• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What are prices and availability for Tailight Assembies?

pippin

I am starting to investigate parts for my 68 GT/CS to take to the painter with it. I have a couple/three of questions. (Sorry if this should have been in the classifieds section.)

1) My car has been lightly rear ended and there is minor cracking and damage to the taillight insert and to both taillights. I could fix the fiberglass inset, or save it and get a new one for now. I wanted to know what is a good new (OEM or re-pro) or used source for these parts and what i might expect to pay. T-bird parts for the lights are OK for now.

2) I want the insert and my GT wheels painted the same silver, similar to the Shelby, any idea of a paint code for that?

3) Also, i want new OEM or very high quality bumpers as i do not have any faith in china cr@p which will rust in 5 minutes. This car is a driver and MUST be able to handle rain and such. What are good sources for QUALITY bumpers, door handles and other chrome parts.

TIA!
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/imagesCS/smilies/cheesy.gif

case12

For #1 I have seen some on eBay recently and they may still be up. Also Tony Branda Mustangs sells them. He is a great source. Casey

P

PNewitt

As for the T-Bird taillight housings (inserts?), try the swap meets. Look for and ask for the 1964 and 1965 T-Bird housings. 1966 T-Bird taillights are different. OR-- ask at a T-Bird parts store. Don't tell them that it's for a Mustang or Shelby, because that will double the price, and they might not want to sell to a non-T-Bird owner.

Also--be sure to get the taillight pigtail harness. The one that includes the bulb sockets, and the wiring up to that big six-position plug. GT/CS owners "can't have too many" of these parts...since they're good to have on hand, and share with other CS owners over time.

Same Silver as Shelby? Do you mean the back panel--silver? It's pretty common; ask for the styled steel wheel silver paint (in a spray can) from any Mustang parts dealer.

For bumpers, ask for an OEM type, or go looking for an original one, have it straightened, and re-chromed somewhere close to you.

BTW--Welcome! I see you're new. We're here to help.

Paul N.

OP
OP
pippin

pippin

Thanks for the tips, as for the chrome shops-

um, they all have been run out of my county! There are none close to me anymore! Thanks EPA!

I found a shop, Les Swab Tires, that medea blasts and paints wheels for $35 each! and they look good to. They have a mistic silver which looks nice, i think i will consider that for the tail section also.

There was a tail light set on epay for $250- is that fair?

Yes, newbe here - Have sold a torino and am a proud owner of a line gold GTCS build jan 8th 68 i think, its a basic 289, stripy interior with only really seatbelts as the option. I plan to slip (cram) in a 390 GT (416 cid and a Big in Out Toploader I have to price it up!) Want to keep it all stock looking though. I want to find 428 cobrajet exhaust manifolds and go though the springs and stuff to stiffen it up one notch (with a 9 inch also) Boy the $$$ are already adding up. First it to get the old girl repainted, and i hope to start that this month!

Thanks. How the heck do you make these smily faces work anyway? Oh i got it! LOL!

:grin:

John McGilvary

Welcome pippin !

It sounds like you have a plan for your CS. You will have to beef up your front end some to handle the BB. Good luck.

John

P

PNewitt

Before you drop that big block in there, you need to strip off the grime and paint from the inner and outer parts of the shock towers--near where the upper control arms bolt in.

Where the sides of the towers meet the angled parts of the top half--there can be cracks there. Be sure to get them welded up ASAP.

As for the chrome--it would be worth a drive to the next county's shop to get what you need. Bring ALL your chrome all at once, and have done as a batch job. A good time to bring any engine parts, like the 390 valve covers, air cleaner lid, and any pulleys for that custom look.

Paul N.

rvrtrash

Pippin, if you post the info under "Date" on your door tag, we can tell you when it was supposed to be built. Do you have a Marti Report on the car? Jan 8th seems pretty early for a CS. How handy are you? I ask because for what the tire dealer would charge you, you could buy a bead blaster setup and do your own wheels and then you'd have it for other projects. I have two different setups and could send you in the right direction if you're interested. As for the chroming, I use a local guy that sends stuff out to Canada in batches. I think the company he uses is Alberta Plating but with the dollar going below the Loon for the first time ever, the price might be a little stiff right now. I'd also recommend doing a search for other places that do plating. We have two in Spokane, Wa. so it's probably just your local area that doesn't have them anymore.

Steve

Just saw your post on the Marti thread with the Feb 13th date. Never mind.

Steve

OP
OP
pippin

pippin

Cracks, eek, will look for that. Im fairly handy, its just

trouble is... with a wife, kid and funky old house, time can be thin!

My friend does have a bead blaster and a cool zinc home plating kit from caswell to restore bolts, clips and such!

Ill just plug away little at a time.

The frustrating part is i have a 410 HP 416 built with a 236* solid lift cam, and i wan it in the car so badly, but i have SO much work to do before i install it. LOL! I may have to put the engine in my truck just to brake it in...

P

PNewitt

Yes, Steve is right. Jan 8th is too early for GT/CS Production, which actually began at the end of the month. Before you go any further, you might want to post your door's data tag info, and get a Marti Report. What is your VIN (if you wish to post it?)

I'd hate to see you go to all this trouble, and then realize that you actually have a modified, "clone" GT/CS.

Paul N.

franklinair

Pippin;
Paul's suggestion of cleaning & inspecting is a good precautionary thing to do, but shock tower cracks are not predominant in small block cars. Some suppliers offer aftermarket doubler plates to reinforce the shock towers - a good idea for big blocks/high torque engines.
Neil Hoppe

BroadwayBlue

Just saw your post on the Marti thread with the Feb 13th date. Never mind.

Steve

Feb 13th is still pretty early thought isn't it?

Timeline on the site has Feb 1-10 having the original prototype cars built for the unveiling and production not starting until Feb 17th.

The Feb 13th date drops it in between those timeframes.

joedls

Feb 13th is still pretty early thought isn't it?

Timeline on the site has Feb 1-10 having the original prototype cars built for the unveiling and production not starting until Feb 17th.

The Feb 13th date drops it in between those timeframes.

My car was built on 2/13 and it is 3 #s away from this car. His is 141596 and mine is 141599.

OP
OP
pippin

pippin

Oh, sorry it is Feb 13th.

The fairlane vert i just sold was Jan 8th. Gosh i should be ashamed for remembering the wrong birthday for my baby! LOL!

Yes it is Feb 13th. Car data is posted in the Martini Report Thread.

As joedls said, my vin is 141596.

cheers.

(SIDE NOTE: i have a crazy neighbor BLASTING opra at 8.45 a.m.! Only in California!)

carezcs

I don't know where you are on the west coast but you you might try Faith Plating in Santa Monica. They somehow still do nice "white " show chrome. Had my bumpers on a '46 Ford woodie done there and they were beautiful. There is has been a chrome plater from Arizona at the pomona swap meet in the past but I don't remember their name. My CS was built on the 9th of Feb. My Vin is 139212.
Bruce

jk89cat

i have a set of undamged taillamps i would let go cheap, the lenses are cracked and the chrome needs redone, but the housign are there and in good shape and they have the pigtails, , 65 bird was the donor