• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Problems with Headlight high beams

Sarge

Hi all, hope those who enjoy the 4th of July weekend are having a good time. And the rest of you, just having a good time. :smile:

I have an issue with my High beam lights, they won't come on. I was hoping it was a dimmer switch, but I've replaced it with the same results. Headlights will come on when headlight knob is pulled, but lights go out when I try to hit the dimmer switch. Little red pony does light up in the dashboard though...

I have checked the fuses, all good, I have checked the bulbs, Sylvania sealed beam Halogen headlights. (could the headlights be the problem because they are requiring too much power?) Tried new Dimmer Switch.

Without tearing into the dash panel, and really get in over my head, are there any quick/easy ways to tell where the issues are?

Regards,

Robert

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

Think if the headlight switch "breaker" was active it would kill both low and high.

I would check the power to the plugs, look for corrosion/loose connections and if the power feed is hot on the high connection.

Test the lamp to ensure it is working on both hi and low beam (battery with wires to the correct terminals on the bulb). That will tell you if its the wiring/feed or the bulb.

If a bulb, easy, replace. If wiring, then you trace back to the source. Not fun... I hate chasing electrical gremlins...

S

slimt

I would check for a broken wire. or one that may have separated from the connector.. just guessing here.. or try a wire tester to see if its live to the bulb..