• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

The GT/CS perspective vs. the resto-mod hype

Midnight Special

...Personally, I don't view concours restoration as a challenge per se - I could easily facilitate one if I wanted to. But what would I do with it when I was done? I enter the local shows with very clean cars, then with friends; drive them... Many CSs here operate that way, yet are maintained spotless for presentation whereas the "average guy" would drive to work, school, store, etc... not caring so much about dirty engine compartments, balding tires, door dings, & on & on...

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

...Personally, I don't view concours restoration as a challenge per se - I could easily facilitate one if I wanted to. But what would I do with it when I was done? I enter the local shows with very clean cars, then with friends; drive them... Many CSs here operate that way, yet are maintained spotless for presentation whereas the "average guy" would drive to work, school, store, etc... not caring so much about dirty engine compartments, balding tires, door dings, & on & on...

Since you have several GT/CSs, perhaps you could hand-pick one to take aside and go through for strickly concours competition. Mike (Something Special) will be driving his GT/CS like a new car from now on; so can you. You have the rare luxury of having the best of both GT/CS worlds--many "drivers", and one for show.

Maybe it's time to "take the concours plunge"? Mike and I (and anyone else) can offer help and advise to get you there.

Whatta ya say?

Paul N.

speedy02

Well I would love to go back to original with the rust bucket I have. But its going to be hard to bring it back to life right now. Anybody know of a place that will dip the whole car for rust removal in the Midwest????

Stacey Enderle

Hey Paul,
I read the same Mustang Monthly article.

(IMO) In my almost 40 years of owning my CS, every few years they come up with something cool to modify our cars with. But the modification coolness
seems to always fade away when some new high $$ mod is put on the market.
For me originality is what makes my California Special cool. I agree with the (MM) article.

John

I second that, owning an original "unmodified" CS has a special place in my heart. My CS has been in my family for almost 40 years and I'm planning on getting mine out next summer 2008 and enter it in parades and car shows for fun and to celebrate 40 years of the existence of our CS's. It's been in it's original state all those years and plan on keeping it that way.

Stacey

Stacey Enderle

Well I would love to go back to original with the rust bucket I have. But its going to be hard to bring it back to life right now. Anybody know of a place that will dip the whole car for rust removal in the Midwest????

Wish I knew, at best at this point is sand blast off the rust and coat it with a rust resistant paint. I'm sure there's other mustangers know abit more than I do when it comes to rust. I live in Minnesota, I know. I keep my CS in the garage. The only time, I dare take it out is when it's nice and dry or the highways are well cleaned off by the rain to get rid of all the salt.

Stacey

Midnight Special

Since you have several GT/CSs, perhaps you could hand-pick one to take aside and go through for strickly concours competition. Mike (Something Special) will be driving his GT/CS like a new car from now on; so can you. You have the rare luxury of having the best of both GT/CS worlds--many "drivers", and one for show.

Maybe it's time to "take the concours plunge"? Mike and I (and anyone else) can offer help and advise to get you there.

Whatta ya say?

Paul N.

Well, the white one's already perty darn close (98% Marti save for the dual exhaust) and I don't drive it very much. The 390 would be next w/ alot of detailing, removal of electric fuel pump, correct wheels, paint job and correct intake w/ smog system. (a certain Sheriffs Deputy around here pulled me over and confiscated my (correct) air cleaner - I thought they were supposed to enforce compliance... Not this guy! ;-) Weird!!

So we'll see perhaps. Being in touch with all of you has more than kindled interest and awareness needless to say!...

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Since your green 390 car is the rarest, I think it would be the best candidate for some form of concours. Besides you have the original spare in that one. Maybe "someone" up there could help you out with any of those elusive 390 parts. I hear that the cops in them there hills horde stuff like fog lights, holleys and FE parts 'n stuff..

By the same token, one of your other specials should be slated for vintage mods; like the ten spokes, and other Shelby goodies, perhaps. That would be neat. I can see you having one of each, in terms of stock to modified. It's like having three of the old AMT model car kits--as it said on the box: "build it stock, drag or custom". Besides, one of them needs to be in the next Sacto Autorama next year.

Let's do it.

Paul.

Midnight Special

...The next Sacto Autorama should definitely be a Mike "somethingspecial" thing far as our area is concerned. He's certainly paid the price. I'll be happier to fly the "camera ship" on his way there ;-)

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I could use some of that GT/CS "archive footage" for the book's DVD.

I have a small collection of other owner's footage--including the last BBQ, but having video of several CSs on the road, roaming through the foothills would be great to have, too.

Paul N.

Midnight Special

I could use some of that GT/CS "archive footage" for the book's DVD.

I have a small collection of other owner's footage--including the last BBQ, but having video of several CSs on the road, roaming through the foothills would be great to have, too.

Paul N.

...My next planned outing probably won't be until June 30th and another local car show. by then I should have another 390 4-spd delivered. No video of substance from me so far, but we could plan some depending on Mike's car being ready... Tons of still photos tho.

Attachments

• DSC_0638.jpg
    DSC_0638.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Well, there must be some good shots on video. Perhaps, with a friend of mine who has a big video editing facility, we could piece together people's vid clips into some sort of "60's rock video" for the DVD that looks like an old home movie...

I'd think that anything on tape of five or more CSs would be of great interest.

Thanks,

Paul.

p.s. if anyone else out there has videos of their GT/CS on the road, please send it to me (about 20 min. or less).

(mail to: Paul M. Newitt, GT/CS Registry, P.O. Box 2245, Davis, CA 95617)

Midnight Special

Well, there must be some good shots on video. Perhaps, with a friend of mine who has a big video editing facility, we could piece together people's vid clips into some sort of "60's rock video" for the DVD that looks like an old home movie...

I'd think that anything on tape of five or more CSs would be of great interest.

Thanks,

Paul.

p.s. if anyone else out there has videos of their GT/CS on the road, please send it to me (about 20 min. or less).

(mail to: Paul M. Newitt, GT/CS Registry, P.O. Box 2245, Davis, CA 95617)

...There were eleven at the recent Fab Fords Show. With the concentration of beautiful CSs in SoCal, maybe Joe, Lisa, DD or John can spearhead a Sunday picnic/ drive-by say; on a local airport ramp or someplace away from traffic. People gawking and/ or dividing the group at stoplights etc... can cause stress & confusion at times on the freeway...

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

You got that right. Just keeping five of us together in L.A. / Bev. Hills traffic was a feat...but we managed (Donna finally knew where da heck Wilshire Blvd. was. DUH!! )

There is also using an empty parking lot., or seldom used country road, etc.

And by the use of editing, it can still work.

Paul.

Just curious--is there anything about the GT/CS on YouTube?