• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

cellbio

I have a 1968 Cal. Special. It is my wife's car and she was told that it is a Shelby Cal. Special. Was such a car ever made and do any of the normal 68 Cal. Specials come stock with a cobra engine and wheels? She was told that it is 1 of 50 that Carroll Shelby made. Is that a lie and what do I have?
Thanks for your help..

Attachments

• small_back.jpg
    small_back.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 10

-=MUSTANG=-

Sounds like someone who isn't familiar with the history of the GT/CS trying to sound like they are. The Cobra engine dress up kits and Shelby 10 spokes have been available as aftermarket accessories for quite some time, they were apparantly added by a previous owner. Regardless of the story heard, your car looks like a real nice California Special. Do you have a Marti report? that will help answer any questions you have about your car.

OP
OP
C

cellbio

Are you saying that I am trying to say that I know more than I really do? Hey man I don't know anything, that is why I made the post. I came to your board for help. I just wanted to know what I have. You guys are the experts NOT me. Anyway thanks for your help, I think.

P

PNewitt

In all my research for the GT/CS books, I've never heard of this--the 50 "Shelby" edition GT/CS cars (???).

An L.A. dealer might have done this, but I have heard of many of these "Shelby" type of cars. You hear a lot of rumors of "Shelby" this and that limited editions.

It lacks the rear decklid stripes. Is there any paperwork on this car? What is the DSO? 71? There WERE a few Mustangs "modified" at the Shelby plant at LAX on evenings and weekends, then over the years you hear claims of these cars being some sort of Shelby limited edition; when there were only some parts bolted on.

A Marti report would shed SOME light, but only the Ford side of things--not Shelby. You might ask Rick Kopec, or Vincent Liska at SAAC (Shelby American Automobile Club). They have never told me about this type of GT/CS.

Paul Newitt
Registrar--GT/CS Registry.

OP
OP
C

cellbio

Thank you PNewitt.. I appreciate your help. I thought that the story was a bit fishy but I needed some proof. I had a friend look up the vin and he said that the car was originally black. How it got blue I don't know. At the risk of sounding like a total ioiot I have to ask what the DSO and the Marti report are. I have all the peperwork at the house so I should be able to give you what ever info you were talking about.

68sunlitgold

cellbio,
The DSO is located on the door tag, look at the driver door just below the latch there should be a metal plate with numbers on it. The top number should be the cars VIN number. Then below that you will see 7 different areas: Body, color, trim, date, DSO, axle and trans. Look at the 5th set of numbers and it should be one of the DSO (domestic special orders) numbers that sold GT/CS's...they were 71, 72, 73,74,75, 65, 61, 62, 53, B6, B7 and 51 ( a 51 would actually make it a HCS). Here is a link to plug in your cars numbers and find out info on it:
http://www.fomoco.com/mustang-vin-decoder.shtml

And since these cars are becoming so popular, there are becoming many that are being faked. There is only one (well maybe 2 if you have all the original paperwork) way to tell what a early mustang came with. Kevin Marti has the "rights" to Ford info which he then reproduces your cars info, here is the link from this site on it (scroll down about half way):
http://www.californiaspecial.com/resources.htm#g
The report should state the "options" and will say "California Special"....it is well worth the effort to prove your car is a real GT/CS.

Who knows may be the report will tell you that the car is some type of special "Shelby" car. I don't think it is just a very good looking California Special.

I imagine the reason someone state the car was a Shelby Cal. Special was because that most of the fiberglass on the Cal Spec came from the 68 Shelby Convertible (side scoops on GT/CS are not cutout). The car has been known as a "poor mans Shelby" but none of us that own one think that....instead a very rare and unique 68 Mustang.

Good Luck with your (or should I say your wife's?) car.

Doug

PS.. Keep the question coming, there is always someone here that can answer them and don't feel bad about not knowing much about the car, everyone here was in your shoes at one point. The reason Jon started this site was to inform people about the car....you have come to the right place.

P

PNewitt

Thanks, Doug for an excellent response to Cellbio.

I just wanted to add that sometimes people confuse the "CS" on the stripe with it representing "Carroll Shelby".

Obviously, it is not.

If this car was originally painted black, and if it has no rear deck stripes (not easily available back in the 1970s-80s)--and has a silver-painted taillight panel (like a '68 Shelby), I'm wondering if the previous owner painted and striped the car, and added the wheels and valve covers to make it more "Shelby"--and called it a "Shelby GT/CS"??.

A lot can happen to these cars in 35 years.

Paul.

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=cellbio link=board=1;threadid=946;start=0#msg5233 date=1085974595]
Are you saying that I am trying to say that I know more than I really do? Hey man I don't know anything, that is why I made the post.
[/quote]
That's not what he said at all. What he said was, whoever told your wife that it was a Shelby, didn't know what he was talking about and was trying to sound like he did.

OP
OP
C

cellbio

I agree with you 66 Dearborn HCS. I just wanted to know the truth about the car. I need some type of proof for my wife that the car is not what it was said to be. Don't get me wrong it is a beautyful car and something we want to restore but as for it being some 1 of 50 super special cars from Shelby, I highly dought it. Sorry if I misunderstood =mustang= earlier wasn't sure how to take what he wrote. Can someone tell me why the car has the cobra engine in it. Was that an option for the GT/CS or was it put in after. What is the cobra engine dress up kit and how do I tell if that is what it is? I posted one more pic of the car if it helps. By the way I appreciate all the posts and help. I really like the forum....Thanks

Attachments

• small_side.jpg
    small_side.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 17

68sunlitgold

cellbio,
The term "cobra engine" means a standard V8 engine with different parts placed on it by someone. These different parts where usually: valve covers (with "cobra" on them), air cleaner and chromed oil filler cap (maybe more). This part swap could have been done by a dealer or any owner. The 68 CS came only with engines available from Ford for 68: Inline 6, 289, 302, 390 (2bl), 390 (4bl), and 428. The 68 Shelby Mustang came with either a 302 or 428. All Shlebys had the "cobra" additions on them already and Ford wanted non-Shelby owners to be able to have these same additions, hence a "Cobra dress-up kit". The name Cobra comes from the maker of the Shelby, Carrol Shelby and his first designed car, the Shelby Cobra.

Doug

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=cellbio link=board=1;threadid=946;start=0#msg5239 date=1086034879]
I agree with you 66 Dearborn HCS. I just wanted to know the truth about the car. I need some type of proof for my wife that the car is not what it was said to be. [/quote]

Get a Marti report then. That will clear up ALL confusion.

-=MUSTANG=-

Thanks 66, cellbio my comment was about the guy telling your wife about the history of the California Special.

Eastcoast

What is the vin # on the car and possibly the door tag. Many here can decode those numbers a good bit to tell you a little more. You also can get a free report from Ford called the 999 report. I believe you can get the phone # to do that in the resources section of this website. Hope this helps
Dave

68sunlitgold

Dave,
is right on the Ford "999" report but be aware that I have them for some of my cars along with the Marti reports and the "999" is missing some items.

Doug

hcsstang

::)I would't rely on the Ford report because I found some things wrong with mine. I was talking to a mustang dealer and he said the same thing. Marti will not be in Carlisle. :-[
Hope to see some of you tomorrow. I was help setting up and ran across a GTCS. So far that one so far. :)