• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Photo Your Winter Fun

joedls

Joe,
They came from Mustangs Plus. CJ Pony parts have some good photos of them and also sell them. They need to order them and are not in stock so it took 4 to 6 weeks to get them.

Yes, cutting hog rings is hard work!! I was a sheet metal mechanic in my younger years and still have a great grip from running tin snips and such. But it is quite a workout!

Rob

Do you know where I can get a good set of hog ring pliers? I hated the ones I used!

Powell

Joe, you are so close that if you order the pliers from Summit Racing they will be there the very next day.

Ruppstang

WOW!!! I will not let Val know this!!! Our daily driver is a 1996 Ford Ranger 4X4. With 232k on the odometer!

But she really likes her little truck and it is so handy for our Lake Cabin stuff.

Rob

Oh Rob my lips are sealed. Although I think Val's ergs are quite satisfied by that black beast in the garage.

BTW great job on the cabin. I have done one like that and know how much time it takes. Car repair and construction too, man when do you sleep?
Right after the beer?

Ruppstang

...Indeed, Marty. Other than the Mustang name and some badging, they are completely different cars. Your "choice" may as well be between any new car and a '68 as there is really no comparison at all.

We took it up & down two curvy highways and a one-laner river canyon road, braking hard and powering out of turns in ways that would be downright scary in the elder. Bigger? Yes, but in my book a well-engineered serious handler and powerhouse with excellent visibility compared to most other supercars TJ's had me drive. The only thing for me to get a handle on was shifting.... 'Kept going from 2nd to 5th with that close-knit six-speed opposed to our long-toss units...

All in all, it felt very predictable, powerful and comfortable while doing everything I wanted it to do (speaking practically) ....and getting as many good stares doing it :)

Seeing your beautiful 68 black GTCS got me thinking that I have not see more than one or two black GTCS's. Was your car originally black? I wonder how many GTCS's were originally painted black?
Marty

Midnight Special

Seeing your beautiful 68 black GTCS got me thinking that I have not see more than one or two black GTCS's. Was your car originally black? I wonder how many GTCS's were originally painted black?
Marty

Mine was originally Sunlit Gold (according to purist papers), but it's steadily been the favorite of people who see them. While I don't know how many CSs were black, I doubt any had the gold stripe... Another nice touch in my book :)

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 21
  • _DSC0934.jpg
    _DSC0934.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 20

franklinair

I'm gonna be a copycat. My next CS project was originally Sunlit Gold, repainted Black. I'm going to have it repainted Black, Nugget Gold Deluxe interior, Gold side stripe. Its a 302, A/T, P/S, P/B, A/C.
Probably my last restore project. These 75 year old bones & muscles are getting stiff & sore.:undecided

Neil

p51

I love this color combination! Reminds me of the Hertz Shelbys.

The color scheme also looks great when combined with the original black and gold CA license plates... the plates look like they are actually part of the car

James

hcsstang

HCSSTANG winter project

I didn't work on any cars this past winter so I apply to work with wood working.

Attachments

• 20150514_210622.jpg
    20150514_210622.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 17

rvrtrash

spent the day at rob's lake cabin eating some amazing ribs. tough duty, but somebody had to do it

Attachments

• Brothers.jpg
    Brothers.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Mosesatm

Go ahead and enjoy your retirement!
I spent the day in the Brownsville, TX area checking names on graves, and I get to do it again tomorrow; so there!!!!:tongue:

Oh, wait. Nevermind, you win.

Ruppstang

Mine was originally Sunlit Gold (according to purist papers), but it's steadily been the favorite of people who see them. While I don't know how many CSs were black, I doubt any had the gold stripe... Another nice touch in my book :)

I found how many GTCS were Black tonight in some information Arlie sent me a while back. It shows that there were 77 black GTCS and HCS made.
Marty

Midnight Special

I found how many GTCS were Black tonight in some information Arlie sent me a while back. It shows that there were 77 black GTCS and HCS made.
Marty

...Interesting, Thanks Marty. I almost bought a "Martied" (Raven Black I believe) back in '05. There were some ugly welds & poorly replaced floor pans, so I opted for the one I have now.

....and we need to remind Steve to go easy on Rob's ribs & briskets!...>

Attachments

• bdsteve.jpg
    bdsteve.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 15

Ruppstang

Tim I also meant to say you are correct there were no gold strips in 68 but IMMHO there should have been they look great on a black or highland green cars.

Steve may pay you a visit a bit more often to exercise that S code now that there is not a CTCS in his garage.
Marty

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The cabin is slowly coming along. One wall left to do. Val thought an old wood window would be a nice add so there you have it. Lots of trim do yet. Ugly rail will disappear into a short half wall. I am so busy these days I don't know what tool to use! A nail gun or a torque wrench. I am finishing the last major garage project, a 65 Mustang.

It was almost 80 today so I took a swim with our new dog Ajax! He is 7 months old now and is 50 pounds of stupid!!! His first trip to the lake float and back. He loves the water!!

It is almost Ribs and Brisket time!! Time to cook up a 20 pound brisket and make a third of it into Kansas City Style "burnt ends". Or as they are called BBQ Candy!!!

Rob