• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Fuel Gauge / Sender

NosAvrenim

Hi forum! I've been on this site for a while; quietly reading threads and enjoying the conversation. This is my first official forum post asking for thoughts/advice/suggestions.

I recently purchased JohnnyQuest515's (and formerly Magnum's) 390 X code. :grin: Overall, she's in great shape, but needs a bit TLC.

So I spent the weekend troubleshooting the fuel gauge and installing a new dash pad and instrument bezel/panel. JohnnyQuest said that the gauge issues may be due to the voltage regulator. So while the dash was out, I went ahead and replace it (inexpensive part, so figured I go for it). While I had the dash out, I tested the gauge and wiring harness (for current flow/resistance and also with a small power source to verify the gauge would register). Everything checked out. Plugged everything back together and nothing. :frust:

So I got under the car to test out the fuel sender and found that it wasn't even connected! Tested the sender itself by just checking for current flow/resistance and it looked good.

I then tested the wiring between the dash all the way to the sender plug and everything checked out. So I plugged the wiring into the sender (after finding it tucked away above the rear wheel well. Still no go. :frust:

Anyone have any thoughts as to what the problem might be and what I should be looking for (or what I didn't test correctly)? I've checked a few threads on this and other sites, but didn't see anything that might help (other than just dropping the coin for a new sender). I'm sure some of the experts here on the forum have seen this before.

GTCSMustang

I'll bet the float has a hole rusted in it and will not float. It's almost always the float. It's easy to check. Just pull the sending unit out (drain the gas first) and take a look.

Let us know what you find.

Scott

franklinair

Ground the connector at the sending unit. The gage should then read 'Full'. This will verify the circuit & gage functionality. If OK, the only thing left is the sending unit.

Neil

CougarCJ

I found a Rotunda fuel gauge and sender tester at a yard sale a couple of years ago.

rvrtrash

Neil is correct. What did you read when you ohmmed the sender? If you had gas in the tank and it read 75-80 ohms or higher, the sender is bad.

Steve

OP
OP
N

NosAvrenim

Neil is correct. What did you read when you ohmmed the sender? If you had gas in the tank and it read 75-80 ohms or higher, the sender is bad.

Steve

To be honest, I can't remember. I'll need to check Friday when I get back into town. Unfortunately, I'm traveling for work this week and can't touch her until I get back.
Thanks for all the info so far. I'll post up what I find Friday.

OP
OP
N

NosAvrenim

Turns out that it was the sender. When I drained the tank, I could hear the sender float rolling around inside. Since I had the tank aleady drained, I went ahead and installed a 1970 tank (22 gallons). Took just a little bit tweaking, but works great and you can't tell from inside unless you look really close. And now I have an extra 6 gallons of range

Thanks for all the help and advice.

GT/CS S Code

Groan ...

Last year we installed a brand new fuel tank and sending unit (16 gallon stock) in our "S" code, but unfortunately I wasn't aware of the larger 22 gallon tank being a basic "bolt in" using the '70 sending unit. Groan ...
:sad:
If I'd know this I'm sure that we'd have gone this route instead. I might still "bite the bullet" and swap it out again for the larger tank just for extended cruising range on longer trips.
:rolleyes:
We're heading up to Kamloops in August for their "Hot August Nites" event and it will be a fair distance between Chevron stations driving up that long, lovely highway in a 390 with the secondaries open some of the time. (Not that I would be tempted to tromp the gas pedal anywhere along the way of course ...)
:wink:

robert campbell

Turns out that it was the sender. When I drained the tank, I could hear the sender float rolling around inside. Since I had the tank aleady drained, I went ahead and installed a 1970 tank (22 gallons). Took just a little bit tweaking, but works great and you can't tell from inside unless you look really close. And now I have an extra 6 gallons of range

Thanks for all the help and advice.

I work for systems Planning and Analysis out of Alexandria VA.

Live and work in Seattle area for them.

Rob

OP
OP
N

NosAvrenim

Last year we installed a brand new fuel tank and sending unit (16 gallon stock) in our "S" code, but unfortunately I wasn't aware of the larger 22 gallon tank being a basic "bolt in" using the '70 sending unit. Groan ...
:sad:

Yep, pretty much a bolt in mod (both the tank and sender). Only modification really needed is to cut off a small bit of the fuel filler pipe and to adjust the angle the opening on the tank -- to align with the filler pipe. Other than that went smooth as can be.

Only thing I noticed was that my local station (a BP -- I know, I know) only let me fill up to 18+/- gallons. Need to look at that next weekend.

If anyone needs/wants a 16gal tank. I'll give the spare away for cost of shipping (still have the box from the 22gal). Otherwise, it'll go to the recycler.

~Nate

CougarCJ

If anyone needs/wants a 16gal tank. I'll give the spare away for cost of shipping (still have the box from the 22gal). Otherwise, it'll go to the recycler.

~Nate

I do not believe that there is any shipper that will let you ship a fuel tank that has been used.

gofastguy

Only thing I noticed was that my local station (a BP -- I know, I know) only let me fill up to 18+/- gallons. Need to look at that next weekend.

~Nate
I seem to have some difficulty getting a full tank myself. If I fill until the nozzle shuts off, I end up with around 7/8 tank. If I keep going then I end up with gas on my cap and back bumper. Is there some kind of trick I should know about?