• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Train Chasing...

PonyGal

Had an amazing day on Thursday chasing trains with Midnight Special. We started in the morning up in the foothills of the Sierra's waiting for the historic Union Pacific Engine #844 to come down the hill toward Sacramento. We then chased it down for several more miles getting pictures at each stop. We then chased a freight train back up the hill to Colfax before ending the day. We had a BLAST!!!

Thank you Tim for another wonderful day...

Attachments

• 100_6718.jpg
    100_6718.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_6722.jpg
    100_6722.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_6728.jpg
    100_6728.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 39

SD CASPCL

Very nice pics. I am curious, does the engine still burn coal? I would have thought that was a dead issue in California. Just curious, as we have one here that runs during the summer, the "1880 Train" for tourists.

Midnight Special

Wow Renee, You got some great shots! :)

No Mustang on this trip, Rich. There's often a need for 4WD in getting to some of these spots and I figured you guys would be mad if we boonie-crashed a CS :-O

SD CASPCL, 844 burns oil & lots of it ;-)

BroadwayBlue

Wow Renee, You got some great shots! :)

No Mustang on this trip, Rich. There's often a need for 4WD in getting to some of these spots and I figured you guys would be mad if we boonie-crashed a CS :-O

SD CASPCL, 844 burns oil & lots of it ;-)

You mean you don't have a 4x4 Mustang in your stable?? :grin:

Still seems like a great day!!

Mosesatm

Here ya go.

Attachments

• brycesmithj4a.jpg
    brycesmithj4a.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 31
  • brycesmithj3a.jpg
    brycesmithj3a.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 30
  • brycesmithj1a.jpg
    brycesmithj1a.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 33

rvrtrash

Tim, my oldest son is an engineer for BN and ran trains in to Kettie (sp?) from Klamath Falls before transferring up to Seattle. He says it's a beautiful run. Have you ever been there?

Steve

Midnight Special

Tim, my oldest son is an engineer for BN and ran trains in to Kettie (sp?) from Klamath Falls before transferring up to Seattle. He says it's a beautiful run. Have you ever been there?

Steve

Steve, that is known as "the high line", a former Western Pacific branch that provided a shortcut to Klamath and BN from WP's Feather River Route at Keddie. There is a famous & often photographed 'Y' shaped bridge there.
Even before all the mergers, we used to see BN trains drop into Oroville. I haven't been up there in years, but it was a fun line to chase because of all the first-generation diesels in faded pre-merger paint schemes ie: Burlington Route, Northern Pacific, Spokane Portland & Seattle and Denver & Rio Grande to name a few...

Midnight Special

Had an amazing day on Thursday chasing trains with Midnight Special. We started in the morning up in the foothills of the Sierra's waiting for the historic Union Pacific Engine #844 to come down the hill toward Sacramento. We then chased it down for several more miles getting pictures at each stop. We then chased a freight train back up the hill to Colfax before ending the day. We had a BLAST!!!

Thank you Tim for another wonderful day...

...Thanks for bein' there, Renee :)

Attachments

• _DSC0034.jpg
    _DSC0034.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 29
  • _DSC0079.jpg
    _DSC0079.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
PonyGal

PonyGal

Wouldn't have missed it for the world Tim!

Hey, you haven't posted any of the pictures that you took on Thursday. I'm sure that with your nice camera you got quite a few good shots and I still have not seen any of your pics. Please share... :)

Midnight Special

Wouldn't have missed it for the world Tim!

Hey, you haven't posted any of the pictures that you took on Thursday. I'm sure that with your nice camera you got quite a few good shots and I still have not seen any of your pics. Please share... :)

...Not many good as yours Renee, but here's a few :)

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 31
  • _DSC0058.jpg
    _DSC0058.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 28
  • _DSC0049.jpg
    _DSC0049.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 27
  • _DSC0030.jpg
    _DSC0030.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
PonyGal

PonyGal

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. We had a great day chasing that train down the hill and considering how fast it was moving, I'm surprised that we were able to get as many good shots as we did! It was running behind schedule and trying to make up some time. It was MOVING!!! :eek: