• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. anti-freeze leak

66hcs-conv

Hi Gang,

I've got an anti-freeze leak, & I can't figure out where it's comming from.
289, 2bl, auto.

With the engine not running, I'm getting anti-freeze dripping off the oil pan bolts on the right (passenger) side. It will also run down the oil pan & drip off of the pan. The engine looks dry around the freeze plugs that I can see, and up the block right above the oil pan. I can't see all the freeze plugs.
I can wipe it off, come back 2 hours later & the oil pan bolts are about to drip green anti-freeze.

The car is kept in an attached garage, and I don't think the temp ever gets to freezing.

I'm lost here, & would sure appreciate your thoughts and advise.

Thanks, Dave

Midnight Special

...Possible seepage from any of the radiator hoses or thermo housing if not a freeze plug. I had a leaky thermostat gasket that ran coolant down the front of the block and along the oilpan flange for a ways before dripping. Roll up & place some tissue around suspected areas and see what materializes...

P.S. I've had to tighten clamps (bypass, heater hose etc..) when cars sat out long winters on occasion as well.

Ruppstang

+1 on Tim's advice. Have often found leaks on hoses after sitting all Winter. Marty

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

THANKS for the help. I like the rolled up tissue/paper towel idea. I will check all the clamps.

I got "volunteered" to help with the local library book sale today & tomm, so it will be a couple of days before I can work on the car.

Thanks again, Dave

franklinair

The last time I had a 'mystery leak' like this, I ended up re-torqueing the intake manifold bolts. There was a minute leak @ the rear of the intake mating surface.

Neil

rvrtrash

I had a timing chain cover that corroded once. The gasket surface looked good but there was a pinhole leak in the cover itself. I agree to check heater hoses, etc first but it's may take a bright light and some time under the car to trace it out.

Steve

obwan93001

...Possible seepage from any of the radiator hoses or thermo housing if not a freeze plug. I had a leaky thermostat gasket that ran coolant down the front of the block and along the oilpan flange for a ways before dripping. Roll up & place some tissue around suspected areas and see what materializes...

P.S. I've had to tighten clamps (bypass, heater hose etc..) when cars sat out long winters on occasion as well.

+1 on what Tim said above. I experienced the same thing and turned out the original thermostat housing had seen better days. It had slowly corroded from the inside out to where cast iron in some small areas was pretty much replaced w/calcification. Gently poked around it and went thru in one spot not far from where the hose fit around so seeped thru there. Plus a PO had replaced the top rad hose just before I bought the car and hastily cut it and it was slipping onto the thermostat housing at an angle so those two things, separetly, caused the same leak to happen to me. Replaced thermo housing and gasket then when it happened again I re-seated the hose and all better.

Good luck and let us know what you find when you get at it.

Oscar

our special

Dave if the antifreeze is mostly on the back end of the base pan and if your car has a/c, there is a very good chance that it is one of the heater hose connections on the firewall. I find that the hoses have a tendency to weap after the the engine has been shut down for awhile.

Just run your fingers under the hose clamps and you may find some dampness.

Good luck

Dave