• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Missed Kodak Moment

CougarCJ

Ever have one of those, "Darn I wish I had my camera moments?"

I had one of those today that involves a 1968 GT/CS.

My boss and I took a field trip to a wrecking yard with lots of vintage cars and parts. A private yard here in Oregon.

The owner of the yard owns a 1968 GT/CS that he wrecked 20 years ago. He has it stored, way up on a shelf in the rafters of his pole barn. This thing is at least 15 feet up in the air. Looks good on the passenger side, but the drivers side is supposed to be smashed.

I will return with my camera very soon.

rvrtrash

That is definately something you don't see everyday. Please post it when you get it. It should be in the next book, or on the next calender.

Steve

68 special

To me there's nothing better or exciting than to find a "barn find" wrecked or otherwise. Yes we want pics.

Bret:)

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

Should get back out there this week. We bargained for a bunch of engine brackets and pulleys. Couple of big bins (pickup truck beds) to sort through, probably a dozen more Ford and Mercury's cars from 1966-73, that have some engines and parts

There are several cars stored on the shelf in that barn, looks like toy cars put away on a shelf. For sure a Mopar, and I think a Camaro.

robert campbell

My favorite, and only, Aunt lived in the Albany Oregon area. I spent all my childhood summers there. As I grew older when I would visit, I would tour that back country and find old wrecking yards. It was like walking 20 or 30 years back in time! There would be stuff from the 60's that were almost a time capsule of the wreck they were in. Basically not picked over.

This was in the late 80's and into the late 90's. Not sure what it is like today.

Rob

GT/CS S Code

Thank goodness ...

OK, now I feel MUCH better! (My childhood summers were in the late '50's ...)
:wink:
In the late '60's several of my Ford friends and I would drive around the lower Vancouver Island area looking for derelict cars "lurking" in fields, barns, and old garages. We found quite a few, bought a few, and kept details on the locations of many more. Then along came "Project SAM", a Provincial government sponsored program where a portable crusher unit drove all around B.C. and would crush your derelict vehicles for scrap ... and at NO cost to the owner too! You would see flat deck trailers behind semi's driving down the highways with 10 to 12 cars flattened down to about 18" thick each!
A lot of fine old Fords and Mercs that we'd kept tabs on disappeared in a very short span of time, along with our major sources of old parts for our old cars and trucks that we were driving then. One of the oldies that we'd been monitoring as a possible hot rod project was a pretty much complete '39 Lasalle Coupe, but it was gone when we went to enquire about it. One of the local wrecking yards had THREE '56 Ford Crown Victoria's with the glass tops still in the roofs. Again, the next time we went to that wreckers looking for some used parts they were all gone along with many more of their older derelict or wrecked cars!
They all fell prey to Project SAM and ended up as scrap metal overseas somewhere.
Very, very sad days ...
:sad:

hookedtrout

Words of wisdom, invest in a small digital camera, put it in your pocket and never leave home without it.

After starting my journal books I quickly came to realize after reading year after year of my life how neat it would be to have a picture of this or that simple little moment in time. I realized that some of the simplest or craziest little pictures that you would normally never think to take a picture would make wonderful memories in my journal books. I have a Canon Power Shot that shoots 10mp pictures, very small, in my pocket at all times, I never leave home without it. I get strange looks at times when I whip it out and take pictures of things that people often wonder what would anyone want pictures of that for. When I pull it in the journal book and publish, it will be captured forever. Priceless! Digitial photography offers you the opportunity to take all the pictures you want, it's endless and you can just delete those you don't want, it's basically free after the camera and card investment.

On a side note for those that were part of the CS book we pulled together, I got back on to my journals and I have all the hand written journals typed in print, I've printed 5 more books spanning 10 years I have 3 more years almost complete and thank God I'm finally reaching the years with digital photography so I don't have to find every coinciding photo and scan it in, I just open up the folder for the appropriate year and drag it in. I should be done with them in the next couple of months and then I'd be open to making another CS book if there is enough interest, have to be doing something or I'll go nuts.

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

Tada

GTCSonashelf005.jpg

GTCSonashelf006.jpg

and the other cars.
GTCSonashelf002.jpg

Got the scoop on this car. 289 or 302 engine, wrecked on the drivers side.
Marvin the owner, said that the front clip had been replaced before he bought the car, no VIN stamped fender aprons.

somethingspecial

WOW, I don't know why, but that Highland Green just appeals to me. Great picture. Talk about a conversation starter. That is the true defintion of "Warehoused". Mike

Midnight Special

WOW, I don't know why, but that Highland Green just appeals to me. Mike

Hmm... I wouldn't know why either Mike, but it appeals to me too. I wonder if it's all that talk of late 'bout fixing Rhonda's car. Her's is Highland Green...

Do you know of any others? Post pictures if you do ;-)

Attachments

• attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 87
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 87

PonyGal

I only have one question..."How the hell did he get it up there in the first place??????" :-\

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

Stay tuned this car has been sold. It is a J code, my friend got the VIN with his camera phone. I'll post up the information Monday or Tuesday. Just happened to stop this morning and they had just brought it down from the shelf last week. Looks like it had been wrecked a couple of times.
Has a 1967 VIN stamped drivers side front apron (obviously replaced), will need another radiator core support. The most recent accident was a T-bone to the drivers door and quarter panel.
I think that it was a 3 speed, drum brake, highland green car.