• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 New Matchbox GTCS Color ...

Mustanger

Attachments

• Blk_GTCS_MB.jpg
    Blk_GTCS_MB.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 48

stangfan

I've seen them on eBay. Very nice. For some reason, in Canada, we don't always get the Matchbox GT/CS diecasts. I have the red, green and grey ones, as well as the 60th Anniv. white one. Haven't found any of the later ones that have come out.

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

I was able to find this new color in my local Walmart, but it came in a 5-pack ($4.97) ...

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

I was able to find this new color in my local Walmart, but it came in a 5-pack ($4.97) ...

mbsf1970

I have a confession to make....

I am a big Vintage Matchbox collector...In fact I only collect 1969-1970 model years. They're called "transitional" or first generation "superfast" models.

I have been to 2 annual gatherings of collectors in Albuquerque NM.

At these gatherings there is a saturday evening dinner and those in attendance receive a "dinner model" which turns out to be a new casting that is to be released for production. It is a limited run of 200 I think? At the last gathering, I also set up as a dealer which meant I also got a "dealer" model at the Sunday show. The dealer model is limited to 75. I have both and they come in a plastic display box.

Turns out that this particular year the model was the GT/CS!!!

I love it. Its like a metallic Acapulco blue with white strips and racing tampos all over it! It's beautiful!!! perhaps a photo...

Stephen

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 58

Midnight Special

Attachments

• blk.jpg
    blk.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 59

azbeneman

I have a confession to make....

I am a big Vintage Matchbox collector...In fact I only collect 1969-1970 model years. They're called "transitional" or first generation "superfast" models.

I have been to 2 annual gatherings of collectors in Albuquerque NM.

At these gatherings there is a saturday evening dinner and those in attendance receive a "dinner model" which turns out to be a new casting that is to be released for production. It is a limited run of 200 I think? At the last gathering, I also set up as a dealer which meant I also got a "dealer" model at the Sunday show. The dealer model is limited to 75. I have both and they come in a plastic display box.

Turns out that this particular year the model was the GT/CS!!!

I love it. Its like a metallic Acapulco blue with white strips and racing tampos all over it! It's beautiful!!! perhaps a photo...

Stephen

That is really cool! I want one of those.....

Craig

Midnight Special

Love it ! That's what I planned for my next project.
Neil

Although not a "correct" factory scheme, it sure gets more compliments than the other colors we've had around here. 'Seems it would've been very popular if offered... Needless to say I'm thrilled Matchbox picked up on it :)

Attachments

• DSC_1370.jpg
    DSC_1370.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

...Thanks "Mustanger" :) I was pleasantly shocked to find these three while browsing a vendor at Laguna Seca last August!

Tim,
Wow, I didn't know you picked up these black Matchbox GTCS's awhile ago ... they do look pretty cool ...

I took a closer look at your pic and noticed a red mach 1 ('70?) in your hand ... is that a Matchbox or a different brand? ... I'm interested since I also have a '70 mach 1 (Ford Red, 351C-4V) :thumb: ...

Midnight Special

Tim,
...I took a closer look at your pic and noticed a red mach 1 ('70?) in your hand ... is that a Matchbox or a different brand? ... I'm interested since I also have a '70 mach 1 (Ford Red, 351C-4V) :thumb: ...

...Wow, Good eye there ;-) Yes, it's a '70 model by "Johnny Lightning" I found to compliment my Orange 1970 Mach, 351C 4v FMX auto...

It turns out I have two of them, so if you don't have the "JL" - PM me your shipping address & I'll get this out to you tomorrow or Monday at the latest :)

Attachments

• 70mach.jpg
    70mach.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

...Wow, Good eye there ;-) Yes, it's a '70 model by "Johnny Lightning" I found to compliment my Orange 1970 Mach, 351C 4v FMX auto...

It turns out I have two of them, so if you don't have the "JL" - PM me your shipping address & I'll get this out to you tomorrow or Monday at the latest :)

pm sent ...

Ruppstang

Every time I read threads like this I have to wonder how many of these toys actually get played with by children. LOL

Last edited:

Midnight Special

Every time I read threads like this I have to wonder how many of these toys actually get played with by children. LOL

...All of them, Marty!

And with regards to the commercial Scott posted - we did the same thing here with the same primates, only using a different app ;-)

Attachments

• DSC_3949.jpg
    DSC_3949.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 31

68 special

Hey, If anyone is interested in a Black Matchbox GT/CS, I won an Ebay auction. When they get here, I'll have 5 extras. I found a cheap lot and I couldn't pass it up.

So, if you want one, send me a pm. First come, first served.

Bret