• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Poor condition CS

Stathy

A very close friend of mine stumbled across a very rusted CS for sale today and asked me to look at it and give me my opinion. Here is what we saw:
The car was an original C code car but is missing the engine. The frame rails, floor pans, torque boxes are shot and need replacing. The interior is somewhat intact but require replacing of most soft parts. All exterior badging, trim pieces, less foglamps seem to be there.
He tells me that even though it is in very rough shape he feels as though it is a project he could tackle himself.
I cannot offer much of an opinion as my project for the most part is running and rust free :)

I know this is a very tough question to answer...but is a car in this bad of a condition worth restoring? (by the way I told him yes). What kind of value should he be looking at offering?

Many thanks for your time.
Stathy

rvrtrash

Everyone here knows I believe in saving almost everything, but if the frame rails are rusted through, along with everything else, I wouldn't bother. It would cost much more to rebuild than just buying one already done or a better condition project. As far as value, with the condition you describe, I would see if the fiberglass parts are original and in good shape and then offer half of the value of those parts. It sounds like everything else is shot, so half of the CS specific parts would make it worthwhile hauling the car home, stripping it and selling stuff off. Just my opinion.

Steve

gazrox

I am in the process of restoring a car that is probably in equivalent state to the car you have described. Sure, you can go out and look for a turn key car - if thats what you want. But, after restoring a car, you can look at it and see your own blood, sweat and tears that went into the resto - that is one of the best feelings about owning one of these classics.

I have completely stripped my CS and it is at the sanblaster today. I will then be replacing front and rear frame rails, torque boxes, floor pans, front fenders and rear quarters. This also was an original C code car, but has a 351W. I'm keeping the 351W - I get asked why I would do that after going to all the trouble of a restoration - my answer is that I'm doing the car for me and I'm not interested in concours judging, I want to drive this baby! I am also putting back the original numbers matching C4 trans. I can't get a service block so the chances of finding a 68 code correct 289 are slim.

If your friend has his heart set on a CS then restore it - that way you get to do it the way you want. The other thing to remember is that with a car that looks OK, you really need to go over it well as there may be hidden issues. I would count on putting aside $30K to do the restoration, and I wouldn't pay any more than $2500 - $3,000 if it doesn't have an engine.

Hope this helps!

PFSlim

Oh... Lets see. We replaced the both rear frame rails, both rockers, both rear quarter panels, reworked both torque boxes, both floor pans. We paid $3,000 for this car, as it looked in the first picture.

We did all the work on the car except having the 289 hipo built and had the painter remove and replace rear quarter panels, wheelhouses, and rockers. We blocked and primed the car and sent to him for color and clear. As well, we had an interior guy recover our seats and install our headliner.

Our thought process was this. We wanted to do a Mustang project. Once we found a GT/CS (even as bad as shape as what it was) we thought we had to save the car.

All in, I am sure we have more money in the car than what it is worth, however, building a car with your brother and your (what was then) 10 year old son, taking the car to numerous shows and getting thousands of compliments (and awards), being asked to drive your kids to school or practice so they can show off the car ------Priceless!!

Paul

Attachments

• Stang2.JPG
    Stang2.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Stang12.JPG
    Stang12.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Stang022.jpg
    Stang022.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 38
  • Stang018.jpg
    Stang018.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Stang23.jpg
    Stang23.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 36

PFSlim

Here are a few more pictures. We have about 80 pictures posted in the large gallery (see red letters to far left) somewhere around page 5 or so.

Let me know what I can do to help by answering any questions or concerns.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang25.jpg
    Stang25.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Stang01.JPG
    Stang01.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Stang015.jpg
    Stang015.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Stang7.jpg
    Stang7.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 28

Midnight Special

...Really amazed every time I'm reminded of what you guys did to restore that car Paul!

Now, if you REALLY want to get your point across - show us another picture of your trophy wall ;-))

Perkchiro

Paul: I agree with Tim. I am truly amazed at the transformation of that heap into a beautiful show car. My project car wasn't in bad shape, but I chose a complete nut and bolt resto, knowing that the dollars spent would be greater than the end value. Those who undertake such projects know the feeling of bringing something back from near extinction to a thing of beauty and admiration. It does bring a sense of pride and joy that could be correctly categorized as "priceless". Once again, two thumbs up for a great job Paul.

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Sorry for the late response. My internet was down for a day and I've just now had the opportunity to log in.
Thank you to everyone that responded. It's interesting to hear peoples varying opinions on the topic of classic cars in this type of state.
Steve I completely know where you are coming from. I had seen a CS for sale in Ebay a few months back (seafoam green) which was in way better condition than this one. Had I known of my buddy's interest I would have bid for it and paid probably over 6K for it. The owner is looking for 4K for the CS in question.
Economically speaking it makes more sense to pay 10K or even more and do less work than to buy this one for 4 and dump in a ton of money and time.

But, i'm a beleiver that every classic should be saved. A few years ago I picked up a very rusty Alfa Romeo Sprint Speciale (1963) for just under 10K. It was definately not worth that amount (nor could i really afford it) but since they only made 1366 (in 6 production years) of them I thought I would be foolish to let this opportunity to own a piece of history pass me by. The fact that the production numbers were very low also made it possible for me to justify the purchase (at least this is what i tell the wife).
I guess where i'm going with this is that I feel as though the CS's are just as precious as my Alfa and that in my opinion should be saved. Just as Paul did.
What an inspiring set of pictures Paul!
Thank you so much for sharing them.

@Holmes

If you are referring to the Lime Gold GT/CS I bought off E-Bay in October, I paid 4550. I was prepared to pay 6. If you have patience you will always find the car you want. I look for unrestored mustangs. But rust is always a concern. If the car was an R code, anyone would take it - even if it meant a re-body (which I totally believe is wrong). And I'm sure that a rusted out GT/CS would be picked over a similar equipped rusted out coupe. But the market moves up and down and people eventually sell. I believe that most unrestored cars were bought in the early eighties and are beginning to pop up now. The sales pitch goes, “I bought this 20 yrs ago with the intent on restoring.......” Further, I’m sure several members of this site have an extra GT/CS hidden away that they secretly hug at night so that the running GT/CS does not get jealous. If you ask - well beg - enough, one of them might sell you a very nice project that won’t require a welding or cutting torch.

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

ahh you lucky SOB!
J/K.
It looks like you have yourself a great base for what i'm sure will be a beautiful restoration. I'm looking at another car on ebay right now that is ending tomorrow and it looks like it is in wretched condition. On the surface it looks worse than the local car I was talking about. We'll see how much it fetches.

Best of luck with your new (old) C/S!
Cheers
Stathy