• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Kind of a new owner ...

robert campbell

Post the VIN number and if it still has the door plate, post those numbers and letters also. We can tell you alot about the car as it came from the dealer. Nothing wrong with drum rear brakes. They work just fine for all but open track or autocross racing!

With what you have found, I wonder how much was really changed on this car. If you jack the car up and look at the bottom of the main case there is a small pad just where the tail housing bolts to the main case. Pointing straight down, and yup it will be gooey.

Clean up that pad and you may find an “abbreviated” VIN number that matches the VIN number on the right side of the dash at the bottom of the windshield. And the title. It should be 8R??????. The last six numbers are the consecutive unit number. May be there may not.

You were sure the engine is not the original as I remember. If you are unsure, the same abbreviated VIN will be on the left ledge of the engine block right behind the rear of the intake manifold. Pointing straight up and yup, gooey!! Kinda hard to see with the hood on as you must cram you head in there!

Treasure hunt!!!

Rob

OP
OP
F

FirecrackerKTM

With 4.11 gears you were turning at least 3600rpm. You (and the car) must have been pretty well worn out at the end of each day!

Oh I'm sure we were! She sucked down the gas (12-13 mpg on the freeways, almost 14 on the two-lane twisties)

Tach is on the list. All this math to figure out how fast I'm going or how far until I need fuel again is a PITA.

Also, that oil leak is REALLY a doozie. It sat on sand before so I didn't realize how much it was leaking. Gotta get the pan fixed asap!

robert campbell

This car has 4.11's!!! She be good for 7 to 8 MPG's max!!

DSCN5450.jpg

rvrtrash

Bringing back an old thread because I met firecrackerKTM today, well, sort of. Saw the car driving down the road, turned around and pulled up next to her. She must have thought I was a stalker or something, but just couldn't resist the lure of seeing another CS in town. Talked for a little bit and invited her to check out the site, not knowing she was already here at one time. Hopefully she comes back.

Steve

mbsf1970

You must have seemed like Danny (Kounts Kustoms) who seemingly follows classic cars all over Vegas trying to talk to owners at stop signs and red lights.....
Stephen

rvrtrash

You must have seemed like Danny (Kounts Kustoms) who seemingly follows classic cars all over Vegas trying to talk to owners at stop signs and red lights.....
Stephen

Not sure about the reference, but I was hoping she wasn't going to call the cops on me. :cheesy:

Steve