a spin and got groceries. Went to the hardware store and loaded up there. oh yeah, the swap meet too.
The Deal fire dept has a 1961 American La France for sale.....1000 gallon pumper in great shape with low miles. I have pix of it.( MidnightSpecial owns an AFL also!)
Where are you from in NY? I'm from Jamestown originally. I'll be coming back there again this spring...gotta tow my late Dad's truck back for my stepmom. I'll be driving back to the west with an empty car trailer...anyone need anything transported? I have excellent references! :grin: Thanks for liking my ride!
~~~~Donna