• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Marvel Mystery Oil - Opinions?

RU_SPCL2

After my last oil change, I developed an intermittent lifter tick on cold start that goes away as the engine starts to come up to temp. It sounds like a single lifter may be sticking just a bit, so I'm not too concerned, but I am slightly annoyed by it and would like to make it go away.

Before I get into any mechanical work to resolve it, I'm considering going old school and adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the crankcase to see if it will get rid of the problem.

I know that there are lots of different opinions out there about additives in general, and I'm not a believer in them for the most part, but the composition of MMO, which is basically a mineral spirits-based solvent, seems to make sense if the lifter noise is due to varnish or other build up.

Just thought I'd ask our resident mechanics for opinions on MMO or other similar additives in terms of effectiveness and/or any harmful side effects.

For completeness, we're talking about a 289 with roughly 6000 miles on it since being rebuilt. The car is driven occasionally, and sits no more than a month between workouts. I am currently running Valvoline VR1 Racing 10W30 (conventional) in it. I previously ran Joe Gibbs 10W40 with Lucas additive. The tick appeared after the switch to VR1.

OK -- WWRD (what would Rob do)? :)

dalorzo_f

Have used MMO as well as when I had none on hand adding a half quart of ATF to the engine for a short while before changing the oil. Both provide added cleaning action over just oil to remove small amounts of crud... IMO it can't hurt.

franklinair

Go for it. It certainly won't hurt and could help. I've used it for years- as an oil additive, and also in fuel to lube fuel injector nozzles.

Neil

66hcs-conv

I have always used a B G product called MOA at every oil change. B G is located in Wichita, KS, and I don't know if their products are available nationwide. I know that many car dealers include MOA as part of the oil change.

While this doesn't apply to the older cars, I also use BG 44K every 10K miles. Excellent injector cleaner.

Have fun, Dave

robert campbell

Marvel Mystery Oil will not hurt a thing. I have used it. +1 on the ATF comment. I use it to "fog" my boat motor every year when it is put away for winter.

Rob

OP
OP
RU_SPCL2

RU_SPCL2

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Seems like most agree that MMO might help and won't hurt anything.

Also interested in opinions and experiences with using it as a fuel additive. Anyone use it regularly, or occasionally? What effects, if any, do you feel? Improved idle, mileage, power, etc?

Happy Turkey Day to all who celebrate it. And wishing a safe day tomorrow to all our East Coast and Midwest friends who are being affected by snow and rain. Stay warm!

robert campbell

I have turned into a fuel additive zealot for any car that sits for long periods like in the winter. Not usre how Marvel will work, but Stabil has a good following and I use it in the winter months up here in Seattle. I store my boat every year with a full tank of gas and it runs fine the next summer.

The ethanol in our current gas attracts water and then corrodes the finish in our older carbs. I have had little trouble with rubber goods in our carbs, but the water creates quite a mess in you carb. I poor a small amount using a funnel into the overflow of my boat carb. This ensures that the float bowl has a good amount in it.

Rob

robert campbell

Wish I had a source for Val's car. It would really liven her up a bit more!! I have the water methanol injection on the GNS. Guess I need to find a way to methanol mist the 8 stacks on her car!!

Rob