• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Kind of a new owner ...

FirecrackerKTM

My mom bought a GT/CS in 1980 and it has been sitting around ever since ... now she finally allowed me to bring it home to give it some TLC and road time. I'd say its in "fair" condition, and modified a bit for performance. After sitting undriven for at least a year it made the trip from WA to CO without a hitch! (other than the cost of gas, ouch).

Anyway, so I've always wanted this car, and it's finally in my garage, and I'm looking forward to learning a bit more and getting it updated a little bit. I might lurk a bit first.

OP
OP
F

FirecrackerKTM

Well ... I was told it's got a hi po 289, but unless someone replaced it, that should be a 302 if it's the original block, right? I haven't started to clean it up and look for tags/casting numbers yet. Either way, it's been built--I remember that the local engine guru in my home town (did a lot of engines for the circle track guys) was supposed to have balanced and blueprinted it. It has a pretty lumpy cam, electronic ignition, shorty headers, Carter 4bbl and the top loader 4 spd. Also supposedly it has a Lincoln 9" with 4.11s, disc brakes and a Detroit locker. About 5 years ago Dad put a disc brake kit in the front, a handling kit (not sure which one), and a set of Torq-Thrusts. It runs and drives GREAT, but my other fun toy is a lifted Jeep so maybe I have low standards :) Definitely putting power steering and power brakes on my wish list.

I should say ... it's going to be a resto mod, since it's already kind of one with that rear end in it. This car has been in my family for 30 years and I do not plan to ever sell it. I'll keep any original parts that we take off, but I want to do some updating for sure.

It doesn't have an quarter panel rust, but there's a little under the hood and somebody dropped an engine on its roof. There are a few assorted other small dings, plus holes in the hood from where a fake hood scoop used to be. It's a very pale yellow (ugh) and the stripes are pretty battered. The heater core must be bad, because somebody looped the hoses (made for a cold ride through WA/ID/UT/WY in April) and mice have been living in the headliner and heater ducts. The dash is really badly warped and the metal parts of the interior panels are rusty, but the seats seem to be in really good condition.

Last edited:

PFSlim

You came to the right place for advise. First, congrats on getting the car home. There is alot of help here. These cars are great cars and if you tear into it, you might need the group to help you identify stuff to put back together. Again, many folks here have taken theirs apart, restored and put back together.

One thing you will find about this group, they are kind to any questions you have and more than willing to help. So....lurk if you want but if you have questions, we are here to help.

Paul

di81977

Congrats on the car. Post some pictures when you get a chance. Also, check the 5th digit in on the vin. C = 289, J = 302. Washington to Colorado, sounds like a nice trip. Where in Colorado are you?

david

Perkchiro

Welcome! Somebody dropped an engine on it's roof? That sounds like an interesting story. Do tell more!

OP
OP
F

FirecrackerKTM

That's all I know of the story unfortunately. Somebody must have tipped a cherrypicker or maybe a ceiling hoist let go? There's a dent on each side of the roof line, just about centered over the window, but bigger on the driver's side.

robert campbell

KTM,
I have owned one of those dirt bikes!!

Just kidding! I am Mr. hack and cut and you could not be in a better place! Before you hate the yellow, look at Neil Hoppe's car "franklinair"!! With a black vinyl top and Shelby ten spokes. AWESOME in my eyes.

Second on the story of an engine on the top??

Sounds like it needs some interior stuff. We can help you through all of that! Some people have some suff just laying around. Want an overhead console? I have a light blue 1967 version that could be dyed and installed! Needs some light parts but is in good shape. Yours for the cost of shipping!

We can help you with the engine numbers and such. Not that it matters, but fun to know. I love to tune these cars for performace. From mild to wild!!

Where in Seattle were your parents?

No question is stupid! Trust me, I have asked every one and you can never catch up to me in stupid automotive moments... With pain comes knowledge!!

WELCOME!!

Rob

OP
OP
F

FirecrackerKTM

Cool! I have an EXC 200 that's been put through the wringer and back.

Parents actually lived near Wenatchee. My grandparents were from Carnation, my inlaws are in Snohomish, and I've lived in Spokane and Ellensburg as well. I like the NW but I like it here in CO too.

I will definitely appreciate some help with interior stuff. I've monkeyed around under the hood before (Owned a 69 Mustang, 75 CJ5, 77 F150 and 95 Wrangler, all of which needed constant attention) but I've never done anything inside before. I haven't decided what color to do it in yet, though. It is black now. I'd like to do it in either gray or red depending on what color the car itself ends up being.

robert campbell

KTM,
Let's see....... Weiand or Paxton supercharger. Retrotek fuel injection. 4.11 Gears. Long tube Ford Powertrain Application Headers from Stan Johnson.

Toploader is fine if you don't cruise far. MSD 6AL for better spark but more important, a rev limiter!! Although some of the new "dis-turb-itors" come with a rev limiter.

Weiand will require a taller hood. Mustangs Plus "ram jet" to the rescue!! Paxton fits under stock hood, but heck, put a Shelby hood on her or the complete 68 Shelby nose!!! That would be my choice!

I can spend other peoples money at the speed of light!!!

Rob

OP
OP
F

FirecrackerKTM

hehe, just about as fast as I can spend money I don't have yet!

I want to make her stick to the road better first. Then make her faster. I've been driving a 4 cylinder Jeep on 33" tires for the last 5 years--the Mustang right now is pretty freakin fast to me. But a 5 spd would be nice.

can y'all remind me, what was so special about the toploader? Stronger? Synchroed? Why was it desirable, or was it just the best available at the time?

robert campbell

KTM,
The Ford “toploader” which debuted in the mid 1960’s was head and shoulders over the Borg Warner T-10 used early on. The toploader is a much stronger case and the term comes with the gears loading in an opening in the top vice the Muncie and T-10 of the time.

The second advantage was a round-machined system of rods and detents visible on the driver side of the case with the top cover off. It made it impossible to ever get between gears when shifting. Many a Ford linkage will jam up, but it is the linkage and not the tranny.

It shifts as fast as anything in the time with a quality shifter on it. Bear with me when I say the Ford shifter is not so good. Properly rebuilt it is ok, but not as precise as a Hurst comp plus.

The Ford built toploader is the standard for 4 speed transmissions. Comes in a wide and close ratio version. 2.32 low for the close ratio or 2.78 low for the wide ratio. Late 1960’s toploaders came in heavy-duty versions for the 428 and 429 engines. 1 and 3/8 diameter input spline vice 1 and 1/16 diameter. 31 spline main shaft vice 28 spline.

The heavy-duty version is wise for high horse power engines set up to race and use low gears and slicks. The less lighter-duty version will handle anything other than tons of track time with slicks mounted.

You have the best 4-speed ever built, and built by Ford!!! By the way, I rebuild them. Bring it up and spend a day with me. We will freshen that baby up if it needs it!! I work nearly for free!! Beer is always accepted! I have one in our 1967 Fastback and hammer it to death!!

Now if you want to talk 5 speeds, lets do that also. With 4:11 gears, a 5 speed starts to make great sense.

Rob

OP
OP
F

FirecrackerKTM

I would totally take you up on that but I'm in CO now!
Thanks for the info. I was definitely thinking about a 5 spd. I remember my hot rodding buddies used to pull the 5 spd out of 80s turbo T-birds and Fox-body Mustangs, which was a T5, IIRC? Was that also a BW trans? Is it an easy swap? I don't know if it was the best available or not, but I remember when the guys put one behind a gnarly built 460 in a '34 coupe and it held up longer than the axle shafts did.

robert campbell

KTM,
The old T5's were not as durable as the newer Tremac 5 speeds. For what you have they will work just fine. You either need to buy a new one or source from a newer Mustang. I am unsure when this occured. Someone else on the site may know.

The T5 more than likely lastest longer in the 34 due to little weight!!!

You will need to either go with a cable clutch or a hydraulic clutch. Modern Drive Trains has a cable conversion I just did to our Fastback. Easy to do and about $250 bucks. I am a little disapponted in my pedal pressure as this is my wifes car. It is not bad but a little heavier that I thought it would be. My biggest complaint is it needs a "long throw" to fully disengage it. So My clutch pedal is higher than my brake pedal and I hate that. Picky picky!!

Before I spent a lot of bucks on my 4-speed I would get a Tremac. I have been running mine since the late 1980's! To cheap to buy a 5 speed yet! I have an AOD in the other car and love the overdrive!

Rob

p51

With a 4.11 rear end, the 5-speed is definitely the way to go :teleport:

hookedtrout

Nice combination, CS and a Jeep. I too have a 68 CS and a 93 Wrangler 4 liter 6, among other junk that gets me back and forth daily with blue ovals.

OP
OP
F

FirecrackerKTM

We actually have quite a stable ... herd? ... I had a Jeep when I met my husband, and so did he, so now we have two. (no question of selling one) He also had a 96 Impreza for a nice little DD that has 230k on the clock, which still runs awesome. We are thinking about getting a pickup because EVERYBODY needs a truck, there's one snowmobile and (so far) two KTMs. I wanted to get a pair of street bikes this year too but now with the Mustang that might have to wait a bit.

Both of us grew up with vehicles filling the garage/driveway, so I guess we were doomed from the beginning.