• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Just bought a cs... questions

chip

Just bought a project cs. One thing I have noticed on ebay is that a lot of people are willing to spend 10-12k on a car that needs everything, but no-one is willing to spend 20k on one that has been completely restored. Anyone else notice this?

Got the marti report proving it's real.
more pics and info to come.

DeadStang

One thing I have noticed on ebay is that a lot of people are willing to spend 10-12k on a car that needs everything, but no-one is willing to spend 20k on one that has been completely restored. Anyone else notice this?

Yep! Restored cars are always a better deal financially when you compare the costs associated with getting the "cheap" junker into comparable condition.

@Holmes

For me I'd rather get a car that is untouched than one that's "complete." That way there are no surprises. The project route is cheaper in the short term, and also because it's a hobby.

BroadwayBlue

Welcome to the wold of CS ownership Chip and to the site!

You've come to the right place for info on the cars.

Good Luck, looking forward to pictures!

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

Welcome to the GT/CS family Chip! :smile:
We look forward to pics and any other info about you and your car.

PFSlim

Welcome to the site. You may be correct, but I am hoping not as I just put my finished GT/CS on the classified forum!!

Look forward to your pictures.

Paul

mnut

I know how you feel!

Hi Chip.

Boy am I in agreement with you since I'm selling my highly optioned "J" code CS close to the 20k mark and mine is mostly done. I know that I didn't paint the bottom of the car nor rebuild the engine, but with the new paint job, new interior, and a real original car that I could back up with documentation, I can't figure out some of the lowball offers I've gotten and goofy trade offers. Mine was so original before paint that I had the factory inspector's marks still on the car(yes,I took before pix and videos of them too),I mean all over the car too, all of its correct Shelby components, and the elusive foam strip on the inside of the trunk, correct tail light grommets, and the purple tag at the tail light panel. The only thing not original on my car is it has a replacement Motorcraft carb from 1971.VIN is stamped on the engine. No shopping around at a swap meet to complete a car so original as mine. I even have the original owner's log book back to 1969 with all of his personal trips in the car, and repair records.Yep,some people will buy one at 12K then slap a whole bunch of $$ into it,end up over 25K,look back and say...what the heck!
On the flip side... I also know that some people have only a 12K budget and will do a drive it now/resto it on the go when funds become available.Good luck with the CS.

Bob in Ohio

classicsguy

Just bought a project cs. One thing I have noticed on ebay is that a lot of people are willing to spend 10-12k on a car that needs everything, but no-one is willing to spend 20k on one that has been completely restored. Anyone else notice this?

Got the marti report proving it's real.
more pics and info to come.

I have been watching e bay for GT/CS projects and finished cars for a few years now and I agree with you on 100% basis. project GT/CS sell very well and meet reserve prices quickly however finished cars almost never meet reserve and they are relisted many many times. I do not have the budget to buy a complete car but if the right project comes along I better grab it and restore as funds become available but at least I have the car and the restoration is the fun part that comes after the purchase>