• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Roof inner structure photo required without headliner (kind of urgent)

gtcs1

Hi all,

I need to do some work on the inside of the roof, in the forward portion, near the windshield.

Before removing the headliner to access the area, I'd prefer to see a picture of the sheet metal (headliner removed) in this area if anybody might have that.

There must be a crossmenber there, I'm interested to see that, I need the area just aft of the windshield , from left visor mount area to the right visor mount area.

If you've got that, or anything close to that, I would gretly appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited:

Trap68

Here you go...

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 28
  • middle.jpg
    middle.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 24
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 21
  • overall.jpg
    overall.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Mustanglvr

Great pictures Trap68, how about some of the back part of the structure? I have no headliner installed and am comparing the structure of my car to yours.
My car has rusted behind the metal braces on the back corners of the roof. It goes all the way through to the exterior. Has anyone ever had a Mustang(any year) rust in this place? It seems it may have retained moisture behind these braces. I have never seen rust in this location on a Mustang before. I`ll see if I have a picture.

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

Here are pics of the outside rust anyway. Its on both sides of the car and it looks like someone tried sanding it down at one time.

I think the second picture shows the rust behind the driprail. That will have to be rebuilt. Thats what it`s called, right? A driprail?

Attachments

• ssssssss007.jpg
    ssssssss007.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 31
  • tttttttt006.jpg
    tttttttt006.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
G

gtcs1

Trap68 said:
Here you go...

I knew I could count on this forum great persons to help me. Exactly what i needed.

I am wondering, presuming this is a recent photo and you still have access to this area, if you could measure the dimensions of the crossbeam from the front to the back edge of the flange (meaning from the windshield cut-out to the aft edge of the flange of the crossmember. That must be something like 3 inches approx, I would need the real dimension.

If I can ask for more , it would be nice to have a picture like the left one but taken at an angle to get a better appreciation of this cross beam shape and dimension in relation with the visor mounting bracket. Also same area but looking straight up to this area from underneath should be more than sufficient to tell me all I needed to know from this area.

Thanks you so much again Trap68, quite appreciated to do my work.

Last edited:

Trap68

Here's a straight up shot at the cross section. Looks to be about 2.5 inches.

Attachments

• measured.jpg
    measured.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
G

gtcs1

Trap68 said:
Here's a straight up shot at the cross section. Looks to be about 2.5 inches.

Thank you so much for this. Exactly what I needed. With this info I can figure out my work I have to do.

I'm just overwhelmed as to how much this forum is good, and the great help we can get here. You resolved my problem, I just wasn't sure if the first pictures you posted were old ones or you just took them now. Great help.

Thanks again Trap68.

Trap68

Glad that I could be of some help...I'm in the process of tearing down my car (68 San Jose Coupe) so if you need any other pictures let me know and I'll take some.

Cheers!

Rick

Trap68

Mustanglvr said:
Great pictures Trap68, how about some of the back part of the structure? I have no headliner installed and am comparing the structure of my car to yours.
My car has rusted behind the metal braces on the back corners of the roof. It goes all the way through to the exterior. Has anyone ever had a Mustang(any year) rust in this place? It seems it may have retained moisture behind these braces. I have never seen rust in this location on a Mustang before. I`ll see if I have a picture.

Rhonda,

I'll take some more pictures tommorrow detailing the interior roof section. Also, I have access to the interior section of the B pillars (where your's is rusting out)...just to give you a perspective of what they should look like sans rust.

Rick

BroadwayBlue

Isn't the spot where Rhonda's car is rusting the place where the roof would have been attached and they welded it? I think someone said with lead maybe.

That's the spot on mine where I have a bit of a ripple ... I've been told by people on this site and locally that it is a common occurrence due to the welding of the roof.

Or am I totally off base?

Mosesatm

You're right, Rich, that is where the roof and quarter panel are welded together. The workers then spread lead over the weld but they spread and smoothed it so fast and carelessly there is almost always a ripple.

Once in a while a little bubble or two will appear under the lead from trapped moisture, but I don't think total rust-through at that joint is a common problem. Could it be that the quarters were replaced at some point and the welds are rusting due to imporper prep work under the paint?

It'd be interesting to find out if the backs of the panels were painted or treated with anything at the factory after they were welded. We might all have raw metal back there just waiting to rust if the conditions are right.

Mustanglvr

Thanks Rick, everybody. When Doug visited last summer he said according to the numbers on the front fenders and rear quarter panels, that they were original to the car. So I don`t think they`ve been replaced. What are the numbers supposed to be on those? Just a date code or something?

Trap68

Rhonda,

As promised, here are the pics of the rear inside pillars. Pretty clean for a 36 year old car and that San Jose red oxide really stands out. My car originally came with a vinyl top and one of the previous oweners removed the vinyl and had the holes for the rear trim welded up. I plan on putting the vinyl back on and its nice to see that I have a template already in place to drill the holes for that trim.

Cheers!
Rick

Attachments

• leftpillar.jpg
    leftpillar.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 26
  • rightpillar.jpg
    rightpillar.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 32

Perkchiro

Rhonda: You have metal cancer. It's elective surgery but you can't delay the cure forever. Find a GOOD sheet metal fabricator and get ready for a new paint job. Save your car before it's too late!
Steve

Mustanglvr

Thanks Rick for all the trouble you went to.
Steve, you`re right, I plan on getting it repaired with some new metal in all the rusty areas and then paint. I`m hoping once we get moved I`ll find a place that specializes in Mustangs. I`ll pay them in monthly payments if I have too.
So whats with the design of those inner braces anyway? What was the idea behind that? Was it for safety in case of rollover but trying to keep it as lightweight as possible?
So anybody with a 68 Mustang has the potential of having moisture and rust in this area? It would be a good place to check before doing a restoration I`m sure.

rvrtrash

Mustanglvr said:
So anybody with a 68 Mustang has the potential of having moisture and rust in this area? It would be a good place to check before doing a restoration I`m sure.

Actually it's anyone with any year or body style of Ford from that era, and probably all the other guys also. They need to weld the roof on somewhere in the pillar and it's just welded with spot welds so in a moist environment, rust can get in from behind.

Steve