• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Frame Resto: Where to Weld?

P

PNewitt

Some Mustangers use lower frame rails to restore the stiffness of the frame (actually the unibody).

However, to preserve originality, would anyone know where the critical places are located to weld up the underside and underhood area to bring back that original strength?

I can highlight diagrams in the book to indicate where these locations are.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's done this, and especially those who've done ground up restorations.

Any photos you can post would be helpful, too.

Thanks!
Paul.

J_Speegle

Paul I'm a little confused (nothing new)

Your mixing adding "welded sub frame connectors", "preserving originality" and "restoring"??????

Did I miss something? If not, I don't think the two go together and might not fit the book - unless it's going to be a "How to Modify your Calif Special" guide ;)

If so you might consider adding fuel injection or how to change over to alternative fuels :0

somethingspecial

Jeff, I think what Paul was trying to convey is over the years many mustangs develope stress cracks, especially if hot rodded. My take on Paul's question is where are the places most prone to cracking, and using a diagram he would highlight the areas so people would have a referrance to the areas and where the unibody, frame rails and torque boxes might need attention and/or welding to restore the strength.
My S code needed lots of welding, but it was done before I got the car back and am not privey to where it was welded/strengthened.
I may be way off base here, but that's how I took it. Mike

CougarCJ

Paul, I think the source that you are looking for is the 1968 Osborn reproduction "Weld & Sealant" Assembly Manual for a Mustang.

There are a host of reproduction body and repair/patch panels available from places like Dynacorn.

The key with any rust repair when welding panels is the need for solid steel that can be welded. Rust or rusty metal is not gonna work.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Sorry for the confusion. Mike is right. I was prefacing my comments with how others just add the sub-frame rails, and doing that sidesteps an original restoration of the underside; not that I was asking about doing that.

I was asking for which spots are key to weld up to restore the stiffness of the unibody. Such as the torque boxes, bottom of the shock towers, etc., etc.

My CS flexes like a twisto-flex watch, and after 430K miles it tracks like a three-legged dog. I'd like to get it back to the original strength. Years ago, I had to jack up the left side just to get the Export brace to line up at the shock mount locations.

There must be some goos spots to do that. The Ford shop manual might explain that. I know that they include the "X" measurement for proper alignment under the car.

thanks, Paul.