• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How to tell if it's a gt?

crmont

I have a gt/cs; (8R01J157624) (65A O 2G 17D 71 5 5) I've had it about 10 years. I just listed it for posting in the registry. The previous owner said "yeah, but this is actually a GT." I didn't really belive him becouse he was trying to sell me the car. It has a 7/8" sway bar, flip cap with the horse, gt vallance on the rear with the quad tipped exaust, no tach. So what else should I look for? Is the sway bar too small for a gt?

patty.dilabio

G.T. Identification

Hello I'm just going to add my 2 cents worth.A real G.T. has a lot of small details that make it unique.The exhaust is one of the simple ways to verify if it is a real one or not.The floor pan has extra stiffening plates on the inside of the rear floor pan visible when the rear seat base is removed.This is also the easiest thing to check,and is done without the use of tools or a hoist! Check it out and let us know.I also would spend the money and have a Marti report done,it may show you have a G.T.yet do not have the special handiling package,which would explain a lot of things! Enjoy!

OP
OP
crmont

crmont

Are these plates vertical, tapering down as they get closer to the center of the car? (like a wedge) Approx 1/8" thick? If so I think I have them. I would have to tear up the sound blanket material under the seat to inspect further.

68gt390

You have the correct sway bar. Below is a listing of what made up the GT Equipment Package:

- Round 4" fog lamps w/fog light wiring harness
-C-Stripe
-GT Badging on the Fenders
-Dual Exhaust with Chrome Quad Exhaust Tips
-GT Pop Open Gas Cap
-Special Handling Package (HD Leaf springs rear/HD Front Springs and HD shocks, 7/8" or 15/16" front sway bar, power front disc brakes, 16:1 steering gear)
-Styled Steel Wheels w/GT center caps and trim rings (either argent paint or chrome)
-Chrome Engine Components (Big Blocks Only)

Keep in mind on the GT/CS the round 4" fog lights, C Stripe, GT badging on fenders and GT Pop Open Gas cap were omitted and replaced with Marchal or Lucas fog lights, GT/CS side stripe, Pop Open gas cap with running horse emblem.

Still, if you do not have a Marti Report, I would invest the money to obtain one. It's definitely worth it's weight in gold. Plus, it helps eleviate any nervousness you may have about your car being a true GT optioned car. Plus it will tell you what options were also ordered on the car. If I've left anything out I'm sure others here on the site can add those items. Hope this helps.

Don :wink:

OP
OP
crmont

crmont

I just ordered the report. I suppose it comes in the mail. I forgot; I also have the chrome wheels with the gt center caps

Attachments

• MVC-290F.JPG
    MVC-290F.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 48

68gt390

Very nice looking car. I have attached a photo of my 68 GT 390 Coupe so you can see the difference between the GT Coupe and GT/CS. By the way I forgot earlier - Welcome to the site. Now that your a member be sure to post some photo's in your gallery.

Don

Attachments

• 68 GT.JPG
    68 GT.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
crmont

crmont

Some more pictures. The closeup is the tachometer. I got a little cute with it.:pimp:

Attachments

• MVC-820X.JPG
    MVC-820X.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 32
  • MVC-854X.JPG
    MVC-854X.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 46
  • MVC-864X.JPG
    MVC-864X.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 46

Mustanglvr

crmont said:
Thanks. I sent Paul a PM. I hope he doesn't mind.

A PM is ok to contact Paul, but he prefers to have the information for the registry sent to him by snail mail.
I decoded your data plate and it is
65 A -Hardtop, standard interior
O -Seafoam green exterior
2G -Ivy gold vinyl buckets interior
17D -April 17th, date built
71 -Los Angeles DSO
5 -2.83:1 axle ratio
5 - 4 speed manual transmission

OP
OP
crmont

crmont

It was restored sometime in the past. I'm thinking about repainting it to it's factory colors. Im curious as to what was black and what was ivy gold in the interior. It's hard to find an original car with this color combo for reference. The one that went for 50k at BJ auction had this color combo but I don't think the interior was factory original.

Mustanglvr

Here are pics of Ivy gold interior I found on Google. I could try to find more if you like.:smile:

Attachments

• cdplayer.jpg
    cdplayer.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 25
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 26
  • open%20door.jpg
    open%20door.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
crmont

crmont

This is where it gets difficult. Since I have a manual shift with a center console (all black of course) it's hard to visualize what the interior may have liked like. I would like to think it looked like this one;:icon_lol:

Attachments

• 2006BJCCA2_419a_Int.jpg
    2006BJCCA2_419a_Int.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 41

Mustanglvr

crmont said:
This is where it gets difficult. Since I have a manual shift with a center console (all black of course) it's hard to visualize what the interior may have liked like. I would like to think it looked like this one;:icon_lol:

I`m pretty sure everything in the interior of the car can either be painted or dyed.

OP
OP
crmont

crmont

Will the report tell me if it had a vinyl top and what color?

somethingspecial

Welcome to the site. I have pictures of an un-molested ivy gold interior for you to look at. I am at work now, and will try to down load the pictures later. My Highland Green has Ivy Gold interior as well. All painted areas, ie. metal dash, door interior metal, rear seat quarter panels, steering columb are painted light Ivy Gold. The Dash pad is a darker green, as are the door panels, and carpet. The seats are light Ivy Gold on the outer bolsters, with a Kiwi center insert. The head liner is light Ivy Gold, but looks more Tan. The console would be a light Ivy Gold on the plastic, and the pads can very. I have seen black, Dark Green, Med. Green, and Light green. The dash trim is black across the board, unless you have deluxe interior, then it would be wood grain. I hope this helps. Mike

OP
OP
crmont

crmont

Thanks. Look foreward to the pictures

Thanks. I Look foreward to seeing the pictures. BTW I have seen my O paint code with both a white and black stripe. I bet the stripe might determine the interior trim colors (dark green Vs. white?).