• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Replacing all wiring?

bassman2

Well, when I'm not obsessing on trying to buy a Shelby, I'm still working on fixing 2 '68 specials. Slowly working I should say.

I've been cleaning up the inside and I'm staring at the various wiring harnesses and thinking that they should be replaced. In fact all the wiring should be replaced.

What do you guys recommend? Painless? Or just get each appropriate harness?

Did our 68 specials use the Gt harness?

Sources? Is there a complete kit available?

GT/CS S Code

We installed a Painless harness from the front end right back to the tail lights, but grafted the new harness onto the orginal tail light harness. It was very good quality and I thought the price was quite reasonable. Actually, it was more than reasonable since it was half the price to order it from the USA as it was listed for up here in Canada at my local distributor! ($606.00 US compared to $1,200.00 Canadian!)
:eek:

nfrntau

I also installed the Painless wiring front to back. And I also used the original taillight harness. It was well laid out and easily identifiable. Each wire has a number and label telling you what it's for and the tech support is top notch. Those guys know their product and are very helpful in figuring stuff out. I installed an Ididit steering column with cruise control and a third brakelight. They walked me through wiring up those things even though they were not their products.

I highly recommend the Painless harness unless you plan on concours.

J_Speegle

I would consider and at least compare Alloy wire looms

Pete over at CoralSnake is (well most of the time) running some sort of sale on the stuff he handles.

GT/CS S Code

A suggestion ...

... by the way, if you're going to install a new wiring harness you might consider wiring in a "kill switch" at the same time. My mechanic wired one in for us with a hidden key, so that if we're away from home and have any concerns about our car we can just turn it off and pocket the key. If anyone tries to hotwire the car it has no power to the system and won't start. A car thief won't have the time to track down the problem and will abandon the car ...
:cool:
Just something to think about.
Cheers,
Al & Laurie

mustang.biz

I would hold onto the original wiring just in case a future owner wants it for reference if they decide to go concours

OP
OP
B

bassman2

I just ordered a painless kit. And I Am keeping the existing wiring - not just for the next owner - But to make sure I can put the new harness in!!!

I'm taking pix and labeling everything.

J_Speegle

... by the way, if you're going to install a new wiring harness you might consider wiring in a "kill switch" at the same time. My mechanic wired one in for us with a hidden key, so that if we're away from home and have any concerns about our car we can just turn it off and pocket the key. If anyone tries to hotwire the car it has no power to the system and won't start. A car thief won't have the time to track down the problem and will abandon the car ...

Done the grounding switch but a kill switch without a hood lock might not really work, since few hot wire the car from inside the car (under the dash) like in the old movies ;)

Just a consideration IME

nfrntau

With the painless kit you will find that you need to use some of the original connectors etc. For a great looking job. Things like blinker light plugs, cig lighter slip on fitting and the fuel tank slip on connector at the tank come right to mind. Other stuff will come up. I also installed relays for the headlights while I was at it. If your thinking about it, now would be the opportune time to install these.
I also installed an alarm in my car and used the door activated light switches so I didn't have to drill any additional holes. If your thinking about an alarm now would be the time to install and wire that in also.