• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 I bought an old shed!

Scott

Hi,

Exchanged contracts and deposit on this place on Friday afternoon!!!

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Tempe/?adid=2008679990

Any suggestions on the best way to use my new-found 435 sqm? (that's roughly the same in square yards)

Going out for pricing and concepts from a few architects this week. Converting it into house as well as garage. Maybe an indoor/outdoor pool and atrium too. The important decision is - how many car spaces???? Four seems like enough but is that just because I've only got three cars at the moment?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Scott, when you said "shed" I was thinking of what we in the US call a Tuff Shed. Clearly you do things a little bigger down under!

That is a very cool project! I would love to tackle something like that some day. Please share your design plans as you go through the process. As an architect I'm curious to see what you end up doing with the space.

If you already have 3 cars then 4 won't be enough. :smile: I'd go 5 at least. Things like bathrooms and kitchens are overrated, so don't let those get in the way of vehicle stalls. :wink:

robert campbell

Not sure what part of town it is in.... Heck, I would modify and move in! Looks like one big home and garage!!

Rob

OP
OP
S

Scott

Indeed it is my intention to move in. Cars, kitchen, lounge, pool, bar, bbq and guest rooms downstairs with main bedroom upstairs out the front.

It's about 5km to the cbd of Sydney and 4 stops on the train to central station. Golf course and fishing spots about 1km away. The rest of the street is small cottages from the same era of 1900s-1920s.

Here's my first sketch of what might fit which I used to estimate the cost.

Any architects out there?

Attachments

• bridge st concept.pdf
    115.4 KB · Views: 48

hookedtrout

Looks pretty awesome, I think I'd move the one bath and pantry down by the bedrooms and extend the garage a little deeper in, maximize that space. Sure looks like a lot of fun.

rvrtrash

I would move the kitchen/pantry to the foyer side of the house (lounge area) so when you carry groceries in you don't have to go through much of the house. Put a dining area just past that on the same side. Fill the "old" kitchen area with a bedroom, den, or media room, or two. These would be easy to take out later when you discover you really would like a bigger garage because there is no plumbing involved. I'm not sure I'd put the pool in the house, because of the chemical smell and moisture. Just some thoughts.

Steve

Midnight Special

Wow Scott, that's some shed!
Gosh, with all that space, why not set it up like this!...
;-)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 37
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
S

Scott

Thanks for the ideas so far...

Thanks for all the ideas. At this stage I'm not set on anything. The pool idea is a bit over the top but would be glazed, with the lower section of the roof removed.

Tim - that explains what the rails on the floor can be used for!

Attachments

• 2008679990_2_FS.JPG
    2008679990_2_FS.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 41

robert campbell

We had an old fire station sell here 10 years ago. I found out too late, but more than likely it was already "sold" before the public knew about it. It had a super view of the water and lots of possibilities. Not much land, but lots of shop space and already set up for living stuff above with the view.

I heard it sold for a "ridiculously cheap" price. Came up for sale a few years later after some renovation for a "ridiculously expensive" price.

It would have been so cool!!

Rob

CougarCJ

We had an old fire station sell here 10 years ago. I found out too late, but more than likely it was already "sold" before the public knew about it. It had a super view of the water and lots of possibilities. Not much land, but lots of shop space and already set up for living stuff above with the view.

I heard it sold for a "ridiculously cheap" price. Came up for sale a few years later after some renovation for a "ridiculously expensive" price.

It would have been so cool!!

Rob

I agree, a fire house would make a cool place to live. I would definitely keep the fire poll too. Ghost Busters comes to mind.

OP
OP
S

Scott

Great Idea Rob & CJ!

I've been pushing for spiral stairs but my wife's not keen... now a fire pole will either be really cool or make her realise the spiral stairs aren't so bad. I'll let you know how that goes.

OP
OP
S

Scott

Got a reply from an architect yesterday. He reckons that my budget is too tight to do anything worth having and that the 15m x 3m lap pool alone would cost about $120,000.00!