• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 The middle of the night "Oh shi...p.." moment...

dalorzo_f

So stressing about work related crap in the middle of the night, so to side-track myself start thining of the next things to do to finish the GTCS and get it back on the road... as posted engine and trans in... so what next... connect driveshaft, connect rad/carb/etc.. connect/check wiring, connect trans lines/linkages, re-check all reassembly bolts for torque, add fluids.... fluids... oh crap...:rolleyes:

I realised I forgot to add a quart of ATF to the convertor before installing. Web search, and have seen posts saying it must be done, others that say no.

Opinions? Is it best to unbolt and drop the trans and add some ATF now, a couple hours work on my own and not a huge task. but if I can avoid it that's not going to break my heart...

???

robert campbell

I have an experienced Ford automatic builder that use. I will ask him. First blush is you will be ok, but you need to have 4 or 5 quarts when it starts. Front pump will fill the convertor very quickly.

Of course this must be a new motor and you are immediately going to 2,000 rpm to break in the cam? Roller cams do not require that break in.

Rob

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thanks Rob. I have the ~$200 worth of Type F ready to go. Runs about $60+ for 5 litres, have 15 litres on hand (thems 15.85 quarts!) :smile:

Yes, new motor. It is a very mild build (basically a stock C code), expecting a massive 197 Hp at the flywheel if I am lucky!. :wink:

As I am not sure how quickly the engine will fire, not sure if the cranking will pump fluid enough to get it primed and I can crank, fill, crank, fill, until it fires them add slowly watching two things at once... will need an assistant for that one...

Your help appreciated.

sportyworty

It will be fine Richard. Just don't drive it until you have about 9 quarts in total and have a good read on your stick. The pump will fill the TC fast so get 5 in right away and fire it in gear on stands then top it off with the remaining 4-4.5.

robert campbell

Richard,
My tranny guy says you should be just fine. He said ensure it is in park when you start it and you may be able to go as much as 6 quarts of pre fill. Especially if you have a deep pan.

Rob