• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Replacing Rear Bumper

stangfan

I have a re-chromed Ford bumper that I bought just after acquiring my GT/CS. It even has a correct build code. I want to install it this Spring. When I unbolt the old one from the car, do I unplug the license plate light before I remove the bumper or should I take the screws out from the light housing first? Also, there appears to be a rubber(?) shield which I assume is to keep the light from shining up from the bumper. Is that mounted on the bumper or on the taillight panel?

Thanks. :grin:

franklinair

1.) Unplug the connector for the tag light, and pull the wire out thru the rear panel.
2.) IIRC, the rubber shield is attached to the rear panel.
3.) Be SURE you cover each end of the bumper so as to not scratch the paint.
4.) Four bolts inside the trunk secure the bumper brackets.(2 on ea side)
5.) Install the bumper brackets & tag light on the new bumper & reinstall.

Neil

dalorzo_f

And I think its is supposed to only use 3 screws, I just used the ones available to keep it from sagging.. the piece is a DeadNutsOn one, nice part, correct material (masticated rubber not flat sheet) and fit better than the other repros I had..

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

1.) Unplug the connector for the tag light, and pull the wire out thru the rear panel.
2.) IIRC, the rubber shield is attached to the rear panel.
3.) Be SURE you cover each end of the bumper so as to not scratch the paint.
4.) Four bolts inside the trunk secure the bumper brackets.(2 on ea side)
5.) Install the bumper brackets & tag light on the new bumper & reinstall.

Neil

Thanks Neil!

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

And I think its is supposed to only use 3 screws, I just used the ones available to keep it from sagging.. the piece is a DeadNutsOn one, nice part, correct material (masticated rubber not flat sheet) and fit better than the other repros I had..

Thanks for the pictures! I'm guessing that the plate light wire comes out through the shield. Is that correct?

Jester

I changed bumper this weekend and found it easier to just unscrew the light from the bumper and let it hang while I bolted on the new bumper and then I just screwed the light back on. But I didn't change the rubber shield.

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

I changed bumper this weekend and found it easier to just unscrew the light from the bumper and let it hang while I bolted on the new bumper and then I just screwed the light back on. But I didn't change the rubber shield.

Thanks Jester. I had been thinking about doing that also. Seems more straight forward than unplugging and pulling the wire through. :grin:

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

One more question on the bumper swap. My car has the rear bumper guards. I noticed that they actually extend a little over the bottom edge of the bumper. Will the guards complicate removal or installation of the bumper? I'm hoping they don't need to be removed first.

Thanks again. :grin:

dalorzo_f

They are "kind of " in the way. As its 4 bolts to remove, easier to just get them out of the way and install after the bumper... as you note the upper edge lips over the lower of the bumper a bit and IMHO it would be a bummer to scratch a new bumper trying to work around such an easy part to remove and replace...

Jester

You shouldn't need to remove them. When I removed my rear bumper I bolted on bumper guards and when they were on I reinstalled the bumper. If reinstalling bumper works with guards, so should disassembly.

It was very easy and I did it myself just holding the bumper in place with my knee while bolting it on, but the paint on my car is far from perfect so I could take the risk. You might want to ask someone to hold the bumper for you while your working the wrench. Good luck!

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Okay, the old bumper is off and all the hardware and tag light have been switched over to the new one. I got the bumper guards off first and am glad I did. Ended up taking the light off as I realized that I would most likely want to clean it up. Correct! The lens was so cruddy, I am surprised that any light got to the plate. I am going to tape off the bumper and see if I can get my wife to give me a hand putting it on. :grin:

Thanks for all the advice.