• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Replacing 68 trans with 65 C4 - interchangeable?

ColoMustang

Does anyone know if the 68 Mustang transmission (such as in a case where the Mustang originally had a manual trans) can be directly replaced with the 65 C4, including linkages, assuming you use a 68 shifter for authentic appearance?

rvrtrash

If they are both 6 bolt bellhousings, I would guess it would work, but I'm not positive.

Steve

robert campbell

ColoMustang,
As Steve said if it is a 6 bolt it will bolt to the engine. It also should have no tunnel problems, but the drive line yoke and drive shaft length may be a problem.

The 1965 "green dot cruise-o-matic" is very different than a 67/68 C4. It was designed with three shift points. Low, the green dot, and drive. In low you get low gear only. In the green dot mode (second) it starts in first and shifts to second and then to third automatically. In the drive or what your shift indicator would say as "D", it starts in second and goes to third. Ford thought that starting in second was good for snow and such. Kinda a hold over from the old automatics from the late 50's and early 60's. the all started in second and went to third. the only way to get low was to put it in low and shift it manually.

I would not do this to your car. Either rebuild yours or get a good used one somewhere. In my mind this would be a step backward in "driveability".

Rob