• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 fuel gauge

whodat

I recently removed the instrument cluster and replaced the camera case and lenses. I replaced all the blue globes. I reinstalled all the gauges. When I started the car the fuel gauge was pegged all the way full, when it wasn't. So I reinstalled the wires and it worked fine. Today I was working on the car and everything was normal. When I went for a road test the fuel gauge pegged out full again. What do you think the problem is?

franklinair

The fuel gage meter movement looks for a low resistance (or Ground) to read FULL. If it is intermittently going to FULL, either the sending unit is failing or the wire from the sender to the gage is intermittently shorting to Ground.

Neil

Mosesatm

To expand a little on Neil's point, check to make sure the connector at the back of the tank is attached and isn't shorting out. This connector gets old and crusty and tends to break inside its boot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
whodat

whodat

Thanks, there must be a connector problem. Yesterday I filled the tank. Today when I went for a drive the gauge worked. And then it went way past full and fluctuates. I have been getting some good compliments from the work I have done since I got the car.

hookedtrout

Thanks, there must be a connector problem. Yesterday I filled the tank. Today when I went for a drive the gauge worked. And then it went way past full and fluctuates. I have been getting some good compliments from the work I have done since I got the car.

Share those pictures and we'll give you some more compliments. ;-)

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

O.K. I am having trouble getting the picture's down to size. Today we worked on the suspension. Tomorrow we should finish. Then to the radio shop. And a front end alignment.

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

Anybody know where that thread on trouble shooting the fuel electrical is at? I can't find it. This problem with the fuel gauge is very frustrating. I put everything back together today and it still has the same problem. More work on it tomorrow.

TraveledGTCS

Check the bottom of the page and it will list similar threads on the one being read. (I found out by accident when I was looking for a "look-up" feature, and discovered the list of similar threads listing.)