• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Mustang Monthly Editorial--"anti-GT/CS?"

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I'd gladly offer information to any writer--and have several times in the past.

I just did it with Casey's GT/CS article in MT. Any good writer should be a good researcher, too. And they should get a clue about the enthusiasm, and the individuals that are involved, and report on it, too.

if I was doing an article on the '69 Mach 1, I'd have an e-mail to the head of the registry immediately--and talk to some owners. I wouldn't "pretend" to know about those Mustangs--and fake it like a bad high school term paper (that the dog ate! LOL).

I personally know of a few national Mustang writers that have a habit of making mistakes all the time!! There is no excuse for that.

With the great (CS) folks that I've known over the years, it's only fair to include their ideas and thoughts--and passions about their car.

It might not be required for every article, but with all the droll I've read so many times--as filler to some quick pics that they got of someone's Mustang in a magazine -- I think we deserve better.

This is not rocket science.

Sometimes I think we exhaust the conversations here, but one thing remains the same--the continued passion for these cars.

So--it's not "nonsense" by any means.

Paul N.

wally05

I'm sure many members from here have shared their passion in one way or another. I love this car. :) I still push information onto people when they ask for it. I really have read a lot of misinformation also. It really is ridiculous sometimes how much some of the mags do get wrong. And it's not just on our GT/CS cars (which I see tons of mistakes in the books at barnes/noble), but many other vehicles that I know stats and such for... it happens way too much.

I think we can blame the messenger if he is a writer given the task of doing an article on a car. If we can get the information, he/she can get the information. In today's world of the internet... there are no excuses for ignorance. :)

Midnight Special

I personally know of a few national Mustang writers that have a habit of making mistakes all the time!! There is no excuse for that....

...Sometimes I think we exhaust the conversations here, but one thing remains the same--the continued passion for these cars.

So--it's not "nonsense" by any means.

Paul N.

...Then with all of your contacts, all the information that gets funneled to you and all the implied authority, passion and expertise you say you have - DO the thing YOU say you're best qualified to do! Pick any number of accomplished folks here and write the articles with YOUR name on it.

Wouldn't that be the the most efficient way to remove the ambiguity and otherwise "poor representation" you complain about??

Mosesatm

How does one get a car featured in a national magazine? Do we mail letters with representative photos included? Do we send e-mails instead of letters?

If we really want to spread the message to the non-believers then some of the non-Mustang magazines may be the ones to go after. I don't read any non-Mustang magazines but there must be some out there that cover all collectible cars.

Let's do this deal. Let's start posting names of magazines with addresses, and/or contacts and get national exposure for more of our cars!

rvrtrash

How does one get a car featured in a national magazine? Do we mail letters with representative photos included? Do we send e-mails instead of letters?

If we really want to spread the message to the non-believers then some of the non-Mustang magazines may be the ones to go after. I don't read any non-Mustang magazines but there must be some out there that cover all collectible cars.

Let's do this deal. Let's start posting names of magazines with addresses, and/or contacts and get national exposure for more of our cars!

I did just what you're talking about, although it's a Mustang mag, and just listed a link on this thread.

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5826

Steve

hotrodgrany

YOu guys just made my day, especialy when I am couped up on this cold winters day here in Iowa. It's days like today I wished I could take her for a spin, but both of them are garaged here for now.

Attachments

• PICT0546.JPG
    PICT0546.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 23

case12

It is hard work and takes time. The more work you do (good writing, and good pictures), the better chance you have 'cause most of the mag editors have a real small staff and are looking for new material, but dont have time to write everything themselves. This is true in the business world too - if you want it done, and done right - then do most of the work yourself and let them just edit it. There is also an element of luck - right place, right time. I found many mags crave articles around the Nov, Dec timeframe because show season is ramped down and many cars are put away for the winter, along with the busyness of the holidays. So, most my articles got picked up when I wrote them over Thanksgiving or Christmas. They love having the material to fill the Jan and Feb and March issues. Just a trick that worked for me. I have another GT/CS article on the GT/CS, XR7-G and Shelby Blueprints we bought that just got accepted for the April issue - It is 11 pages of pictures and text with a lot of research and history that I had Paul edit for me. It took me the better part of a day to write (not including all the research), and then some more time editing....not easy. The Blueprint article will make the GT/CS look VERY good, and puts it in the very same class as SHELBY - with evidence!!! With this article I hit the timing so the 'low time' of articles during the winter and holidays hit the mag editor just right to have material for a spring issue. Remember, articles are written 2-5 months before they go into the mag (sometimes even longer - I have another article waiting from 6 months ago that has not be taken up yet). I would be happy to help anyone write an article on their GT/CS. That does not guarantee acceptance - acceptance takes timing, quality, luck and persistence - but I love the GT/CS and HCS enough to help anyone. I do it for the fun - the recognition helps an awful lot at shows too - when they see your car, and it is featured in a national mag - they pay more attention to your car and my chance to move in and "preach" more about the Cal Spec and my love of it. Just some of my own experience......for the two cents it is worth. Casey

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I absolutely agree....excellent idea. The effort will, at least make editors more aware of what is going on with us. The same could be said for most other Mustang marques. I just think that the "status quo" of well-known Mustang writers should raise the bar a lot higher-for ALL Mustangs, not just ours.

PN

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I did just what you're talking about, although it's a Mustang mag, and just listed a link on this thread.

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5826

Steve

I think, that overall, it's a good idea for Mustang writers and editors be made aware of our website, and the information provided (which we owe another thanks to Jon for).

Not only for the basic facts, but to see just how passionate and loyal we are to our marque--because 40 years of ownership is just as important as the history and authenticity.

PN

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

...Then with all of your contacts, all the information that gets funneled to you and all the implied authority, passion and expertise you say you have - DO the thing YOU say you're best qualified to do! Pick any number of accomplished folks here and write the articles with YOUR name on it.

Wouldn't that be the the most efficient way to remove the ambiguity and otherwise "poor representation" you complain about??

Well, yes, and I intend to do just that....

But I should point something out. This time around, I have the support and assistance of many here, and outside of this site that have GREATLY helped me with information, data, photos, and moral support (and money, too).

So--this is not a singular effort. I'm more of a collector of information, and my "expertise" is only from doin' this for a long time. What I know about this Mustang is only a little piece of the whole Mustang world. If you think, Tim, that I'm a "primadonna" or something, it's out of my pride, not ego. You have no idea how much I think of the entire group not only here, but in the registry as a whole. My motivations and words here reflect my passion for the passion of all of you. I'm in this position from my willingness back in 1987 to do something about these cars, to make them remembered, and to know just how they came about. I earned my position here, and it took a lot of time and very hard work.

I have no agenda to put anyone down, nor their CS, and I never have. There are at least five people here that know more about certain aspects of the GT/CS than I do. I'm crediting them in the book, and they are being compensated. I'm also honoring people like Lee Grey, Fred Goodell, etc., for their work on the car, too. This is, and will be a group effort. If I can catalyze what this Mustang means to owners by using some of my clout, so be it. It's not for me as much as it's for you.

I don't know what else to say to address your tainted agenda you've had out for me for a long time, Tim.

All I can be is honest, friendly, professional and fair.

Paul N.

Midnight Special

Well, yes, and I intend to do just that....

But I should point something out. This time around, I have the support and assistance of many here, and outside of this site that have GREATLY helped me with information, data, photos, and moral support (and money, too).

So--this is not a singular effort. I'm more of a collector of information, and my "expertise" is only from doin' this for a long time. What I know about this Mustang is only a little piece of the whole Mustang world. If you think, Tim, that I'm a "primadonna" or something, it's out of my pride, not ego. You have no idea how much I think of the entire group not only here, but in the registry as a whole. My motivations and words here reflect my passion for the passion of all of you. I'm in this position from my willingness back in 1987 to do something about these cars, to make them remembered, and to know just how they came about. I earned my position here, and it took a lot of time and very hard work.

I have no agenda to put anyone down, nor their CS, and I never have. There are at least five people here that know more about certain aspects of the GT/CS than I do. I'm crediting them in the book, and they are being compensated. I'm also honoring people like Lee Grey, Fred Goodell, etc., for their work on the car, too. This is, and will be a group effort. If I can catalyze what this Mustang means to owners by using some of my clout, so be it. It's not for me as much as it's for you.

I don't know what else to say to address your tainted agenda you've had out for me for a long time, Tim.

All I can be is honest, friendly, professional and fair.

Paul N.

...Very well...then perhaps more time will tell.

Paul, I appreciate your heartfelt response in recognizing the huge effort and support everyone here has given you.

If I have to be the "bad guy" who occassionally draws that out of you after years of reading your "intentions"... So be it.