• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Mustang Monthly Editorial--"anti-GT/CS?"

clubpro

I've been restoring Mustangs for 20 years now and none of my prior Mustangs have affected me like my GT/CS. It's probably because as a 10 year old I went to the Ford plant just a few miles from my house and saw this lime green Mustang being built, but it wasn't your normal Mustang it was different from all of the other Mustangs. It had cool side scoops and a duck tail spoiler and it was the coolest car that I had ever seen.

In 1993 I had long forgotten about that car and went to the show at Knott's berry farm and there was this 1968 Mustang, but it wasn't your normal Mustang it was different... and the memories came back of my visit to the Ford plant in Milpitas. My cousin ended up buying that car at Knott's and shortly after my quest began to learn about the cars thanks to Paul's first book. I finally found mine in 98 and it will never be sold.

I look forward to our celebration of the 40th birthday of this unique car. Well got to go, the Henry Ford clinic is calling...

Cheers,

Ron

Midnight Special

I hear you Ron I'm the same way!!!

....... I go into my whole long GT/CS rendition of "Let me tell you how it all started..."

No one has walked away mid-sentence yet - they seem truly interested and and surprised to learn the history on the cars.

I know there are others here that are the same way ...!

...That's precisely why I would like you to fly out to NorCal for our April car show, Rich!

I'll provide the "chatty wagon" ;-)

wally05

Sorry, I actually did put Lime Gold in the original email... i still have it. :) They must have goofed a little... maybe I goofed. I knew it was Lime Gold... Sorry! lol.

wally05

Korey,
Would you be considering these upgrades to a 25,000 original mile 428 CJ GT/CS??

Then again - if the car was that I wouldn't have sold it to you in the first place !!! :grin:

Nope, most likely not. I'm more of a purist like that. That's the reason why I was torn. I asked the question just to see if it would make it into the mag to tell you the truth. :) Maybe I'll win the Young owner's club thing and you can see a shot of me with it. :)

If it was a big block car, I would only modify stuff that could be bolted in and out. I bought this car to keep and as such I'll probably modify it a little. I'm a small block fan just b/c of the simplicity of them. Easier to change plugs, etc. I'll probably put on front discs, keep the manual steering (I'm actually about to install a flaming river GB with a quicker ratio...) and possibly upgrade to pb for comforts sake. But, I love the acapulco blue, so when it comes time to repaint... it'll probably stay that way. But, my mind could change and I'll go back to LIME GOLD (I did check, I must have been in a hurry writing the email... my teacher always said to check before turning in... oops). I like black interiors, so that will stay for sure. I may upgrade to a sanden compressor. I'm putting in a new shifter...

In the end, it's my car, I'll do what I want with it. Even if it was a rare 428, I'd still do the same thing, but I'd only do bolt-ons. I'm keeping all stock parts, cleaning them, repainting them, and then putting them away.

Also, if the car was a 25,000 mile original 428 cj and I bought it... I wouldn't be in school anymore... couldn't afford it! lol. Rich delivered a nicely maintained 68 gt/cs and if i sell it, i will do the same.

Edit: After driving it on the highway at 70mph... it could definitely use one more gear, so a 4-speed may be in order, lol. But, I'm insured on limited mileage at least until my rates drop in another few years, so I have plenty of time to find one. :) To think about it, I'm happy I made it into the mag as it may get people thinking about them and researching them. :D

John McGilvary

What A Thread !!

Boy, I've been smiling all the way threw this thread.

IMO, the MM editorial was not putting down the CS and seemed to be a reasonable answer to the guys question.

My CS/CJ is going to stay original, but that dosen't mean I have anything against having one with some tastefull reversable modifications.

John

Mosesatm

Attachments

• Monster Mustang.jpg
    Monster Mustang.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 28

clubpro

Kinda gives a new meaning to putting the car up on blocks...

The bigger questions is how do you get it down???

68gt390

As I see it, any publication that does an article on our cars is positive. Articles done on Mike's car (somethingspecial), Casey's article in Mustang times, Greenlight's Diecast model and all of Paul's books only serve to further our cause and respect for our cars. At almost every show I go to local or outside of the Columbus area always brings tons of questions for me and I'm more than proud to answer them. Driving these "Special" cars and ensuring the general public see's them is what it's all about to me. As long as I'm able to push the history and stories about the GT/CS I will continue to do so proudly. As the slogan for the Navy says, it's not a job it's an adventure and I'm loving every minute of it.

Don :grin:

aemoo28

I would just like to say that I saw, for the first time, a '68 CS that had been purchased back into a family who sought it out with regret for selling it a few years prior. I was amazed that they found it again. The owners informed me that it's in one of Paul's books, and that he'd bring it to the next MNW meeting. I'm so excited to see this book, and I was so excited to see this original car! I don't care about the luxury of power steering etc; I think it's a great way to build up those biceps! AND I've had to educate people who call my '08 a fake Shelby. (and pay the ER bill) I ask, how do you know the CS stands for Cali Spec & not Carrol Shelby? Hello.....! The CS is Shelby inspired, right? And REALLY were there less CS made than Shelby? How much coffee have I had tonight? (Sorry)

clubpro

There were 4451 1968 Shelby Mustangs produced compared to 3867 California Specials.

Cheers!

Ron

Last edited:

clubpro

Here is the break down from SAAC on the 68 Shelby;

During 1968, 4451 examples were produced. 1253 fastbacks and 404 convertibles made up the GT350 model line. The GT500 was available as a fastback or convertible. There were 1140 GT500 fastbacks and 402 GT500 convertibles produced in 1968. 1968 also saw the production of 933 GT500KR fastbacks and 318 GT500KR convertibles. Only one GT500 Notchback Prototype was produced.

Cheers!

Ron

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

It's sooooo tempting ... I just don't know that I can swing it this year... :undecided but haven't ruled it out totally of making some West Coast trip

<<tugging on your arm>>

Rich! You're coming to Galpin Auto Sports on April 19th!!
And that's all there is to it!!

:)

PN

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

And REALLY were there less CS made than Shelby? How much coffee have I had tonight? (Sorry)

You're from Seattle, and you're worried about having TOO MUCH coffee?? LOL!!

The production numbers -- from production only (despite the marketing split with the HCS), puts is back to 4118. They were a parallel production project with the '68 Shelby in preproduction at A.O. Smith, and the HCS wasn't part of the original plan in late '67. They did the HCS in response to slow CS sales in April and May, and set it up for Colorado.

To comment on the articles, etc... I just think that it's been long enough time to get the details right in books, etc. I realize that it's an honor to see these things in print, but they should do it right, and be a little less critical, and understand the ownership pride that we see here today...

PN

BroadwayBlue

I have to say this is one passionate group of owners.

I've had VW's in the past and was always surprised/impressed with their passion.

But this is something different. They were usually a club of fairly local people.

This is a global group of owners that share this passion! I think it's great.

And I agree it's great to see our cars in print but it's frustrating when the info is wrong.

Midnight Special

...As I believe; It's up to us to learn as we go and convey (do) outwardly - to be noticed and likewise reported. Otherwise, we can't expect non-passionate writers to take the initiative (for us) over the many other classic cars out there.

In other words: Don't blame the messenger when you don't give him the message in the first place.

Also - These guys write detailed articles about different cars, mods, etc... every month! They are not afforded the time to sit on this site and dwell, research and digest only "one car" like we do daily!

In addition; I rarely see anyone from here outwardly submit much of our "passion" to these folks... rather we say "wait for the book" while complaining as tho we're victims of THEIR misunderstanding...

Such nonsense!
IMO only...