• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Not a good night!

whodat

My luck finally ran out. I went to a car show 40 miles from home. When I was returning home I came off a red light under normal speed and the timing chain either broke or skipped a tooth. I'm not 100% sure. I talked with Neil and this is what we think happened. Also Hagerty road side service couldn't get a tow truck at 9 pm. They said since I live in a rural area nobody wants to take the call. I broke down at 9 pm and didn't get home till 1 am. I had to pay $250 out of pocket for the tow. And I pay for roadside service. Looking to switch companies now.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402239339.198059.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402239339.198059.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 70

mbsf1970

So sorry. There's nothing quite as helpless as being stranded in no man's land late at night. At least it wasn't an accident, which I thought it was when I was started reading the acceleration sentenceHope your gt/cs gets over this illness real soon.
Stephen

rvrtrash

It seems Hagerty should pick up the tab, or at least part of it. Keep us informed on how it turns out. Usually Hagerty is pretty good at taking care of it's clients.

Steve

Mosesatm

Does the car backfire when you try to start it?
Before tearing apart your engine you may want to replace the condenser, just for kicks.

franklinair

Dominic told me that the distributor rotor does not turn. Bad sign. :-(

Neil

BroadwayBlue

Sorry to hear about the car.

I've had to use Hagerty Roadside Assistance on 2 occasions. Once on my 68 and once on my 96.
Have been very satisfied with the service both times. Once I was in a very remote area. Had to wait awhile but they tracked down a tow and kept me up to date on progress via phone. It was over a 50 mile tow but within my Roadside limit.

I know for one I had to pay out of pocket but all I had to do was send in the receipt and they reimbursed me right away. I don't recall if I had to do that both times.

Hopefully it works out. I would check with them on the reimbursement.

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

They sent me a email to send the receipt and I'll go from there with it. I'm going to pull the dizzy first and then go from there.

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

It's the timing chain. Does anyone know if a 289 is a interference engine? I.e. would the valves get bent when the chain broke? There is a machine shop around the corner and he thinks it might be one.

franklinair

Nope. Just get a timing gear and chain. Install, and you're good to go.
Been there, done that.

Neil

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

Hagerty refunded my $250 for the tow truck. She also said I should use my Hagerty plus roadside assistance next time. And if I need cards they would send them to me. I can't call her back, but when I do next week I'm going to tell them they were the ones who said they couldn't find a tow truck to bring me home.

robert campbell

Nope. Just get a timing gear and chain. Install, and you're good to go.
Been there, done that.

Neil

Neil,
When I got my GNS it had a wrecking yard 302 in it. It also came with the original VIN "J" code 302. It had an original timing chain and gear in it which was worn beyond belief and it had jumped teeth. 15 of the 16 push rods were bent and the number two block bullhead that supports cam bearing and number two main was cracked from top to bottom.

This is David Athans type of damage done by a young guy with his foot to the floor when the chain let loose on a basic stock motor. Like you I have replaced many a 60's era timing chain and gear set and all was good.

I would recommend the installation of the new timing chain and gears. If the old upper timing gear is the "plastic" coated aluminum variety, I would drop the pan to remove any debris. The old gears of this type broke up a lot of little pieces that can work their way into the oil pump. And then jam it and break the oil pump rod.

With the front off the motor it is the easy time to drop pan and install a one piece pan gasket. And a new oil pump and heavy duty pump rod. Cheap stuff to ensure a long mile motor lives.

And after that I would recommend a compression check to see if any valves got tapped. More than likely not, but an easy check before you seal her up.

Rob

BroadwayBlue

Hagerty refunded my $250 for the tow truck. She also said I should use my Hagerty plus roadside assistance next time. And if I need cards they would send them to me. I can't call her back, but when I do next week I'm going to tell them they were the ones who said they couldn't find a tow truck to bring me home.

Glad you got the refund and definitley would let them know. :grin: