• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Prices of GT/CS

mbsf1970

o.k., so I bought my GT/CS in Oct 2013 when the exchange rate on Canadian vs. U.S. dollar was pretty close to even .... think I paid 5% for currency conversion. Now that same conversion is 25% (quite a difference) I wouldn't be able to afford the same car I have now had I waited!!

Currency aside, what is eveyone's feelings about the price trend?? It seems as though prices are trending upwards by a substantial amount.....anyone else care to contribute their thoughts re: price trend for GT/Cs'

Stephen

sam

I think you are correct. I've seen some high asking prices 32.9k - 37k and I'm not impressed with the condition is some cases. And oh by the way............when you're trying to sell your car..................run a vacumn over the floors! Nothing so unappealing as dirty floors and pedals.
Sam

dalorzo_f

Recent web item I saw noted "old" pickups have doubled in price in the last 3 years. All late 60s/early 70s muscle is up in the same period.

An analogy in the classic car world, "post war" (WWI) cars are appreciating at similar rates, collectors have most of the top tier cars. So look to the next level for the next trend in collectability. Similar in Mustang-land, as Shelby's, 68 1/2 428's, etc. are almost all gone (rare barn finds, and everyone knows the value) the money in the market trickles down to the next level.

As a somewhat different car of moderately limited production the GTCS falls into the second tier collectable category, and as the market is good they are going up noticeably...

CougarCJ

Generally all classic, or collectible car values have been climbing. The cost to restore a car yourself is very expensive.
A 'decent' paint job, with body work, is going to cost $8-12,000 or more. Add in engine and transmission rebuilding, interiors, chrome, misc parts, you will be over $20,000. And this excludes the initial purchase price of the car.

If you weigh the cost to restore an old car, or buy one already done. You will likely be money ahead if you find a nicely restored car already done. Provided you have the funds to buy it outright.

In my opinion, to see how the values are trending, we should monitor the price gap or premium over a similarly equipped 1968 Mustang hardtop.

Don

Generally all classic, or collectible car values have been climbing. The cost to restore a car yourself is very expensive.
A 'decent' paint job, with body work, is going to cost $8-12,000 or more.

Absolutely correct not to mention the cost to rechrome/refinish trim and source the correct components. A top notch, already done, CS/GT at 25K is a bargain IMHO. My latest favorite trend in collector cars are the Derelicts being done by ICON: https://youtu.be/fQVpSFoROg4 Keep in mind that prices on some cars peaked in the 90's are now about half of what they were getting at the peak. As with all collectibles it is difficult to predict, with certainty, what will continue to trend up or fall out of favor.

franklinair

I save all receipts, add them up, and that's the value I put on the car. No labor, because I consider this my hobby- not for profit. This week I'll tally up my costs to date to get a feel for the final cost of my current CS project. Major costs so far: Car=$13K, shipping=$1k, paint/body work (stripped to bare metal, new L F fender, headlite bucket, driver door, rework L R quarter, paint- base coat/clear coat)=$8K.
That's $22K so far, plus a myriad of additional parts & components. I'll be surprised if I total out at less than $28K. Its fun, but it ain't cheap.:eek:

Neil

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 25

Ruppstang

I find it nearly impossible to build a correctly detailed concours car for less than 50K even doing a large part of the work my self.
Your best bet is to buy a completed car, but spend the money on a quality inspection.
Marty

BigJim

Prices going up is vary good. It makes it so much easier to justify a new part to SWMBO when you can tell her you're not upside down on the value of the car.